Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to find a matching lens hood?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: How to find a matching lens hood? Reply with quote

I still need hoods for two of my lenses.

1. SMC Pentax - M 2.0/28 (49mm filter thread)
2. SMC Pentax - M 1.7/50 (49mm filter thread)

Both lenses are used on Pentax K-r (Crop 1.5).

How can I calculate the dimensions of the perfect hood?
I would prefer to buy a simple metal hood for each lens, how long should they be?

Thanks for your advice.

Timo

[/list]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

normal lens is easy any hood okay I think, wide is different , do you sure do you really need hood ?
I never use hoods , most lens works well without hood.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I think so, I got some images with low contrast or lens flare caused by bright lateral light. On the other hand a hood will also protect the front elemet from unwanted touch.

I even got the feeling that a bright light source which shines into the lens but can`t be seen in the view finder because of the crop factor of my camera nevertheless can bother my image.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 49mm filter thread my suggestion is take an East German rubber hood very practical, 20mm I have really no idea , I have factory hoods for some 20mm lenses they are usually nothing just a little ring. Try to make a DIY one from card board and look which size is okay .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good read http://toothwalker.org/optics/lenshood.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 28mm on crop almost any "normal" metal hood will be fine. This is like a 42mm on crop, so there usually isn't a vignetting problem.
If you are concerned, get a plastic "flower" hood.
As Attila says, the ordinary rubber hoods are good also. I use one with my 24mm Pentax on crop (36mm equivalent).

Just be careful with filters, filter+hood could cause vignetting. On DSLR there is rarely a reason to use a filter, except sometimes a polarizer.

Another way, if you are concerned with vignetting, is to get a normal metal hood one or two sizes larger - say 52-55mm for 49mm, and use it with a step-up adapter. I would certainly do this with a polarizer.

Look in ebay, there are plenty of normal hoods from China for $3, plastic or metal.
Step up adapters are $2-3

The cheap 'wide angle' metal hoods they sell are usually too large and don't look good on a little lens, and I think they aren't such good protection.

I always use a hood, no matter what lens. Its better protection than a filter, and it improves results, often surprising by how much.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always prefer to use a hood on all my lenses too. With 1.5 sensor it is easier
to find lens hoods because you are only using most of the centre part of the
lens. Since I no longer use alot of my old film filters , I remove the glass part
and just use the rings as hoods. My pentax 50mm 1.7 uses four rings
(thickness may vary) so use 3 or 5. Makes a perfect hood.
Once you have them on...turn lens to smallest aperture (highest f number)...
aim at bright wall or blue sky...press aperture stop down button to check in
view finder to see if vignetting and adjust accordingly.Works for any lens.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 1.5x, I typically just go to the next longer hood, so far so good, just look for vignetting in live view.
24->28
28->35
35->50
50->85

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was new to m4/3 I simple made a long paper hood for each lens and cut it down until I did not see any vignette before go on hunting on eBay. Now I have so many hoods I don't have to do that any more.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: How to find a matching lens hood? Reply with quote

timo832000 wrote:

How can I calculate the dimensions of the perfect hood?

It's quite easy Timo:
- Cut a strip of black floppy cardboard, 20 cm long is more than enough, and make it 10 cm wide.
- Wrap it around your lens, with the edge of the cardboard matching the front edge of the lens.
- Stop the lens down to f/8 or smaller
- Point the camera to the sky.
- Shift forward the cardboard, until you notice it's presence appearing in the corners of the viewfinder.
- Then shift back just as much as it disappears again, and hold it there.
- Take the measurement, that is the longest hood lenght that your lens/camera combination does allow. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio, this is really simple. Very good Idea, I will do that.

Timo