Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MC Zenitar M2s 2/50 - Sharper than Helios 44!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: MC Zenitar M2s 2/50 - Sharper than Helios 44! Reply with quote

Hello,
I've bought this here: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220794909535&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
In subscription only an addtional "50mm f/2 lens" was mentioned, nothing about condition or name of the lens. I was very curious about it.

Now I recieved a complete Tair 3S Fotosnaiper Set in mint condition with original case, original screwdriver, original 72mm filters, Zenit 122s Body,... and an additional MC Zenitar M2S. I never heard of this Zenitar plastic-lens before. I tried it and compared it to the Helios 44-2, 44M-7 and Helios 77M-4 and woow! it's sharper wide open in the center than all of them!

On 1,5x APSC sensor it shows some vignetting and low sharpness in the corners wide open but the center is sharp like hell. The bokeh is also very nice. I didn't used it yet for "real" pictures. But I'm very suprised.

Here are some testshots (sorry for in-cam B/W conversion), all wide open:

100% Crop, ISO 800, noise reduction on

Another advantage over the Helios lenses is that this lens has no problem with flaring. Very nice Smile

Why I don't hear more about this lens?

Last edited by ForenSeil on Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:29 pm; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've this lens too. i bought it because it's so tiny and light. I was also very surprised by its quality!

Unfortunately, I don't use it as it deserves because mine has "already" a problem of grease! So that focusing is so hard...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's a more modern, plastic lens which isn't talked about much. Mine was sharp with some pop. And VERY light Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Zenitar M 50/2, sharper than my Helios 44-3 too, funny shape Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some shots with an old Zenit ET, AGFA ATX 100 and the Zenitar M2S Smile
Devoloped with instant Coffee, Ascorbic and Soda

A LOT was lost during digitalisation (no scanner, heavy problems with flares)

With Real Fruit Juice % Polyphenols Smile maybe it's also possible to devolope Film with this soup Wink

An here is an example for it's colors (no PP, on NEX-3):

(close min. focus of about 35cm)

I like this lens very much Smile
In some situatios it seems to show some tendencies to make a slightly swirly bokeh in the centre. Is it somehow based on the Biotar lens design?

Last edited by ForenSeil on Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:33 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a two-bladed square bokeh zenitar?

It is kinda confusing! Confused

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:

That is perfect for photographing ice cubes! Building blocks! Le Corbusier architecture! Spongebob Squarepants! Bulldogs!
But it can't match the Diana's NEW OPTICAL LENS 50/5.6 with its triangular aperture. Shoot the pyramids! Induce epilepsy!
My Schneider Betavaron has a 5-star iris that yet produces smooth creamy bokeh. Maybe its kilo of glass makes a difference.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:

It is kinda confusing! Confused

Interseting lens, but 300$ ?
You can buy 20 M2S lenses for that price and substitute the iris to put your own triangles, stars, nude girl shapes or whatever Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it, but sold it when I got the 1.7 version which is a stunning lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I had it, but sold it when I got the 1.7 version which is a stunning lens.

I did same thing Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an older 50/1.9, which I had since my second Zenit in the '90s, and has been the very start of my manual focus disease. I was ready to buy a Canon 50/1.8; I borrowed one from a friend, tested both on the same scene, and decided there was no need for it. BTW, Canon was slightly better on borders but less on center. From that... well, all the others Smile .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if it's really sharper than all Helios 44's (have seen razor sharp copies...), but at least as sharp.
Although a comparison between a 50mm and a 58mm isn't 100% perfect...

The Zenitar-M 50mm f/1.7 is very sharp as well:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy of 50/2 M2s

F2

F4

Comparison Wide Open: M2s vs Helios MC 44M-4:

#1 Zenitar F2

#2 Helios F2

BOKEH - all wide open F2: