Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

90mm f/4.5 Enlarging Ektar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: 90mm f/4.5 Enlarging Ektar Reply with quote

Hi gang,

This forum is so much fun. Your fine work has inspired me to get out and shoot with some lenses that have been just gathering dust in the cupboard. First up is a nice 90mm f/4.5 Ektar Enlarging lens. When I am at a camera show, I have never been able to pass up an Ektar - especially when they are $10 or less. I have two of these. This is the nicer of the two. The other one is a little hazy.

I am pretty sure this lens boasts a Heliar design. It lacks some contrast, but makes up for it in sharpness and what I consider to be quite nice bokeh. In this case, the lens is much better than the photographer.

I have included pictures of the lens, how I adapted it to my 5D Mii, and some sample pics. Enjoy!

P.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks pretty good. One of the shots has busy bokeh, but on the whole it's pleasant enough.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice setup with infinity focus (?), and good results.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
It looks pretty good. One of the shots has busy bokeh, but on the whole it's pleasant enough.

Thanks so much for your comments!

I bet the busy one you're referring to is the one with the three cornflowers in the foreground. I agree it's busy, but somehow, it's kind of interesting and seems to work. The bokeh is much more well behaved in the fourth image - the one with the Hosta blossoms in the foreground.

It seems to have a range of performance. I really should have used a lens shade!

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Nice setup with infinity focus (?), and good results.

Thanks! It definitely hits infinity - beyond, actually. This is easily controllable simply by adding or subrtracting extension tubes!

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What great results, and a nice looking set up as well

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most, if not all, enlarging lenses have quite funky Bokeh. It's almost their defining characteristic when used as taking lenses. But that's what makes them interesting, IMHO.

I have this lens but have never even used it, also the 100/4.5 Ektar. Maybe I should pull my finger out and do so!

JJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:
I think most, if not all, enlarging lenses have quite funky Bokeh. It's almost their defining characteristic when used as taking lenses. But that's what makes them interesting, IMHO.

I have this lens but have never even used it, also the 100/4.5 Ektar. Maybe I should pull my finger out and do so!

JJ

I like the funky rendering as well. It is distinctive!

I know exactly what you mean - I have had this lens and also the 100/4.5 Ektar you mention for ages and just shot this one this last week. The 100/4.5 is marked Projection Ektar, and unfortunately is kind of hazy. I didn't really think there was a difference between the 100 and 90, except for markings. They look identical in almost all respects. I am not sure what the tolerances are like on focal length for these lenses. I thought maybe the projection Ektar was marked 100 mm rather than 90 mm because 100mm it is closer to 4" - the old way of marking focal lengths..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
What great results, and a nice looking set up as well

woodrim wrote:
Brilliant!!!

Thanks, guys!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't go wrong with any Ektar! Brilliant samples! Big thank you for mount explanation!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice series! I love the busy bokeh fifth one from the bottom.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
You can't go wrong with any Ektar! Brilliant samples! Big thank you for mount explanation!

Hi Attila,

Thanks for the comments! You're right about the Ektars. Much like Canon L glass, Ektars were always the best that Kodak had to offer. Although, not an Ektar, one of my favorites has always been the Monitor's 101mm f/4.5 Anastigmat Special. I don't have one right now, so I am always on the lookout for a trashed Monitor with a clean lens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
very nice series! I love the busy bokeh fifth one from the bottom.

Thanks, Kath. It has a real painterly quality, IMHO!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
Attila wrote:

Hi Attila,

Thanks for the comments! You're right about the Ektars. Much like Canon L glass, Ektars were always the best that Kodak had to offer. Although, not an Ektar, one of my favorites has always been the Monitor's 101mm f/4.5 Anastigmat Special. I don't have one right now, so I am always on the lookout for a trashed Monitor with a clean lens.

I never heard of Monitor, if you can get one let us now and publish samples!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

I never heard of Monitor, if you can get one let us now and publish samples![/quote]

I will definitely. In the meantime, here is a quick article about them:

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Kodak_Monitor

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rats, now I really have to work on mounting my Ektars (161/135/100).

patrickh

Very fine pictures.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Rats, now I really have to work on mounting my Ektars (161/135/100).

patrickh

Very fine pictures.

Thanks, Patrick! You have some beautiful Ektar glass there! Check out this excellent article on Ektars:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/classic-experts.html

Best,

Paul