Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon Oreston 1.8/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Pentacon Oreston 1.8/50 Reply with quote

We all know the "Pentacon 1.8/50" and many of us also know the "Meyer Oreston 1.8/50".

But this lens here supposedly is a pretty rare version of the Meyer Oreston 1.8/50 \ Pentacon 1.8/50 lens. It really shows the name "Pentacon Oreston 1.8/50" and a 7-digit serial number (686xxxx).
Up until now, I only have seen "Meyer Oreston" or "Pentacon" lenses. This is the first lens that combines both names.

Here are some quick garden snaps from today, shot on the old 300D:

It focuses down to approx. 30 cm and is good for flower shots without a macro-tube or some other device.

100% crop

The Oreston handles the (difficult) background nicely and show a beautiful bokeh. Sharpness is not an iusse. It can create some swirl, though. There even is a nice 3D effect visible.

And on a crop (APS) DSLR, it works as a very nice portrait lens:

I am amazed by this lens! Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good shots and good lens! Any picture of the lens itself?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not surprised there is a Pentacon Oreston out there as I have seen so many different labellings and finishes on these lenses now. I have a Meyer Oreston M42 and a later Pentacon M42 version and three PB mount Pentacons and they are all different, but optically very similar, almost identical.

I would like a zebra version as well, these lenses are so common and cheap it's easy to collect them, almost as easy as with the Helios-44.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I'm not surprised there is a Pentacon Oreston out there as I have seen so many different labellings and finishes on these lenses now. I have a Meyer Oreston M42 and a later Pentacon M42 version and three PB mount Pentacons and they are all different, but optically very similar, almost identical.

I would like a zebra version as well, these lenses are so common and cheap it's easy to collect them, almost as easy as with the Helios-44.

Not all of them are cheap. The rare versions go for more than the usual €15-20,- the typical Pentacon 1.8/50 goes for. BTW, if you buy from a vendor, you will pay more than €30,- for a Pentacon 1.8/50.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen Oreston on the 100mm, the 135mm and now it seems to 50mm Shocked

I like the zebras too. Second shelf from the top is mainly Meyers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice cabinet! I could have some fun rummaging in there!

Is that a Primotar or a Trioplan on the left end of the top shelf?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is an excellent lens ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the rendering is similar to the pentacon lens. A bit in the coldest side, neutral contrast, good resolution power.

Of course, the direct comparision among them should be more informative.

Anyway, nice lenses. And beautiful objects, which will be nice with almost any 50 mm lens.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
...which will be nice with almost any 50 mm lens.

That's right, Rino. But this Oreston focuses down to only 30cm which is closer than most 50mm can do.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have shot with three copies of a "Pentacon 1.8/50" and with one copy of a "Meyer Oreston 1.8/50" and with a "Pentaflex 1.8/50" - all very similar lenses. So, I know that lens design pretty well.
And still, I kind of re-discover that lens anytime I use it again!

That's the "Pentacon Oreston 1.8/50" BTW:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the picture of the lens. All black, as the pentacons seem to be.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind me posting these,they are todays images from My Pentacon auto MC 1.8/50 German Democratic Republic (no serial number and the MC is red) it focus down to 0.33
A truly lovely lens no matter what the name.It is black with the red numbers as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Meyer is a VG lens and I'd use it more if it didn't have a stupid spring loaded aperture stop down thingie on the side, which means if I use a M42 adapter on a film Canon or minolta I need three hands.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 1st framed images. Very pleasant.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the pentacon-oreston sure is a transition time lens. Between the change from oreston to pentacon, obviously.

The pentacon build didn't be good. Some trouble with the pin of the aperture and in the aperture mechanism by itself.

But the IQ is fine. If I have to go to different locations, the lens to go with is the pentacon 1,8/50. Very easy to fix anything inside him.

Congratulations.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:

Are you positive that the 100 and 135 are not marked "Orestor"?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
martyn_bannister wrote:

Are you positive that the 100 and 135 are not marked "Orestor"?

My mistake, you are totally correct, it's "orestor" that appears on both the 100 and 135. Oops! Embarassed