Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hofmeister Jena Syrconar Doppel Anastigmat 6.3 13.5cm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Hofmeister Jena Syrconar Doppel Anastigmat 6.3 13.5cm Reply with quote

I found this lens in a rimset Vario shutter so it will date from the 1920s. There is no info on Hofmeister available but the Vade Mecum says the lenses were of very good quality.

Obviously, this is a 4-glass double anastigmat type, and I suspect it was made by someone for Hofmeister so it could be a Steinheil Unofokal, Meyer Helioplan, Goerz Dagor/Celor or something else.

Four air-spaced elements means 8 air-glass surfaces so contrast is likely to be low, but it should be a sharp lens. The Vario works but is pretty rough looking, lens needs a good cleaning, I might have to find a better shutter for this thing if it shoots well on my Century Graphic, it should fit a Prontor-S I have from an Isolette that had swiss cheese bellows.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an extremly similar looking 13.5/F8 "Spezial-Aplanat" fixed on an black 9x12 folder without any brand name.
Here's the same camera with "Porst Nürnberg" label http://www.kamera-geschichte.de/files/mysterie_1.htm
It only says "made in Nürnberg, Germany" on the body of my camera.

I found a Porst catalog from 1930 online, showing my camera called "Porst Noris" with the 13.5/8 and an "deluxe eidtion" of that camera with an 13.5/6.3 Laack Rathenow Doppel Anastigmat "Dialytar" - I guess it's the same lens as yours.
For comparision:

Source: http://www.kamera-geschichte.de/files/noris1_d.htm (Porst Catalog 1930, German language)

On your lens it says "Hofmeister Jena" and it says "Laack Rathenow" on that in the Porst Catalog Very Happy
I guess both were a marketing gag, similar to (Cosina) Voigtländers from today.

As I know that the camera was made in Nürnberg I'm pretty sure that Bolta made it, as Bolta was the only camera- manufacturer in Nürnberg during that time.

I guess Bolta made their own lenses until they started with 35mm cameras, but I have no prove for that.
Theres not much info about this company on the net.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:50 am; edited 11 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could well be the same, thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have similar lens under the name:
G. Rodenstock München Doppel-Anastigmat Eurynar 1:6.8 f=13.5cm
Unfortunetly shutter is missing in my case.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Probably the 6.8/135 doppel anastigmat was a common item. Whether one company made the mall and they were branded with different names I don't know, or maybe several makers made very similar variants?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you read serial number on yours and check whether it fits here: http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/agevs.htm If yes then probably Hofmeister was some kind of distributor / integrator (talking in today's terms).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much everyone made a doppel-anastigmat of similar design by the 1920's.
I have or had several.
Rodenstock Eurynar, Steinheil Unofocal, Meyer, Leidolf, Kodak, etc.
Also some small makers - I have an Erkos "Selar"
Many are seen just marked Doppelanastigmat.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eurynar and Unofokal have reputations for being sharp and usable by modern standards so fingers crossed my Hofmeister is too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pavko wrote:
Could you read serial number on yours and check whether it fits here: http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/agevs.htm If yes then probably Hofmeister was some kind of distributor / integrator (talking in today's terms).

Hi Pavko, now I've cleaned it (my god was it dirty) I can read the serial number is 58082. Looking at that table, it would fit into 1910-11. Do you suspect it's a rebadged Rodenstock Eurynar? When I cleaned it, I had all four glass elements out and can confirm it's a normal doppel-anastigmat with a pair of thin internal bi-concave and medium thickness outer bi-convex elements. The lens is absolutely symmetrical, the front and rear cells are identical, only way to tell them apart is the front one has text engraved around the rim.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I've had time to play with it, I've discovered the Vario shutter works perfectly and the times look good, shame it only has 25, 50, 100, B and T, but it is still usable. The cells are smaller than a #00 size Prontor or Compur and I don't have a working shutter in the next size down, so the cells will stay in the Vario for the time being. I'll give it a good workout on my Century Graphic and if I like how it shoots I'll get a Prontor or Compur to fit the cells into.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vario and Ibsor (Gauthier) shutters are actually pretty good and durable.
Not exactly high performance but more likely to work after 90 years than a Compur or Compound.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have three other small Varios of similar age and they all work perfectly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
When I cleaned it, I had all four glass elements out and can confirm it's a normal doppel-anastigmat with a pair of thin internal bi-concave and medium thickness outer bi-convex elements.

I have to clean mine also - I will confirm then whether design fits one described by you and picture posted at beginning of the thread. If yes then probability of this being rebadged Rodenstock rises. But this really doesn't matter if the lens is producing good result.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I briefly tried this lens on my NEX today. Light was crappy, dull and gray, typical English spring day, freezing cold too.

All wide open at 6.3, sharpness is excellent as I expected from a dialyte, contrast is on the low side, as to be expected from an uncoated lens. I'll fabricate a lens board and stick it on my Century Graphic as I think it will shoot really nicely on 6x9.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple with fixed contrast and sharpened:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good. Especially taking into consideration density of NEX sensor and intended use of that lens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Pavko, I agree, I didn't expect it to work so well on the NEX. It's been horrible here, constant rain and no sunlight, so I'm hoping we get a few nice days so I can get out and shoot some more worthwhile pictures.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made some sample shots on film with this lens on my Century Graphic 23. It's a good performer but the 3-speed Vario shutter lets it down. The slowest speed is 1/25 which mean I had to shoot at f8 and this meant dof issues robbed a little sharpness, but in the areas that are in proper focus, it is pretty sharp. Definitely a usable lens but needs a better shutter.