Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

10cm diameter vintage magic lantern lens.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: 10cm diameter vintage magic lantern lens. Reply with quote

Hi folks

This is a huge and heavy 10cm diamter lens from a magic lantern projector.

The front and rear elements are both very convex and symmetrical, no idea what design this has, it is very distorted and very wide angle. In good condition with only one tiny piece of fungus right at the edge and no scrathes or marks, just a tiny bit of dust.

No markings on it that I can see.

ANyone go any idea what king of focal length this might be and what kind of maximum focus distance might I get if I mount it on my EOS 10D?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: 10cm diameter vintage magic lantern lens. Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
ANyone go any idea what king of focal length this might be and what kind of maximum focus distance might I get if I mount it on my EOS 10D?

Humongous!! How much does it weigh?

You know the focal-length trick, right? Hold the lens under a light over a flat white surface and see where the lens focuses. I do this under a ceiling fluorescent tube; when the projected edges are sharp, that's about the focal length. I hold a ruler next to the lens to measure the distance from the target surface.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Place the lens near a white wall and focus the image by moving the lens back and forth.

Measure distance from the wall to the rear of the lens , this will give you the focal length of the lens

Divide the distance from the wall by the front lens diameter to get the f stop.

This should get you started

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note the FL trick works for enlarger lenses and projection lenses, but not for camera lenses. Wink The trick using a camera lens will give the camera register distance instead of lens focal length.

Bob tells how to measure FL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Bob tells how to measure FL

Neither Bob's easy nor hard ways are very usable nor straightforward.

There is a much easier way to measure FL, based on this: A non-reversed lens cannot focus closer than its focal length. So, mount a lens on extension (tubes an/or bellows) on a camera, preferably one with LiveView. Rack that baby out a bit. Move it towards a target. When the target shows sharply, you're at the focal length, which is also the minimum focus distance.

You'll probably want to be at around 1:1 magnification for this. For long long lenses, that could mean a LOT of extension. And no, it doesn't measure the FL at infinity focus. You'll just have to trust the lensmaker on that. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll mount this beast on a set of bellows to find the infinity. I'll just have to figure out now to mount it, some kind of metal reducing piece from 100mm to 50mm then attach an M42 ring to fit the bellows.

The other magic lantern lenses I've seen being used as camera lenses are all around 50mm diameter (2inch) so this one is quite different.

I don't think this has a very long FL, it seems to be almost a fisheye when looking through it. I have a nasty feeling it won't work on a camera as the register will be too small.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fun looking lens! Very Happy

When I first saw it, I couldn't help but think of the water-filled Sutton panoramic lens. Wink

http://www.novacon.com.br/odditycameras/sutton.htm
http://www.earlyphotography.co.uk/site/entry_L129.html#L129

Do keep us posted on the results of your focus testing!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, I remember the thread about that lens now.

I forgot about his magic lantern lens, I will have to get it out tomorrow and see if I can cobble together some kind of mounting for it on my bellows and see if I can get any kind of picture out of it!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Ah yes, I remember the thread about that lens now.

It was only two weeks ago! Laughing

There's always too many projects, eh? Mr. Green

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have almost banned myself from more purchases, I have too many lenses waiting to be tested and many projects involving adapting unusual oddities for use on a camera too. I also have a load of lenses I need to sell as I don't need them anymore and they are gathering dust.

So yes, too many projects!

But it's fun!