Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 28-90 goes Kite Surfing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Vivitar 28-90 goes Kite Surfing Reply with quote

Another afternoon at the beach with the kids.
Some images with this lens (made by Komine) on Pentax K-10D.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice....is this the series 1 lens?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to be a very capable lens! I assume the last one was zoomed in and the others were at the wider end. I really like the trick perspective with the giant lady in the last shot!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such sunny days .....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks.
Yes this is a Series 1 lens in PK mount.
I don't think that there were any Vivitar 28-90's that were not Series 1, and AFAIK only Komine made this for Vivitar.
(unlike say the Vivitar 28-200 which appeared in variants by Kiron, Cosina and Kobori)
OH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand, I believe you're correct on both counts. All Vivitar 28-90s are Series 1 lenses, and all of them that I've seen were made by Komine. Now, the later 28-105 that replaced it is a different matter. It was made by Cosina (09 first two digits). I've seen a LOT of thesse 28-105s -- even own one -- and they all have the 09 S/N code.

I have dismantled both the 28-90 and the 28-105 and I thought the 28-105 would most likely be similar in construction. Actually, it was quite different. I cannot comment as to which is better, but I'd have to say that the 28-105 was built every bit as stoutly as the 28-90 was. So that's something at least. Is it as sharp as the 28-90? That I don't know. The 28-90 is a phenomenally sharp optic, so it wouldn't surprise me if it falls somewhat short. But since I own a copy of each, I guess what I need to do is give them a good, rigorous comparison.

Sorry, kind of got off on a tangent there. Anyway, yes, I've got to agree, the sharpness is about what I'd expect to see from this lens. And yes, I like the way you've played with perspective in a couple of shots.

Woot! Post number 6,000!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael.
Kiron also made a 28-105 but it appeared under their own brand and I don't think it made it to the Vivitar stable.
I owned one and tested it against the Komine Vivitar 28-90 when I had it. It was very good but not in the same class as the Komine Viv 28-90.
I have sold it but kept this one - actually two, one in Nikon AI mount and this one in PK mount.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spread it around a little bit. The 28-90 I owned back in the 80s was a Canon FD mount. I sold it when I switched systems to Nikon and I briefly owned the 28-105 after switching. Several years ago, I bought another 28-90 for Nikon mount. I now also own the 28-105 again, but in Canon FD. Mixed up, but at least I can compare both side by side on my NEX.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I've spread it around a little bit. The 28-90 I owned back in the 80s was a Canon FD mount. I sold it when I switched systems to Nikon and I briefly owned the 28-105 after switching. Several years ago, I bought another 28-90 for Nikon mount. I now also own the 28-105 again, but in Canon FD. Mixed up, but at least I can compare both side by side on my NEX.

Yes, that will be interesting.
I wonder if your lenses will show the same as mine did. For me, the 28-90 was consistently very sharp across the zoom range and really excelled at the top end. The Kiron was also very good but not quite as sharp to my eye and did not show quite the same contrast.
The 28-90 just has a kind of "snap" that makes it stand out.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice,I like the giant in the last shot as well Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i'm new in this forum and to photography so i ask sorry before for my ignorance, i just received a vivitar 28 - 90 2.8-3.5 and im struggling to understand how i can change focal length, how can i activate the zoom? (manual)
Anyone could be so patient to tell me ? thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul81 wrote:
Hi, i'm new in this forum and to photography so i ask sorry before for my ignorance, i just received a vivitar 28 - 90 2.8-3.5 and im struggling to understand how i can change focal length, how can i activate the zoom? (manual)
Anyone could be so patient to tell me ? thanks

Push and pull.
Grasp the focusing collar and push it away from you to get to the 90mm end.
Pull it back for 28mm.
Congratulations on your new lens.
Very good it is.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, a couple of piccies to help:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank u for the reply i just sort it out half hour ago, i have seen a lot of sample video, and i have read all the forums before sign here i really think is an amazing lens , mine is close to mint condition perfect lens and body as well i took for 35 quid i think is a bargain, i also took a 75 - 150 mm and a 75 - 205 can't decide which is better...
To be honest i'm not totally a profane but i'm more in to video so i have prime lenses carl zeiss planar t 1.7 and samyang 35 mm also bought second hand but is totally like new for 170 quid, but i never met a push and pull lens.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Oldhand very kind i love your last pic amazing !!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
OK, a couple of piccies to help:

Thanks for posting this.....interesting....I have a copy of this lens. It's not ready for prime time, as I must open it up and clean the oily blades that are stuck open. But I've always thought it odd that my zoom barrel covered half the lettering when at 28mm and 90mm.

Mine must be off calibration some how. The focusing/zoom barrel is a bit loose and the action is a bit stiff too.

My copy was free due to the stuck blades, so no loss. If it can be refurbished, win win scenario. I like how this lens picks up color and sharpness across the edges.

I picked up the Kiron 28-105 to compare. It's quite good too, but must agree, I think this one is sharper and produces images that appeals to the eye more.