Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto-Yashinon 50mm f2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Auto-Yashinon 50mm f2 Reply with quote

Old chrome tipped Yashinon on Sony Alpha 700. I love this glass.

Regards

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
Old chrome tipped Yashinon on Sony Alpha 700. I love this glass.

And it is good to see why. Lovely pictures.
Only in the fifth the bokeh is a bit busy for me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The love these old Yashicas. They tend to have busy bokeh Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has long been undervalued - probably because it is "slow" (at f2!). Yashica replaced it, I believe, with the 1.7 version. Agree aboout Yash glass.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres an image of the lens

Minolfan wrote:

Kathmand wrote:

Old chrome tipped Yashinon on Sony Alpha 700. I love this glass. .

And it is good to see why. Lovely pictures.
Only in the fifth the bokeh is a bit busy for me.

Thanks, bokeh is relative to your personal taste Very Happy

ManualFocus-G wrote:
The love these old Yashicas. They tend to have busy bokeh Smile

You meant "The Shrek" love these old Yashicas Very Happy . I like the busy bokeh; depending on the how the light interacts with the background, the shape of the background image , the set aperture and the distance of the background in question- for most lenses.

patrickh wrote:
This has long been undervalued - probably because it is "slow" (at f2!). Yashica replaced it, I believe, with the 1.7 version. Agree aboout Yash glass.

patrickh

Your'e right about the speed, . This feels pretty nice,looks good and is very light on your camera.

Thank you all for your comments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah! That's the one I also have.
It's pretty compact but relatively heavy.

Excellent shots, BTW!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Carsten- you should post some images Very Happy . This lens can produce beautiful bokeh and sharp images even wide open.Congrats ,this is a lens one needs to hang on to- Very Happy Very Happy .
I am currently on a quest to aquire an Auto-Takumar 55mm -(preset), which looks identical.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just two quick snaps to check sharpness wide open and bokeh...

(Dim indoor light, EOS 300D, ISO 400, 1/25s and 1/13s, handheld)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice indoor colors Carsten-and the isolation of the labelmaker and parts of the camera are super. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks nice results. I wonder how it performance compared to Yashica ML 50/2 version

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see the OP's pics (banned here) but I have the older alu 5cm F1.8 version. I was one of my favourite lenses, but sadly hits the 5D's mirror.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
looks nice results. I wonder how it performance compared to Yashica ML 50/2 version

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I can't see the OP's pics (banned here) but I have the older alu 5cm F1.8 version. I was one of my favourite lenses, but sadly hits the 5D's mirror.

What do mean by- I can't see the OP's pics (banned here)? Very Happy Can you post an image of this lens you have?

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those photos are the type of stuff that makes me feel glad that there are manual lenses everywhere for everyone who wishes to try some more serious photography to experiment with good results at very low cost.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
Those photos are the type of stuff that makes me feel glad that there are manual lenses everywhere for everyone who wishes to try some more serious photography to experiment with good results at very low cost.

I concur- but they are disappearing fast. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice lens, the sharpness and bokeh of the thistle shot is superb.

I've started collecting Yashica ML lenses - 2.8/28, 2.8/35, 2/50, I overlooked the earlier Yashinons but judging by this lens that was a mistake.

I agree the cheap manual lenses are disappearing fast, prices on ebay have noticeably risen in the last 6 months with lenses you could get for 5ukp not long ago fetching many times that in many cases, now you have to find the auctions with bad descriptions and poor photos to find the bargains.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

What do mean by- I can't see the OP's pics (banned here)? Very Happy Can you post an image of this lens you have?

Cheers
I view the forum from my workplace 90% of the time, where a number of image sites are blocked, so the images posted from Flickr do not show.

I'll try to post an image of mine tonight when I get home, as mine is on my Flickr thread and once again, I'm without access.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I view the forum from my workplace 90% of the time, where a number of image sites are blocked, so the images posted from Flickr do not show.

I'll try to post an image of mine tonight when I get home, as mine is on my Flickr thread and once again, I'm without access.

Thanks for explaining your workplace rules , its a bummer that thats like that.

Cheerio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: my fotodiox does not allow focus at infinity Reply with quote

My adapter Fotodiox has a built in ridge/ flange (where the lens attaches) which blocks the travel of the lens at infinity. I think it is a design fault. This lens travels back farther than my other M42 lens like takumar, helios and chinon, cosinon. What brand adapter you use for the Sony ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome shots! I love 1, 4, & 5.

Use a non-flanged adapter with this lens.

I haven't been able to find the lens diagram yet, but the lens was definitely made for the Yashica Penta J series of cameras. A 35mm and 135mm were also available:

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: What brands are unflanged adapters ? Reply with quote

Yes, I know i have to use unflanged adapters. Question is who make them ?
Certainly, not Fotodiox I had one.
BTW. My lens is with the Yashica J-3 Penta SLR not the J-3 rangefinder.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have a chance to compare this yashinon with the later ML version?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are beautiful pics--& excellent work with the framing. jt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What brands are unflanged adapters ? Reply with quote

rock wrote:
Yes, I know i have to use unflanged adapters. Question is who make them ?
Certainly, not Fotodiox I had one.
BTW. My lens is with the Yashica J-3 Penta SLR not the J-3 rangefinder.

eBay has a plethora of options, regardless, you can always file the flange off on any of the adapters you find.