Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which version of Canon FD 2.8/28?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Which version of Canon FD 2.8/28? Reply with quote

Hi folks

There are two Canon FC 2.8/28s available to me at the same price, one is the newer all-black 2.8/28 with green lettering on the barrel, the other is an older 2.8/28 S.C. with the chrome locking ring and orange lettering on the barrel.

Apart from the S.C. designation and the different barrel styles, are these two lenses very similar? Which has the better IQ? I take it the S.C. version has better coatings therefore better contrast and flare resistance?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newer nFD lenses have a little button to release the lens and most have S.S.C. coating as standard (although its not indicated on the barrel, I believe). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham is correct about the coatings. The Canon Museum site lists both types as 7 element, 7 group optical layout.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've looked at a few sites and they all seem to indicate the two lenses are virtually identical, did find one comment about the nFD version having more barrel distortion but that might not be correct.