Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron leather barrel grips - source?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Tamron leather barrel grips - source? Reply with quote

Hi all, back in the 70's the Tamron range of adaptall lenses came with a sort of grained leather effect on the barrels.

For example, here

I have seen some where this is clearly a flexible rubber type material, and others where it has, over time, hardened and become brittle. Anyone know of a source for a replacement?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an old Vivitar 200/3.5 from Komine which I bought without a grip but it's in lovely condition.
I have been looking to replace the grip and I'm considering buying a piece of self-adhesive leather from Aki Asahi in Japan.

I bought a recovering kit from him a while ago for a Fed 2 rangefinder and his service was excellent.

I am tempted to send him dimensions and it would probably cost less than £15 delivered.

Just a thought Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that type of texture in the "no-slip" traction tape that is intended to be put on the edges of stair steps... I think most of those are too coarse for your hands, but perhaps some are softer?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always look for a piece of thin leather and stick it with two-sided adhesive tape (red tape). It works well. Cutting the leather is easy if you do it with a circular cutter, over a piece of flat glass and with an iron ruler.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I asked was that I had captured a Tammy 35-100 on *bay with these grips "loose".

I can confirm that this model at least has rubber grips, but they have lost their elasticity, either through time, exposure to light, or by being glued down with contact cement. I have cleaned them off and soaked them in boiling water to no avail.

I am currently negotiating some self-adhesive leatherette with a well known camera covering firm and I'll let you know how I get on. Would be nice to discover a way to re-elasticise the originals though. Any industrial chemists/rubber engineers out there?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it work to just put some double-sided tape under the original rubber grips?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:
Would it work to just put some double-sided tape under the original rubber grips?

No, I think they have expanded too much unfortunately!