Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help please I'm looking for a sharp cheapo lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Help please I'm looking for a sharp cheapo lens Reply with quote

Hi to all.
I was planning to buy some couple of manual focus lens in the range of 28mm to 90mm excluding 50mm and I was wondering if there is a lens with moderate luminosity (f/2 of f/2.5 at least) that's as sharp as possible.
I would like to mount it on Canon but I don't have so much budget right now.
Anything to suggest?
Thank you Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome quicksilver86
have a nice stay with us
tamron 90:2.5 or samyang 85:1.4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if looking for something wide - Zuiko 28/3.5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the starting suggest Smile
The zuiko is really that sharp? I also have a Nippon Kogaku 28mm f/3.5 and another 28mm f/2.8 so maybe I'll do better to find another focal length in fact. Unless the Zuiko is sharper.

The Samyang is about 300€? Confused it's too much for now. I'm not really interested in the tamron ass well because is a macro lens and I have one in that range.

Maybe I can also think about a 20mm f/2.8 or a 60-80mm range f/2... thank you for your help

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor 50mm 1:2 is considered as one of the sharpest 50mm lenses. I own one and I am really happy with the results. It is also quite cheap.

Zuiko 28/3.5 is in my opinion as sharp as Nikkor 28/3.5 AI. It is smaller and lighter, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are 3 years too late. Now some luck will be required since no speedy lens of some quality is cheap anymore. Well, depends also what cheap means for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

axer wrote:
Nikkor 50mm 1:2 is considered as one of the sharpest 50mm lenses. I own one and I am really happy with the results. It is also quite cheap.

Zuiko 28/3.5 is in my opinion as sharp as Nikkor 28/3.5 AI. It is smaller and lighter, though.

You mean this one?
http://www.destoutz.ch/lens_50mm_f2_742114.html

I have it and I find it not so sharp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
You are 3 years too late. Now some luck will be required since no speedy lens of some quality is cheap anymore. Well, depends also what cheap means for you.

You're right... I'm only looking for some piece of glass that performs like a modern AF lens and still cost less... I don't know if it's possible anymore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest C/Y or Rollei Sonnar 2.8/85. Wide open is even sharper than most faster lenses stopped down to same aperture. It has low CA and is even sharper than Tamron 90mm macros and on pair with my APO-Macro-Elmarit (in terms of resolving power, AME is still much better corrected for CAs) .
With little patience, you can get it under 200€.
Even cheaper and super sharp are enlarger lenses, but they are slow, usually f4 and slower.
On the wide angle is better to go with modern lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about 135mm?
I think it's easier to find a cheap F/2.8 one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yashica 28mm ML F2.8 can be mounted on Canon
Why discard the 50mm range some great items in there Helios 44m-4 onwards are sharp.
Yashica ML 50's are fantastic there is an F2 on the bay with a damaged filter ring for £10
Tamron Adaptall 28-24mm F2.5 also seem good

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ensinor 28mm is an excellent lens and can be picked up quite cheaply. Also sold under the Clubman brand.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You better mention how much is your budget, not just say; cheapo. Everyone has different opinion about cheap.
my experience;

Cheap for 28mm.... Vivitar has some variant
sharpest I have ... Schneider Kreuznach Curtagon 28/4

35mm
Canon FD 35/2... some variant too, sharp even wide open
Mir 35/2

50mm
Like eddieitman said, Yashica ML 50/2
Zenitar 50/2

90mm
Vega 12b 90/2,8 in P6 mount

maybe 100mm
Canon FD 100/2,8 ssc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
I would suggest C/Y or Rollei Sonnar 2.8/85. Wide open is even sharper than most faster lenses stopped down to same aperture. It has low CA and is even sharper than Tamron 90mm macros and on pair with my APO-Macro-Elmarit (in terms of resolving power, AME is still much better corrected for CAs) .
With little patience, you can get it under 200€.
Even cheaper and super sharp are enlarger lenses, but they are slow, usually f4 and slower.
On the wide angle is better to go with modern lenses.

Thank you I will look for this. Do you have a picture?
I don't know how enlarger lenses work or witch kind of converter I need for the 5D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maple Wang wrote:
How about 135mm?
I think it's easier to find a cheap F/2.8 one.

