Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Argus 58mm f1.7 (Mamiya)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Argus 58mm f1.7 (Mamiya) Reply with quote

I am wondering if anybody knows the "register" distance of this lens. I have looked around the web and cannot find sufficient information. I have not posted any inquiry at Ron Herron's Mamiya forum yet. This came with a Argus 35mm SLR- image in the next post. The camera is beyond my restoration potential-but I plan on hanging on to it just in case I get a surge of enthusiasm, the time and resources.

Thank You

Last edited by Kathmandu on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the camera . Its in very bad shape. From besides what I can see, and the cosmetic condition- the mirror is missing the shutter button is not there and the film advance knob is held on by a slotted screw.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many battles your camera was in ? A lot, sure. Although is something crude, it's nice to recover.

I don't know the register, but you can know it only measure the distance from the external part of the camera mount to the film.

Ron has a great site but Argus/Mamiya is, like almost all the 50's and 60's makers, an enigma to solve.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know the register, but you can know it only measure the distance from the external part of the camera mount to the film.

You make a very good point. I will have to resort to that.

Quote:
how many battles your camera was in ? A lot, sure.

Lots of battles I am sure .

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks a lot like Nikon, but I believe this was a unique mount.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
luisalegria:It looks a lot like Nikon, but I believe this was a unique mount.

The mount looks like a Minolta Md mount. It s screwed on the back end of the lens, and has set screws on the side like some Exaktas. It is unique.I have not opened it yet.

Quote:
Relayer:Argus bayonet 44.45mm

I measured the Film to Flange-it confirms

Thank you all your replys

Regards

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following up on an older post- I am very close to fully finishing converting the mount by way of a T-Mount that has been shaved on the inside. I have some images of the conversion and some closeup test images, and I am thoroughly loving this old lens. On a side note there are 10 blades in the iris.

Lens mount with set screws on the side removed

Lens mount removed and T-mount to Minolta/Sony AF on the left ready to take its place.

Insides of the T-mount shaved (6mm all around)-in this case.

Newly converted mount on Argus lens.

The conversion is not fully finished-I need to make the T-mount thinner, and shave a line off the mounting boss- in order to reach infinity-that will come in time. I am loving taking close up shots for now Very Happy .

Last edited by Kathmandu on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:43 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some test shots :

@f 4.5

@f1.7

@f2.8

@f3

Regards

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera looks a lot like the Mamiya-built Ricoh Singlex and Nikkorex F twins.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
The camera looks a lot like the Mamiya-built Ricoh Singlex and Nikkorex F twins.

But it does not have the Copal shutter. More correctly, it is a Mamiya Prismat with proprietary bayonet mount. I have seen this same camera with Mamiya markings on it. I believe "WP" was the model designation.

I believe the register distance is one or two milimeters less than M-42, as I have an M-42 adapter for this camera.

Here's my take on it from 2002...

http://sites.google.com/site/casualcollectorproject/Home/argus

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's the model before Mamiya became the first manufacturer who adopted the Copal Square shutter. The styling is still similar though.