Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Minolta A2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Konica Minolta A2 Reply with quote

This bridge camera already drew my attention when it came out in 2004, it was one of a handful of 'prosumer' cams using the same 8 MP 2/3" sensor, namely Sony F828, Olympus C-8080, Canon Pro 1 and Nikon 8700. The K-M A2 was the one that impressed me most, partly due to this great article at luminous landscape called: "hitting one over the fence": http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/konica-minolta-a2.shtml
It cost well over 1000 Euro and I did not consider buying it then, but three years later my interest in photography finally had rekindled and I got a used K-M A2 for just about 200 usd.

The moveable EVF paired with it's many functions that are very easily accessible with two wheels and many buttons makes this camera the best handling camera I have had until today. While changing a certain setting it is overlayed in the middle of the EVF, using this camera I never have to take my eye off the viewfinder which also means that I never have to use my reading classes.

It has a very good 28-200 equiv. f2.8-3.5 apo lens and it's 8MP sensor creates very beautiful pictures and it was I believe the first camera to offer image stabilization. One big drawback, specially when compared to more modern camera, is that ISO200 already is quite noisy, ISO400 is stretching it.

This camera has had followers until today and for many, including me, it is the raw model of an EVIL. Now I am using a Sony5N which finally made it to be my personal EVIL successor of the A2, but it doesn't come even close in accessibility to settings, my ideal still would be closer to the A2.

the camera:

yep, it was above all the availability of the moveable EVF for the NEX5N that convinced me.
It's shortcomings in handling are compensated by better then anticipated usability of old manual lenses.

many words, some samples:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still a great camera i was looking at one but at the end had bought konica minolta 5d Smile still love minoltas and have 2 right now but both film cameras. Might look at 7D though Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice images and colour rendering!!! CCD sensor ,cant beat it on colours!!!!
I own a minolta Dimage 7 and I love it !!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great one indeed, congrats! Beautiful samples as well!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, was thinking about either the A1 or A2 and saw this thread, beautiful images, Andreas! At one time I had the Z3, Z5, and Z10, but
now just have the X1, quite a diminutive 8MP camera, some samples trying out the Snapseed software:

The noise seems to work using Snapseed for processing.

I think it's interesting to note that when Konica and Minolta paired-up, it was a Minolta lens that adorned the cameras.

Last edited by Katastrofo on Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

I think it's interesting to note that when Konica and Minolta paired-up, it was a Minolta lens that adorned the cameras.

Both companies made outstanding lenses in their day, but I suspect the main reason why KM cameras used Minolta optics was the fact that Konica ceased making SLR lenses back in 1987. When the two companies merged 15 years later, only Minolta had an existing line of AF lenses and the mount to support them. As a matter of fact, I often wonder what was Konica's contribution to the photo side of the KM collaboration (the holding's photo division was a mere sideshow compared to its other business activities).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:

Both companies made outstanding lenses in their day, but I suspect the main reason why KM cameras used Minolta optics was the fact that Konica ceased making SLR lenses back in 1987. When the two companies merged 15 years later, only Minolta had an existing line of AF lenses and the mount to support them. As a matter of fact, I often wonder what was Konica's contribution to the photo side of the KM collaboration (the holding's photo division was a mere sideshow compared to its other business activities).

Yes, Minolta made outstanding lenses even for point and shoot cameras , If I remember correctly their zooms used to have "GT" letters written on them , and now when I see a Sony compact cameras with Sony "G" lenses , I start to wonder ,if Minolta engineers have their influence there too?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the late reply ( sometimes, in this case I did not receive a mail saying that there was an answer, just now found out by chance )

nurkov wrote:
still a great camera i was looking at one but at the end had bought konica minolta 5d Smile still love minoltas and have 2 right now but both film cameras. Might look at 7D though Smile

when I was looking for my first dSLR for some reason I had thought that Pentax was better for using manual lenses. I was very happy with my *istDs, but again and again have been thinking I that I could have chosen a Minolta 5D or 7D instead, I always have considered these last Minoltas as cameras made by photographers for photographers like no other. Some Ricohs may come close, Pentax imo are good too Wink