I have the canon 135 f/2 so i'm not looking for a 135 unfortunately

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
Yashica 28mm ML F2.8 can be mounted on Canon
Why discard the 50mm range some great items in there Helios 44m-4 onwards are sharp.
Yashica ML 50's are fantastic there is an F2 on the bay with a damaged filter ring for £10
Tamron Adaptall 28-24mm F2.5 also seem good

I have 2 nikkor 50mm a 55mm 2 canon 50mm AF a Sigma one, and the yashica f/1.9 so I'm full of 50s Smile
Can you give the link in private about the yashica you saw on ebay?

PS I don't know I don't receive email notification about this forum Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quicksilver86 wrote:
axer wrote:

You mean this one?
http://www.destoutz.ch/lens_50mm_f2_742114.html

I have it and I find it not so sharp

I thought about later, H.C or K version, but yes, it is sharp lens. It sometimes lacks some contrast, which may look like unsharpness. Or you just have a bad copy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
You better mention how much is your budget, not just say; cheapo. Everyone has different opinion about cheap.
my experience;

Cheap for 28mm.... Vivitar has some variant
sharpest I have ... Schneider Kreuznach Curtagon 28/4

35mm
Canon FD 35/2... some variant too, sharp even wide open
Mir 35/2

50mm
Like eddieitman said, Yashica ML 50/2
Zenitar 50/2

90mm
Vega 12b 90/2,8 in P6 mount

maybe 100mm
Canon FD 100/2,8 ssc

I can't mount Canon FD over Canon EOS Sad

How is the MIR? And how much?

I have 130-170$ to spend

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axer wrote:

I thought about later, H.C or K version, but yes, it is sharp lens. It sometimes lacks some contrast, which may look like unsharpness. Or you just have a bad copy.

I'm sure I don't have a bad copy because I tried also others but it's the worst 50mm in my gear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quicksilver86 wrote:
Thank you for the starting suggest Smile
The zuiko is really that sharp? I also have a Nippon Kogaku 28mm f/3.5 and another 28mm f/2.8 so maybe I'll do better to find another focal length in fact. Unless the Zuiko is sharper.

The Samyang is about 300€? Confused it's too much for now. I'm not really interested in the tamron ass well because is a macro lens and I have one in that range.

Maybe I can also think about a 20mm f/2.8 or a 60-80mm range f/2... thank you for your help

Get the Rokinon branded 85mm, exact same lens for less.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some fast sharp lenses, none of which cost me much: Kiron 24/2. Komine 28/2. Kiron and Tamron 28/2.5. (Kiron and Komine branded as Vivitar etc.) Nikkor and Takumar 35/2. Takumar and Yashica ML 50/1.4. Nikkor 85/2. Takumar 135/2.5.

Some good sharp lenses, all of which cost very little: Cimko 24/2.8. Chinon, Makinon, Tokina 28/2.8 (may be branded as Access, Focal, Rokinon, Sears, Soligor). Isco Westron, Petri CC, Tokina 35/2.8 (may be branded as Porst, Vivitar). Tomioka 55/1.4 (variously branded). Many 50-55's of f/2 and faster. Many 135/2.8's.

Cheap brands to look for: Sears, Focal, Vivitar, Porst, Soligor. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quicksilver86 wrote:

How is the MIR? And how much?

I see a couple of MIRs right now on Ebay for around $100 USD.

People say nice things about the MIR 37mm f/2.8, maybe someone who has experience will chime in.

The SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5 is known as a sharp lens. It might be fast enough for you if you're looking for a little wider shots outside. I've got the older non-multicoated version and it's sharp as a tack indoors, outside I have to watch for flare.

http://forum.mflenses.com/smc-pentax-3-5-28-t37769.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir 35/2, perform as good as Canon FD 35/2
You can see samples of Mir in gallery
In fact I'm selling Canon 35/2 SSC converted to EOS in marketplace here http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1146663.html#1146663

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quicksilver86 wrote:

Thank you I will look for this. Do you have a picture?
I don't know how enlarger lenses work or witch kind of converter I need for the 5D

Do you mean picture of the lens or made with Sonnar? Bad news is, that Rollei version hits mirror on 5D at longer distances.

Never enlarger lenses usually come in M39 screw mount. But you need focusing helicoid to use them effectively. There is sticky thread somewhere on forum about selecting proper helicoid and lot of threads about enlarger lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the tips, I will look around for some of them Smile