Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Laack Anastigmat Definon 75mm f/4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Laack Anastigmat Definon 75mm f/4.5 Reply with quote

Here is a cute little enlarging or process lens I tested this afternoon on the NEX (This is part of a group of lenses I am consigning to Ebay in order to refund). The lens is a Laack Anastigmat Definon 75mm f/4.5. I know Laack is short for lackluster, but it doesn't seem bad at all! I messed around with this one way back when I had a Nikon D100, and then forgot about it. I have no idea where it came from, except that I had a bunch of them at one time. The NEX motivated me to make a few images before saying goodbye. Shown is the lens mounted on the NEX, a shot at f/8, and then some wide open shots to show off the lens' close focus and bokeh performance. Quite respectable!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad for what it is, I have a Tessar 3.5/75 EL of similar vintage and that is sharp like all Tessars but has very poor contrast, being uncoated.

How is it mounted? M42-NEX adapter then an M42 helicoid and a step-up ring on the lens?

Where did you get the helicoid and how much was it?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Not bad for what it is, I have a Tessar 3.5/75 EL of similar vintage and that is sharp like all Tessars but has very poor contrast, being uncoated.

How is it mounted? M42-NEX adapter then an M42 step-up ring?

I just posted the Tessar 75 f/4.5 and I agree completely - much lower contrast.

This lens is mounted in a standard SK Componon -> LTM M39 ring, secured on the back with the lens' flange. I then put an M39 -> M42 ring on and screwed the whole thing into an M42 helical focus tube fitted with an M42-> EOS adapter ring. The M42 focus tube is then mounted to the NEX via an EOS->NEX adapter. I have a bunch of EOS adapters, so it was more economical for me to get the EOS-> NEX adapter and stack the rings. More complicated, but less expensive!

P.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find!

here are a few information from a Laack-catalogue from 1939.

Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Klaus,

Thanks for the great info!!! My German is pretty bad, am I to understand from this ad that this lens was an "affordable" option for amateurs? Also that it is a triplet (dreilinsiger)? It seems the example I have is # 1118: 7.5 cm f/4.5, covering 45 x 60 cm. I am not familiar with this format, but it seems to be roughly double 35mm - possibly 127? Also, are these described as taking lenses for still photography, or are they enlarging lenses?

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul, yes, it is a "for amateurs affordable" enlarging lens. yes, for 127er format.

Have a nice day
Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Klaus!

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Paul

I was looking again at your shots and I see very good sharpness in the infinity one, the telegraph lines are rendered in detail.

The conker shot looks soft, but I think you've backfocused and that's why, some of the spikes look very sharp, so you only missed it by a cm or so.

If the conker was in proper focus it might rival the tessar you have for sharpness?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Hiya Paul

I was looking again at your shots and I see very good sharpness in the infinity one, the telegraph lines are rendered in detail.

The conker shot looks soft, but I think you've backfocused and that's why, some of the spikes look very sharp, so you only missed it by a cm or so.

If the conker was in proper focus it might rival the tessar you have for sharpness?

Absolutely... I am pretty sure it was user error! If I have a moment, I will reshoot something closeup!

Paul