Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

So I went with a 645
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: So I went with a 645 Reply with quote

Got one coming since I lost out on the P6. Now to get an adapter for those P6 lenses.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320713796657&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Questions about it are sure to follow...Fair warning guys!! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, I think, as a user, that is a much much better camera than a P6.

P6 looks nice and is a nice collector's item but as a useable camera, it would be like stepping back to an early 60's all manual SLR like a Praktica Nova, but the 645 is like buying a modern K-mount Pentax instad of the Nova - you can still use all the same lenses but with a much more modern and practical camera.

Now you need some lenses!!!

Vega-12 or Biometar 80mm would be a good start, then a Mir or Flektogon wide angle...

I'd also get a set of bellows then you can use all manner of enlarger, repro and large format lenses.

P6 bellows are not that expensive:

http://www.rockycameras.com/pentacon-six-macro-bellows-3499-15414-p.asp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice... a 645 neg now puts an amateur (using film) on a par, for quality, with the best 35mm digital cameras at a fraction of the price.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked What an excellent idea about the bellows - I hadn't thought of that approach! Sure, a lot of vintage lenses will go on a bellows!

Congrats on the p645. These are very nice cameras, though the electronic interface is, shall we say, very '80s. Wink

Of the Pentax mf 645 lenses, the 75 and 150 are still reasonably priced, and truly excellent, but anything wide especially has been bid way up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the image circle is at least 6cm in diameter it will work on bellows with the 645 I reckon.

So that means any lens from an old folder can be used, whether it was intended for 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x9 or one of the larger dead formats like 116 and 122. There are tons of broken folders out there with nice lenses, luisalegria is the man to ask for recommendations I think. Shutter can just be held open at the B position with a spring from an old writing pen or jam a sliver of wood between the shutter lever and the shutter body, I did that with a Zeiss Novar Anastigmat, non destructive as you just remove the piece of wood and it still works, the end of a toothpick would suffice.

Then there are all the enlarger lenses, I think most 50mm ELs will cover a 6cm circle, certainly 75mm and up will.

But what I'd really want to be strapping on a set of P6 bellows would be the large format lenses like the Ross Xpress, Kodak Aero Ektar, Dallmeyer Pentac, Cooke Aviar, even the more modern ones from Schneider, Tominon etc can be had for reasonable prices these days.

I bet Big Dawg could have a lot of fun comparing Zeiss P6 lenses to Schneider LF/Repro ones on the 645!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Well done, I think, as a user, that is a much much better camera than a P6.

P6 looks nice and is a nice collector's item but as a useable camera, it would be like stepping back to an early 60's all manual SLR like a Praktica Nova, but the 645 is like buying a modern K-mount Pentax instad of the Nova - you can still use all the same lenses but with a much more modern and practical camera.

Now you need some lenses!!!

Vega-12 or Biometar 80mm would be a good start, then a Mir or Flektogon wide angle...

I'd also get a set of bellows then you can use all manner of enlarger, repro and large format lenses.

P6 bellows are not that expensive:

http://www.rockycameras.com/pentacon-six-macro-bellows-3499-15414-p.asp

Got a Volna 80mm f/2.8 on it's way I hope!! I'll see how it works out when it gets here. Just downloaded the manual for the 645 from...http://www.butkus.org/chinon/index.html. Forget the Chinon as this place has most manuals for most camera brands...Oh yeah..Leave a contribution...He deserves it!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Nice... a 645 neg now puts an amateur (using film) on a par, for quality, with the best 35mm digital cameras at a fraction of the price.

The only draw back here is the film cost and processing costs. I do not want to process my own. Been there and done that...just not my cup of tea!! LOL Any suggestions for Film?? Brands and names?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, I posted some information on this in a pentaxforum 'user review':
http://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-645.html

Re film - if you don't want to do your own developent, there are the usual suspects in color print and slide films.

I've used Dwayne's for both print and slide, with good service. Others use Wal Mart's service - they send to Fuji - with excellent results.

I'm about to try this place, they have good feedback and are slighly cheaper than Dwayne's:
Click here to see on Ebay

Last edited by Nesster on Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Shocked What an excellent idea about the bellows - I hadn't thought of that approach! Sure, a lot of vintage lenses will go on a bellows!

Congrats on the p645. These are very nice cameras, though the electronic interface is, shall we say, very '80s. Wink

Of the Pentax mf 645 lenses, the 75 and 150 are still reasonably priced, and truly excellent, but anything wide especially has been bid way up.

The widest I'm going right now is a Flektogon 50mm in P6 mount! I'll probably get at least one Pentax A lens such as a 50mm.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tutorial Jussi, please publish it here to if you don't mind. This is an essential reading for all new owners.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
As long as the image circle is at least 6cm in diameter it will work on bellows with the 645 I reckon.

So that means any lens from an old folder can be used, whether it was intended for 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x9 or one of the larger dead formats like 116 and 122. There are tons of broken folders out there with nice lenses, luisalegria is the man to ask for recommendations I think. Shutter can just be held open at the B position with a spring from an old writing pen or jam a sliver of wood between the shutter lever and the shutter body, I did that with a Zeiss Novar Anastigmat, non destructive as you just remove the piece of wood and it still works, the end of a toothpick would suffice.

Then there are all the enlarger lenses, I think most 50mm ELs will cover a 6cm circle, certainly 75mm and up will.

