Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss 35mm f2.8 Flektogon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Zeiss 35mm f2.8 Flektogon Reply with quote

One of my favorite lenses. I use it regularly on my Exakta VX 500, and also via adapter on my Olympus Pen Fs. Exakta lenses are great on the Pens, because all you have to do is press the external shutter button on the lens which stops it down, then depress the shutter button on the camera itself. So I regularly use Exakta lenses in this manner.

Here's the lens, itself, mounted on my favorite Exakta. Unfortuntely, there are pinholes in the shutter curtain on this instrument, so I cannot use this camera. But it sure is pretty! (Taken with the Pentax K10, and 24-60mm Sigma f2.Cool

First up, something different. I found some bulk Kodak 2475 Recording film in my basement. It had been there well over 25 years. So I did some testing, found that if I exposed it at ASA 160 and developed it for 12 minutes in D76 1:1, I got a useable image that would print on grade 3 paper. So I loaded up the Pen with a 20 exposure roll (I like sub-miniature formats for grain effects . . . much easier to do!), put on the Flektogon, and headed out to the Vanderhoof and Prince George industrial areas. Two pictures from this series:

Lumber mill at Vanderhoof: Olympus Pen FT, Zeiss 35mm f2.8 Flektogon via adapter, Kodak 2475 Recording Film, 1/125th at f8, D76 1:1, scanned 5x7 print made on Arista Edu Grade 3

Pallets at Lumber Kiln site, Prince George Lumber Co: Olympus Pen FT, Zeiss f2.8 Flektogon, Kodak 2475 Recording Film, 1/250th at f8, D76 1:1, scanned 5x7 print made on Arista Edu Grade 3:

And, on the Exakta VX500, this moody shot of the Nechako River at Prince George. Taken at 11:00 PM in July, when it's light out until almost midnight . . . but the light is deep twilight quality, and produces some very atmospheric effects. 1/20th at f5.6, Ilford XP2 film at 400. 35mm Zeiss f2.8 Flektogon. Scanned 4x6 machine print - I tinted it a touch. More detail in the shadow areas could be brought out on an enlargement, but I haven't had the time.

And here is a PS - I found a shot of the Exakta VX500 (my Exakta user) with the Flektogon on it. I like using this camera - especially with the waist level finder, it's just plain quaint!!

Thanks for looking in! I'll post some more retro stuff from my collection next week! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely pictures, the grain just adds to the timeless quality of them. It's a great lens as well, I use a later version on my Sony A6000 and love it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: A couple from my 35m Flek on a Sony NEX-6 Reply with quote

From a local museum specializing on restored buildings from the 1800s:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newst, definitely beautiful pictures. The first one especially is a magazine class image, just sensational. It's fabulous to see those old artifacts in such clarity and with such a beautiful composition. Well done.

With respect to your 2nd shot, interestingly enough, I went hunting with a buddy a few years ago, and we both took a buck. I shot mine with my usual .270 and a 130 grain Sierra. He took his with a .55 calibre round ball out of a flintlock. Both deer were just as dead. I think respecting our past enriches our present.

I'm not a total Luddite - Very Happy -I use digital for color, and B&W is exclusively analog. My reference point is a framed print for both. I think digital is BETTER than our old color processes, in almost every respect. Not B&W - a silver print just has a quality about it that digital can't do in monochrome. So, about 30% or so of my work is done on film in B&W.

Biggest problem I had was adapting to a lot of chemistry and emulsions that I had no dealings with before when I returned to the darkroom. Yup, there's still the Iford Trinity of Pan F, FP4 and HP5, relatively intact, but man, everything else is different. Tri-X? It's not the film I used to use! I frankly like it better, though. Sure miss big grain for certain effects (thats why I posted the Recording film shots), but you can still get it of you work at it.

Thanks to both of you for your replies! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moltogordo,

Thank you for your kind remarks. I really love the cleaning day shot. I don't often get one that comes out so well but I keep trying. I have got to thank the museum staff for the setup however. All I had to do was stand there and focus on their display, which is truly awesome.