Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44m 2/58, Auto Optomax 35mm, Sigma XQ 39-80mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Helios 44m 2/58, Auto Optomax 35mm, Sigma XQ 39-80mm Reply with quote

I'm a newbie here, found out about manual lenses recently. So i bag off 3 lenses on ebay. Got them today, here they are:

Helios 44m 2/58 f2

Auto Optomax 35mm

Sigma XQ 39-80mm

Pictures took on Nikon D70 with Nikkor 18-105mm lens.

I know that Helios 44m is a good lenses, but there are so many Helios lenses? which one is the best?

anyone has any comment about the lenses? info? or maybe tips? I'm really new here so please help!! Very Happy

Oh, i am using these lenses on a Nikon D70 with M42 adapter.

Last edited by beat2beat on Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Helios 44m 2/58, Auto Optomax 35mm, Sigma XQ 39-80mm Reply with quote

beat2beat wrote:
I'm a newbie here, found out about manual lenses recently. So i bag off 3 lenses on ebay. Got them today, here they are:

Helios 44m 2/58 f2

Auto Optomax 35mm

Sigma XQ 39-80mm

Pictures took on Nikon D70 with Nikkor 18-105mm lens.

I know that Helios 44m is a good lenses, but there are so many Helios lenses? which one is the best?

anyone has any comment about the lenses? info? or maybe tips? I'm really new here so please help!! Very Happy

Oh, i am using these lenses on a Nikon D70 with M42 adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome ! Nice to see you here!

Which one is best I think no too important all are good enough to use them and all are very cheap so you can start to collect them and judge by your self. I think I never heard any negative critics about their optical quality.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 44m, nice lens, good sharpness and colour, contrast can be a bit lacking wide open and I recommend using a hood but you can always bump it up in software.

I have no idea about that particular Optomax, I have a 135mm that was made by Tokina so there is a good chance it was made by a decent company, it just depends which one they used for that lens because they didn't build their own.

Older sigma lenses are a lucky dip, some are great and some are relatively poor but they are all distinctive and I have heard faint praise for this one in the past although I forget where, I think it might have been a kit lens for the relatively rare sigma slr's.

Go out and try them!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the sigma, a great looking piece of glass but not that easy to use.

See here http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=8038

I hang on to it - I like portrait lenses - but very rarely use it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

My recommendation: take those lenses out and start taking some photos with them. I am sure you will have a lot of fun with them Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Helios is a favourite here, any of the 44s are cheap and very good. Some of the Helios range weren't Russian but made in Japan and these are not as good. The Optomax can be found cheaply, but samples that we've seen here always look good. I'm not so sure about the Sigma zoom; it's likely to be an average lens. Looking at the line Xpres has posted it may also be fiddly. However, it does sound interesting.

And welcome to the forum!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup definitely will bring them out on a date. will post some pictures later on. Cheers guys!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this image here is taken by Helios 44m 2/58, not mine though,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/itssg/3525023759/in/set-72157617985166333/

The picture has a colour tone of slight yellow or brown, makes it look like aged picture. Is that the effect of the lens or it had been altered in Photoshop? can anyone gv me an answer please? thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that tone is made in post, and is not an effect of the lens itself.

Here are some images I shot with a Optomax 35mm f/2.8 on a 5D Mk2:

The lens is really, really awesome! Got it for $40 on eBay and couldn't be happier.

Edit: Seems like the images aren't working due to some weird coding here at the forum (worked great when I previewed the post, but not when I submitted it). Anyway, here's a link to the album: https://www.imglib.org/album/ZxLb/jRy4Yex/

Edit 2: I might add that _nothing_ has been done in post. Not even contrast changes or WB adjustments.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nurfen wrote:
No, that tone is made in post, and is not an effect of the lens itself.

Here are some images I shot with a Optomax 35mm f/2.8 on a 5D Mk2:

The lens is really, really awesome! Got it for $40 on eBay and couldn't be happier.

Edit: Seems like the images aren't working due to some weird coding here at the forum (worked great when I previewed the post, but not when I submitted it). Anyway, here's a link to the album: https://www.imglib.org/album/ZxLb/jRy4Yex/

Edit 2: I might add that _nothing_ has been done in post. Not even contrast changes or WB adjustments.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome both. Before you succumb to Lens Buying Addiction, make sure to go out and shoot these lenses!

BTW - first post won't show images -it's an anti spam measure.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I wasn't expecting such quality from the optomax. At least after resizing they look usably sharp and bokeh is not bad at all.

You will also be please with the Helios I am sure but what I am more curious about is the XQ zoom, ain't that the "high-end" line from Sigma?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using a Nikon DSLR you need an adapter with glass to get infinity focus AFAIK. Such adapter can have a negative influence on the image quality.
So I think you had better searched for lenses (Nikon or third paty) with Nikon bajonet.
No reason not to test what you have found now ofcourse!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Optomax looks decent! I have an Optomax zoom which is really good too, made by Tokina.

The Sigma lens mentioned by the original poster...well I didn't find it good at all. In fact, it was horrible! Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shot the moon a while back with an Optomax 400mm and 2x tele converter. The pics where decent, much better than I expected.

I tried using the lens for birding, but focusing was much too slow for quick moving birds. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:
I tried using the lens for birding, but focusing was much too slow for quick moving birds.
"

Here we say that you have to put some salt on their tails first, then they slow down Laughing !