Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Automatic Tele Converter 2X-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Vivitar Automatic Tele Converter 2X-3 Reply with quote

Is anyone familiar with this teleconverter?
This is not labeled Macro, but just as I have written it above...

thanks Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Automatic Tele Converter 2X-3 Reply with quote

Chayelle wrote:
Is anyone familiar with this teleconverter?
This is not labeled Macro, but just as I have written it above...

thanks Smile

Early style for Nikon non AI. I have the same one in M42 Mount. The 2X-1.
Haven't tested mine yet so I don't know the quality. If I can get a few spare minutes tomorrow I will test mine.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Walter...

There is so much to learn about these old lenses... Very Happy

I guess all of mine are AI lenses....
Some folks started out with these, what we call, older
lenses and have come up to the digital, but me, I'm
going the other way. Smile

I will be eager to hear what you think of this TC!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Various glassmakers churned out TC's for Ponder & Best / Vivitar. The -n just indicates its mount. 2X-1 is M42; 2X-3 is Nikon; 2X-7 is Konica; etc. I have seen (and sold) TC's without the -n suffix, branded as Spiratone, Sears, KFT, Hanimar / Hanimex, CPC, Cosina, Cambron, Albinar, that look exactly like the Vivitars. I have seen (and sold) Vivitar TC's marked as 2X-1 that obviously came from different makers.

What's their quality? Those with 'name' brands, or fairly major brands like Vivitar, Sears, Cosina, are probably pretty decent. With other names, who knows? Some made by Pentax and Sigma (that I know of) and matched to certain long fast teles are quite good. For many others, including the Vivitars, evidence shows that you'll usually get better IQ by cropping the image.

Using cheaper TC's: If content is more important than quality, go ahead. I wouldn't hesitate to use TC's for surveillance, blackmail, etc.