Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zuiko Pen-F 42mm f/1.2: compact superspeed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Zuiko Pen-F 42mm f/1.2: compact superspeed Reply with quote

Pen-F 42/1.2, here she is:

at 270 grams, able to fully cover the APS-C sensor, I think this may be the smallest, lightest superspeed lens made with a working aperture.

I've been looking for one of these for several months and finnally found this one.

15,771 made between 1966 and 1971. All but 2435 were sold with a Pen-FT body.

They are not cheap, I was happy to pay 520USD for this one, which originally retailed at 99.95.

all but first sample are wide open.

the advantage of the Pen-F lenses (there are a number of very good ones) over rangefinder lenses for the nex is the close focus, which is .35.

Of course an M39 extension will get your RF even closer Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!

I would LOVE to have this lens for my NEX, but - as you write - it's really expensive!

Congratulations to your new dream lens!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen one before! Thanks for sharing images of this super rare lens!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Never seen one before! Thanks for sharing images of this super rare lens!

+1

Great samples too!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TY guys

Anything under 600 and I don't think you can loose money unless you drop it Smile

They come up on EBAY about once a month, sometimes more often sometimes less.

The PEN F system really amazes me. It was the NEX of it's day, and the fixed lens versions sold like crazy, but OLY was forced to go OM when Kodak would not get behind the half frame.

here is a fantastic site with all the brochures
http://www.skipwilliams.com/olympus/pen-lit.htm

The lens set is sick, starting with a superb 20/3.5, and ending with the ultra rare 800 mirror, including one of the first zooms.

here is the rez test for the 42/1.2

What is remarkable about this lens is the sharpness at F8.

So many high speed lenses are not really steallar stopped down, like my Canon LTM 50/1.2, but this one really does bring it home Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great deal and very nice pictures.
Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more interesting note on the rez test

and here the entire article
http://www.skipwilliams.com/olympus/pen-lit/camera35-test-pen-lenses-0170.pdf

note the 25/2.8 with rez off the charts.
the much lighter 40/1.4 kills the 1.2 at 1.4, but surprisingly the 1.2 is better at f8!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the 1.4, but it has vignetting wide open on m4/3, do you notice that too with your 1.2 on NEX? The 20/3.5 has even more vignetting and smearing on m4/3.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
I really like the 1.4, but it has vignetting wide open on m4/3, do you notice that too with your 1.2 on NEX? The 20/3.5 has even more vignetting and smearing on m4/3.

Take a look at those shots above, most of which were wide open. I don't see vignetting, but I have an open mind Smile

I think I read the pen half frame is just like the classic film 35 frame, which some of the sony e-mount video machines use--super 35?

Today I was grabbing lenses, and tried the canon LTM 50/1.2, which is only 328 grams and shorter than the Pen, but much fatter Smile

here you can see

Well it felt damn heavy comapred to the Pen 42.

Add that the Pen is the sharper lens by far stopped down--I still need to look close but the edges should be pretty good with a crisp center at f8. Smallest 1.2 aps-c high speed package ever concieved Wink

But the canon has it's own wild beautiful rendering, here it is with 57mm kilfitt focus mount as extension tube:

handheld even:)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Pen 42/1.2 practice outdoors at dusk:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, nice find(s)!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TY sirs,

here are two shots which show somewhat the versatility of the lens:

5 mins later, stopped down to around f/4(both shots after susnset)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus, Leica for poor man ? I'll grab that beauty if I can, but I'm not ready to pay that price. Rare n' cheap aren't matching together, though. So enjoy !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Aperture setting ring Reply with quote

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

If you pull the aperture ring forwards against spring pressure (towards the filter threads), and then turn the ring around 180 degrees, you'll have the aperture numbers on top, while the Olympus "meter numbers" at the bottom of the lens. It'll then be easier to set various apertures.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Aperture setting ring Reply with quote

ozdigicams wrote:
Very nice, thanks for sharing.

If you pull the aperture ring forwards against spring pressure (towards the filter threads), and then turn the ring around 180 degrees, you'll have the aperture numbers on top, while the Olympus "meter numbers" at the bottom of the lens. It'll then be easier to set various apertures.

TY!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shot some garden shots yesterday as follow up ( first round I used the sel18200) w the 42, most around f/8

above sun at my back, below shooting in the sun's general direction:

back with the sun again:

Turns out 42 is a great length for apsc-c Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here you can get an idea of general performance near inifinity at 1.2:

and some atmospherics:

above, the Pen drops hints of swirls like the Canon LTM 50/1.2 throws out at the drop of a hat,e.g:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's definitely a lens with a little camera hiding behind it for sure. Not sure how I feel about the balance involved - I seem to function best with a great big body/lens combo but hats off sir, they certainly work well together.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
Well, that's definitely a lens with a little camera hiding behind it for sure. Not sure how I feel about the balance involved - I seem to function best with a great big body/lens combo but hats off sir, they certainly work well together.

sry, my lens shots are crappy, and only the overhead gives a genuine perspective. the other shots were taken with a 20 and make the lens look bigger than it is in relation to the body.

The balance is acutally quite good with the Pen, the canon gets a bit front heavy and the nokton IS front heavy:

that's 428 grams vs 270 for the Pen Smile

these shots show the lens size a little better: