Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 55/1.2 EOS conversion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Canon 55/1.2 EOS conversion Reply with quote

Finally got around to converting this FL mount lens so that I can use it on my 5D without an optical adapter.

Conversion is totally reversible and does not change original lens at all. Proof of concept is in perspex. Need to do the same in aluminium.

Still a slight issue with infinity - needs a few more thou off the spacer.

But away from infinity, hitting the right focus is, unsurprsiingly, difficult!

Had to scavenge a miranda 135/3.5 for some screws - couldn't be bothered to make some!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it hit the mirror when you focus it past 30 meters?

I have tried mine on film EOS (which should be same as 5d) and it hits it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
Does it hit the mirror when you focus it past 30 meters?

I have tried mine on film EOS (which should be same as 5d) and it hits it.

I have held the lens against the M42 adapter (which had had about 0.5mm taken off it) without the spacer and it didn't hit the mirror. It must be darn close, but no, it doesn't.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be the same as mine - it has a thin eos adapter screwed on it.
But when you focus to infinity the glass goes about 1-2 mm past the adapter.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
Should be the same as mine - it has a thin eos adapter screwed on it.
But when you focus to infinity the glass goes about 1-2 mm past the adapter.

You are right.

At the moment I'm not getting infinity, so I have to reduce the spacer a tiny bit. I'm hoping that when I get it right, the lens body will be right up againt the M42 adapter face. If it then projects far enough back to hit the mirror then so be it. As I say, at the moment it doesn't, so I might just sacrifice inifinity for the sake of using it close up Smile
I have been waiting ages to use this lens wihtout an optical adapter and I have also just picked up a 50/1.4 too, so I want to convert that too Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon 55/1.2 EOS conversion Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
Finally got around to converting this FL mount lens so that I can use it on my 5D without an optical adapter.

But away from infinity, hitting the right focus is, unsurprsiingly, difficult![

Ah, for that mon ami, you'll want live view and for that you'll want a 5DII Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Canon 55/1.2 EOS conversion Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
martyn_bannister wrote:

But away from infinity, hitting the right focus is, unsurprsiingly, difficult![

Ah, for that mon ami, you'll want live view and for that you'll want a 5DII Laughing Laughing

Mais oui! Get thee behind me!

Of course, I could just use an AF-Confirm M42 adapter Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Canon 55/1.2 EOS conversion Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:

Of course, I could just use an AF-Confirm M42 adapter Twisted Evil

Wouldn't make much sense with an f/1.2 lens. Those chips or rather the AF-system is much too inexact for such a narrow DoF.
That's the reason why many EF 1.2/85L users complain about the lack of sharpness of their lens. Laughing Honestly!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Canon 55/1.2 EOS conversion Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:

That's the reason why many EF 1.2/85L users complain about the lack of sharpness of their lens. Laughing Honestly!

I haven't seen many complaints about the 85L at all. There are far more complaints about the 50L's focus shift.

Last edited by AhamB on Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knife edge DOF wide open is one thing.......

Not sure I am so keen on the shocking CA/bokeh/glow whatever Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- a few words to the CA issue

It's almost unavoidable to get pictures free of CA with this fast lens.

The good news is this; the closer your are to the exact register distance (42 mm in this case), the less CA and other aberrations you get.

Regarding AF - hmm, from my point of view, that thing simply doesn't work -- the best AF chip is LiveView - moreover, you can see perfectly CA through LiveView and correction of DOF is absolutely great.

tf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
- a few words to the CA issue

It's almost unavoidable to get pictures free of CA with this fast lens.

The good news is this; the closer your are to the exact register distance (42 mm in this case), the less CA and other aberrations you get.

Regarding AF - hmm, from my point of view, that thing simply doesn't work -- the best AF chip is LiveView - moreover, you can see perfectly CA through LiveView and correction of DOF is absolutely great.

tf

But that means a 5D mk2 Shocked Nooooooohhhhhhh...........

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll be happy with the lens on your 5D anyway

but the fast lenses really suffer from focus shift when adapted with inaccurate adapter or converted with inaccurate register distance.

The infinity must be spot on. Otherwise, you can not really get what you see -I mean a good picture even at closer distances.

In other words - you see perfectly focused image through your viewfinder but the reality is different ..

tf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:

but the fast lenses really suffer from focus shift when adapted with inaccurate adapter or converted with inaccurate register distance.

The infinity must be spot on. Otherwise, you can not really get what you see -I mean a good picture even at closer distances.

In other words - you see perfectly focused image through your viewfinder but the reality is different ..

tf

Didn't we have a thread about this (i.e. sending an old lens to be CLA'd by an expert), and I still don't get it for well erm film cameras and thought if the mirror is in the correct postion then from the viewfinder WYSIWYG and DOF will cover most errors.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:

tf

I hope so. As std pointed out above, I'm not convinced I am going to be able to hit the 42mm register distance (i.e. get the conversion to focus infinity) without fouling the 5D mirror. I am however hoping to get it close enough so that I can get accurate ViewFinder focusing, even if I can't quite get infinity. At the moment, the perspex spacer flexes too much, so I must wait for some aluminium sheet to arrive.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martyn, I am not sure but I believe that you mirror will miss the rear glass just a tiny bit after getting 42mm

tf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
Martyn, I am not sure but I believe that you mirror will miss the rear glass just a tiny bit after getting 42mm
tf

Thx for that info, let's hope so. You are the man who knows. I appreciate it.