Digitalriver wrote:
Very nice images and colour rendering!!! CCD sensor ,cant beat it on colours!!!!
I own a minolta Dimage 7 and I love it !!!!

right! I really love(d - haven't used it quite a while..) the colors of the A2!
my next camera was a Pentax *istDs dSLR which still had a CCD and I liked the colors very much too
next came Pentax K-x with CMOS sensor and it took me some time to get used to the colors, at first I had found them disappointing.
last NEX5N, colors are ok, but I still find those of the A2 best followed by *istDs.

Attila wrote:
Great one indeed, congrats! Beautiful samples as well!

Attila the K-M A2 really is a very special camera! even though I have not used it in a while I shall always keep it, for me it was a milestone and by now a real classic

Katastrofo wrote:
Wow, was thinking about either the A1 or A2 and saw this thread, beautiful images, Andreas! ...

Bill by now they cost close to nothing. I know of old fans of this camera who stocked up and now have various copies, one has 4 now! Just to be sure to have a working sample for long time to come Smile
this camera thought me how an ideal UI can be and how useful an articulating EVF is! it's not too late Wink

and users of this camera are the most friendly and caring crowd of photographers I have ever met, mostly in the respective dpreview forum. They thought me a lot, e.g. how to use my A2 to scan some old slides: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2205021#forum-post-26288667
my set up was very much improvised though, the results sure could have been better.
the set up featuring a PVC pipe, toilet paper roll Smile a Cokin filter holder to carry the slides, I also did negatives as seen in the photos, the blank monitor of my notebook served as lightsource Smile :

just for fun, a few results:
my elder brother, grandma and me..when I still was cute Wink

and fetching milk

this one I took during my first year with my first SLR, a Minolta XG1 in San Blas, Mexico around new year 79/80:

cheers,
andreas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great results !!!! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreas, it was all about the colors that got me hooked with KM digital, will definitely look for an A2! Love the green in the bench seating!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Konica-Minolta DiMAGE A2 was also my first “serious” digital camera… If only it could be updated with a modern sensor and displays (rear LCD and EVF), it would still make a very nice camera, and in some ways better than current alternatives.

Some of my photos with it (obviously all quite old now):

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
The Konica-Minolta DiMAGE A2 was also my first “serious” digital camera… If only it could be updated with a modern sensor and displays (rear LCD and EVF), it would still make a very nice camera, and in some ways better than current alternatives.

great samples Arkku Smile
did you use it's wide angle adapter for the first?

yes, I think the same. new sensor, bigger and better resolution LCD and EVF is all it would need!
really love it's UI, so fast to change pretty much any setting without having to take off the eye from the VF. For handling and UI it still is my raw model for a mirrorless too.

some more samples from 2007 in Japan, most from Osaka, last from Kyoto

lottery!

presenting new beauty products

hungry men at Umeda metro station

getting a nap on massage chairs in an electric appliance store

monk collecting alms

cafe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

No, all with just the stock camera, no addons.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
kuuan wrote:

No, all with just the stock camera, no addons.

amazing photo, really though it was a wider angle than 28mm

I have quite a few accessories for the A2, it's wide adapter, close up lens ( I had used for my 'scanning set up', I had forgot to mention ) and battery grip, last is the only one I have a photo of:

well, of the wide adapter too, but only adapted to my Fuji F31fd Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

I have quite a few accessories for the A2, it's wide adapter, close up lens ( I had used for my 'scanning set up', I had forgot to mention ) and battery grip, last is the only one I have a photo of:

Interesting, I didn't even know they made a battery grip for it. Goes to show the positioning of the camera, though; at that time DSLRs were still so expensive that there was a market for these kinds of “advanced” accessories for a fixed-lens camera.