Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fingerpainting in Light... (a homage to Exa-Klaus)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Fingerpainting in Light... (a homage to Exa-Klaus) Reply with quote

Hi folks

After Klaus posted his wonderful 'Painting with Light' thread full of dreamy, painterly images I was inspired to try to emulate him and produce some similarly beautiful and 'painterly' images of my own...

Sadly I'm nowhere near Klaus' level of skill but I have enthusiasm and that is what counts, right? lol

I used one of my favourite lenses - a huge and heavy Rathenower Optische Werke Visionar 1.9/168mm lens that was originally used to project films in cinemas.

I think it's a Petzval type lens, it is sharp but the depth of field is incredibly shallow, this leads to only small portions of the image being in focus and the rest lost in a sea of blur.

I called this thread 'fingerpainting' to imply I'm just dabbling and trying to emulate Klaus's wonderful work, anyways, here are the best shots I managed to create this afternoon:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh man, you scared me.
Seeing the title I thought he passed away.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your " hommage to Tesco" is excellent Smile

and i am happy that Himself´s concerns are wrong

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fingerpainting in Light... (a homage to Klaus) Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Best shot of the series! Mr. Green

I have the same reaction when people take my picture. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, she is a good friend of mine and had an exaggerated, comedic reaction when she saw me pointing my massive lens at her! She was doing a combination smile/gimace while waving and trying not to drop her phone and bag, just a funny snapshot I thought. Out of focus though, the dof is so tiny on this lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a serious note, I'd love to hear some advice on how to achieve a more 'painterly' effect ala Klaus' work, I guess a large part of it is the choice of subject...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian: To do what Klaus displayed, I believe you will need a very fast lens that suffers from ghosting of light areas. Two lenses of mine come to mind; the Cyclop and the Series 1 200mm f/3 at f/3, although the latter will also have plenty of CA.

Perhaps also a diffusion filter will provide an interesting effect. Last summer was so hot and humid here that my lenses were fogging up when I went outside. I shot with them anyway and had some similar results.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that a lot!

(I'm not that (Exa-)Klaus, but the other and took the liberty to mod the title accordingly Wink )

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya woodrim, aha, I see now, what i missed was there are two components to the effect Klaus got - super smooth bokeh and that highlight glow, my Visionar has the former but not the latter.

I almost bought a Rodenstock Heliogon on ebay the other week but it went a bit high for my wallet.

I do have the modified Helios-44 to play with, I will try it tomorrow, it does show some of the swirly bokeh and highlight glow of the Helios-40, maybe I can get somewhere close to the effect i seek with it.

In the long run I do want a cyclop...

Thankyou for modding the title Klaus to avoid confusion. I take it you're both called Klaus and for clarity's sake we call you Klaus and him Exa-Klaus?

P.S. What is it you like, Klaus?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, both lenses are pretty different performers.
Old shots taken with Sigma SD10 several years ago

Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ian first two shots seem totally different from others that are pretty unusable. Is that really the same lens?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Exaklaus. Yes, now I see your images I see how the lenses are very different, your Kinoptik has all that diffuse glow and much more dof it seems.

Pancolart, well spotted, those first two shocked me, particularly the second one of the rose.

It is the same lens for all shots, not sure why those ones are so much nicer.

If you look carefully at these shots you can see hoe small parts of the image are sharp but everything else is blurred:

In this one, look at the woman's hand, it is sharp and in focus but nothing else in the frame is.

In this one, look at the bicycle, the front wheel is in focus as is the woman's foot but her face isn't.

And in this one, several bits around the frame seem to be sharp.

I know this lens has an extremely shallow DOF but the way it rendered these images confuses me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, DOF is extremely shallow and focusing is quite difficult, to say the least!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, focussing is a nightware, best to shoot several shots and hope one is in focus.

This is why this lens takes better pictures of stationary things like the rose and leaves, I could take loads of pics and pic the one where the desired portion was in focus.

To show how frustrating this lens can be to use, look at this pic, the man in the shirt if out of focus, but look at his left hand and the silver watch strap, that is in focus which means the dof was only a mere few cm in front of his face but that was far enough to render it blurry...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His tummy is in focus, too Laughing
Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well spotted!

It is bizarre sometimes how this lens renders...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the recent talk about Cyclop, I got itchy for it and did a short walk. Do any of these qualify for the painterly effect?

The last one was manipulated.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exaklaus wrote:
His tummy is in focus, too Laughing
Klaus

Easiest focus target in some men around 50 Laughing Embarassed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that first shot woodrim, painterly indeed, almost ethereal. Thanks for sharing.