Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios-40 85mm Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Helios-40 85mm Question Reply with quote

There are two models of the helios 40 85mm lens. One silver and in the M39 mount, guess it was used on a rangefinder? The other is black body with M42/screw mount. Can the silver model be used on the Canon 20D with a M39 to M42 adaptor? Are they the same other than perhaps the coating on the lens??
Thanke in advance for advice and information.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios-40 85mm f/1.5 silver body with M39 I guess made for SLR only, but I am not sure 100% I have one it works great with M39 M42 adapter. This lens is single coated and it has non standard filter diameter. Black one is Helios-40-2 perhaps multi coated, but friend of mine who is know everything about Russian cameras guess black one is single coated too. He gave me the books what I spread privately. I used both and kept silver one, I didn't see any serious difference between them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Atilla,
Seems that when the M39 to M42 adaptor is used the tripod mount is rotated to the side. A minor problem. Just read that.
Thanks for your information.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about Helios 40 85mm. Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
There are two models of the helios 40 85mm lens. One silver and in the M39 mount, guess it was used on a rangefinder? The other is black body with M42/screw mount. Can the silver model be used on the Canon 20D with a M39 to M42 adaptor? Are they the same other than perhaps the coating on the lens??
Thanke in advance for advice and information.

The Helios-40 is silver barrel and was made for the Zenit and Zorki reflex cameras.
The register is much different from rangefinder and therefore you can use them on modern day reflex cameras.
There is a very tiny loss of infinite focus, but it's not important, because af f/8 it becomes so sharp that you don't notice it. Also, you want this lens for portraits usually, so the infinite focus is of secondary importance.

There are other differences though, that are worth keeping in mind:

1) Filter thread size. The Helios-40has the non-standard 66mm size. This means that you will not find any filter for it (unless very old ones for luck), and most importantly, you will not find a mountable lens hood for it. You will have to build one yourself. The lens hood is vital with this lens, as it's particular design makes it the more flare-prone lens I have ever used.

2) tripod mount. The tripod mount on the Helios-40 can not be rotated, and if mounted on modern reflex cameras, it will end up in a weird position. Not just that: for some cameras with much protruding built-in flash, it will make it simply impossible to mount the lens. In which case, you will have to dismantle the tripod mount yourself. Some Helios-40s are already sold without the tripod mount, for this reason.

3) Helios-40 is single coated. So is, apparently, the Helios-40-2 until a certain date that I have personally located around the turn of the decades 70s-80s. I have two Helios-40-2 and the one built in the 80s is MUCH more resistant to flare. I dont' know the reason. At a first sight, it seems identical to the model built in the 70s. But the practical use shows that the coating in the 80s model is much more effective.

Another small difference is the lens base. In the Helios-40, it is quite small, and you can unlock the EOS adapter easily. In the Helios-40-2, it is quite large, and I often find myself in the impossibility of dismounting the EOS adapter from it. So what I do is remount the lens on camera, unscrew it leaving the adapter on, screw in a smaller lens such an Helios-44, and then remove the whole. I then unscrew the EOS adapter from the Helios-44 which is small and makes it easy.

Overall, unless the bargain is economically significant, I would buy the 40-2 version, and absolutely with no doubt if you find one whose serial number begins with an "8".

There is one aspect though where the Helios-40 is a clear winner: the look.
It is, simply, the sexier lens in my roster. A true pleasure to look at.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio,and Atilla,
Thank you for all the information. That is very helpful. Very Happy I have seen both lens come up for sale but they are not cheap.
Again, thanks for all your assistance.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
Orio,and Atilla,
Thank you for all the information. That is very helpful. Very Happy I have seen both lens come up for sale but they are not cheap.

Yes, but we're talking of a very fast tele lens. Consider that for a used Planar 85mm. of the same speed, and of comparable quality, you have to pay 3-4 times as much.
And I am not even going to mention how much it would cost you a used Summilux 80/1.4

So as you can see, a Helios-40 for around 100 EUR (its typical value today), actually is cheap, when considered with the other lenses of its same league.