Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Scanner for my 645 kit
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Scanner for my 645 kit Reply with quote

In the process of getting my medium format Kit together I am looking at scanners for medium format negatives. Good quality but not a bank breaker is what I'm looking for. Processing my color film to the negatives is not that costly but digitizing them for archiving and future home printing is where the cost can rise. Which scanner of the hundreds out there would the members here recommend? ICE is one thing I would like.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Epson v500 is a good starting point and should give you a decent 12"X16" print from a 645 neg, but if you are just going to show shots on a computer screen then it's good enough.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well the Epson v500 is a good starting point and should give you a decent 12"X16" print from a 645 neg, but if you are just going to show shots on a computer screen then it's good enough.

I want to digitally archive the photos at a high DPI and get quality. I'll probably print some of the better shots at 20X24 and 8x10. Wall hangers and desk sitters. But the printing can come from the negatives.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

I want to digitally archive the photos at a high DPI and get quality. I'll probably print some of the better shots at 20X24 and 8x10. Wall hangers and desk sitters. But the printing can come from the negatives.

Hmmm... Assuming you don't want to waste money:- It is unlikely every shot you take is going to be a winner so you could see what the shots are like with a flatbed scanner, and the winners to be drum scanned for very large prints or if you prefer digital archival to storing negs.
Info about the most expensive Epson flatbed scanner i.e. V750pro and IIRC there is no mention of it capable of very large prints but an A3 is mentioned (I assume from 35mm):-
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson%20V750/page_8.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

645 is still a relatively small film format so your enlargement factor is going to be quite high. 20x24 is going require an excellent scan and I think you will find you will need more than a flatbed for that.

It would help a great deal if you could specify an actual budget/price range for your scanner. If you can only spend a couple of hundred dollars or less, the v500 (especially from the refurbished section of the EpsonStore) is the best bang for the buck but it will have its limits in terms of resolution. The V7xx is a small step up in resolution but a larger step in faster workflow although it will cost you at least 2x-3x as much. A used Nikon 9000 is another step up in resolution but a massive cost increase.

As Excalibur said, most of us with limited budgets go for the hybrid method where we use a reasonably priced scanner for prints of 11x14 or smaller and then pay for a drum scan for anything larger.

Doug

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V500 sounds like what I'll go for for now.