Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Takumar 55 F2.2 ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Auto Takumar 55 F2.2 ? Reply with quote

Does anyone have information on this lens? I could not find any info using the forum search.
There is one on the bay. The price is still low, so I was wondering how it compares to the F2 version.

Any hints appreciated!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had an Auto Takumar 55/2.2 delivered Smile Looks very similar to the 55/1.8 and 55/2...does anyone know if it's the same lens but with a bigger ring inside?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the PentaxForums lens review database [ http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/category-Pentax-Takumar-M42-Screwmount-Normal-Primes.html ] there were two Tak 55/2.2's, the first (non-Auto) being not so good, and 5 elements in 5 groups. The Auto-Tak 55/2.2 has 6 elements in 5 groups, same as the f/1.8 and f/2 55's, and may very well have the same optics, but I can't tell for sure. I'd say that if it's cheap, go for it, unless you already have faster version(s) and aren't a maniacal LBA victim.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and the link to pentaxforums.com!

I guess I'll keep my look out for the F1.8.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The f/2.2 is pretty much the same lens as the f/1.8, see http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Pentax_Takumar_Collection.html

Veijo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's about Takumars, always check my site Wink
http://kajiwara.weebly.com/takumar-5522-v2-65.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
When it's about Takumars, always check my site Wink
http://kajiwara.weebly.com/takumar-5522-v2-65.html

Mais, c'est en Francais mon ami Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Takumar 55 F2.2 ? Reply with quote

Centaur wrote:
Does anyone have information on this lens? I could not find any info using the forum search.
There is one on the bay. The price is still low, so I was wondering how it compares to the F2 version.

Any hints appreciated!

Thanks!

if it's still available and not expensive I would go for it.
well, if the f2.2 does not disturb you, f1.8/55mm Takumars can still be had for very little too.
both are excellent, the Auto Tak is smaller, looks more lovely, and the Auto Taks render very particular colors I find very attractive, different to those of the later Super, S-M-C and SCM Taks even if some may share the same optical formula

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, Fujinon do a 55mm f2.2 and it's very good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing the Auto-Takumar 1:2 f=55 and Auto-Takumar 1:2/55, with the Auto-Takumar 1:2.2/55

Both lenses have identical front and rear element curvatures.

Both lenses are the same length 33mm.

Both weigh 175 g

However, unlike the SuperTakumar 1:2/55 which, except for a max-aperture-limiting ring inside, is identical to the Super-Takumar 1:1.8/55, Isee no such ring in the Auto-Takumar 1:2.2/55.

Gerjan shows differing lens diagrams, and, gives different weights and lengths, however in another place says the lenses are identical, with f/2.2 crippled he doesn't say how.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got both the 2 and the 2.2, and they are not the same, although they look very similar.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
I've got both the 2 and the 2.2, and they are not the same, although they look very similar.

Very cool. I compared the my 2 labelled "1:2 f=55mm" (early), and my 2 labelled "1:2/55" (late) with my 2.2 (Chrome, early). Please tell me what difference(s) do you see in your copies? Thanks!

edit: Just discovered there is a third variation of the 2.2 -- a second chrome 2.2 with a smaller ".2" (supposedly to save room) on dof scale -- mine has both 2s same size.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2 should have a 2.5mm wider physical aperture. Maybe do a exposure comparison to see if there is a difference

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
The 2 should have a 2.5mm wider physical aperture. Maybe do a exposure comparison to see if there is a difference

Been wondering if .2 different aperture can be seen by meter. Haven't tried yet.

Both 2s and the chrome 2.2 have identical physical clear aperture measurements, taken from the front, of 25mm. And all diaphragms close down to the same size...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
KEO wrote:

Very cool. I compared the my 2 labelled "1:2 f=55mm" (early), and my 2 labelled "1:2/55" (late) with my 2.2 (Chrome, early). Please tell me what difference(s) do you see in your copies? Thanks!

D'oh! I have to correct myself.

I checked them out together, and they do appear to be almost exactly the same. The reason I remembered them being different is because someone did some surgery on the 2 and removed the aperture pin. The aperture function is a bit different from the 2.2 as a result.

It's interesting...they seem to be the same except for the color of the distance scale numbers. The infinity mark and the feet numbers are white on the 2, while they're yellow (the same as the meters numbers) on the 2.2. My guess would be that 2.2 is actually closer to the actual aperture rating, and they simply changed it on later units (the 2.2 has a higher serial number than the 2).

They're both excellent lenses, in any case.

I'd buy the 2.2, since they seem to be a bit cheaper.