But what I'd really want to be strapping on a set of P6 bellows would be the large format lenses like the Ross Xpress, Kodak Aero Ektar, Dallmeyer Pentac, Cooke Aviar, even the more modern ones from Schneider, Tominon etc can be had for reasonable prices these days.

I bet Big Dawg could have a lot of fun comparing Zeiss P6 lenses to Schneider LF/Repro ones on the 645!

Oh man!! Let me recover from the cost of the camera first!! LOL I will be trying a few things later but first I have to reaclimate my self to the world of film photography...LOL..I thought I'd not be returning to it but...Well.. Here I am. LOL Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Volna has a good rep, should be a nice lens.

Here's some suggestions for cheapies but goodies you could have fun with:

Schneider Repro Claron f9 150mm, 99c no reserve, should make a great macro lens:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Schneider-Repro-Claron-150mm-f-9-Clear-Glass-L-K-SAVE-/150628696388?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item23122b8144

This is the type of Schneider lens I would be most interested in though, a LF Xenotar 2.8/150mm, that one has a stuck aperture sadly:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Schneider-Kreuznach-Xenotar-Camera-Lens-1-2-8-150mm-/110711474901?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item19c6eb0ad5

Rodenstock also make some interesting lenses like this 180mm Rodagon:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rodenstock-Rodagon-1-5-6-180mm-/140571130852?pt=UK_Photography_DarkroomSupplies_SM&hash=item20bab13be4

Just saying, apart from the Zeiss and Russian MF lenses there are other options of equal quality that won't break the bank.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
btw, I posted some information on this in a pentaxforum 'user review':
http://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-645.html

Re film - if you don't want to do your own developent, there are the usual suspects in color print and slide films.

I've used Dwayne's for both print and slide, with good service. Others use Wal Mart's service - they send to Fuji - with excellent results.

I'm about to try this place, they have good feedback and are slighly cheaper than Dwayne's:

Saved the lab to my favorite sellers list. Love the review...many thanks!! Any recommendations on adapters? A good one but not too expensive!! LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Great tutorial Jussi, please publish it here to if you don't mind. This is an essential reading for all new owners.

+1 Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

The only draw back here is the film cost and processing costs. I do not want to process my own. Been there and done that...just not my cup of tea!! LOL Any suggestions for Film?? Brands and names?

Kodak Portra and Ektar has many supporters, I haven't tried them yet though so I'm just the messenger.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Kodak Portra and Ektar has many supporters, I haven't tried them yet though so I'm just the messenger.

Shucks! now I can't kill you!!! LOL...Kodak and Fuji are on the short list just because of local availability!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost any film can be good and bad , matter is really processing and scan.
I had badly processed Fuji Superia I thought it crap and Excalibur, Katastropho did show me a well processed one... Now I know that is a valuable film and I love it. Laughing

So if film looks awful , better to give it a try to another lab.

I think for landscapes, cityscapes where is subject near infinity best results come from slide films. Fuji Provia, Velvia50, Velvia100, Sensia 100, Astia 100

what I did try all are just great I did never try any KODAK until today, roll is not developed yet so no opinion on Kodak.

For portraits, rocks, tools what made from wood , wall etc color film and b&w can be very good I don't see point waste more expensive slide film on it.

Kodak Portra 160VC, NC, Fuji Pro , Fujicolor 200, Konica Centuria etc, etc what I did try all are good 'unknown' supermarket branded film usually less good.

From B&W I vote for less expensive Fomapan great film I got better result with Foma than double priced Ilford films.

Agfa APX can be nice also.

Think about own processing , it can be fast , inexpensive

B&W ~ 50 cents /roll.

Color film C-41 ~ 1-2 USD /roll
Slide E-6 ~ 2 USD/roll

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Almost any film can be good and bad , matter is really processing and scan.
I had badly processed Fuji Superia I thought it crap and Excalibur, Katastropho did show me a well processed one... Now I know that is a valuable film and I love it. Laughing

So if film looks awful , better to give it a try to another lab.

I think for landscapes, cityscapes where is subject near infinity best results come from slide films. Fuji Provia, Velvia50, Velvia100, Sensia 100, Astia 100

what I did try all are just great I did never try any KODAK until today, roll is not developed yet so no opinion on Kodak.

For portraits, rocks, tools what made from wood , wall etc color film and b&w can be very good I don't see point waste more expensive slide film on it.

Kodak Portra 160VC, NC, Fuji Pro , Fujicolor 200, Konica Centuria etc, etc what I did try all are good 'unknown' supermarket branded film usually less good.

From B&W I vote for less expensive Fomapan great film I got better result with Foma than double priced Ilford films.

Agfa APX can be nice also.

Think about own processing , it can be fast , inexpensive

B&W ~ 50 cents /roll.

Color film C-41 ~ 1-2 USD /roll
Slide E-6 ~ 2 USD/roll

All good information. Thanks.

Know of any good deals on P6-645 adapters?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found only this mine did came from Ukraine, I think no matter this adapter is good than others. This is a simple adapter so don't think so they are not same.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

I found only this mine did came from Ukraine, I think no matter this adapter is good than others. This is a simple adapter so don't think so they are not same.

So the Mamiya 645 and the Pentax 645 are the same lens mount?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but the Mamiya has a shorter register so Mamiya lenses will only work for macro on a Pentax 645 body.

Mamiya 645 = 63.3mm
Pentax 645 = 70.87mm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
Attila wrote:

So the Mamiya 645 and the Pentax 645 are the same lens mount?

I was blind I thought this P645 adapter I don't know Mamiya 645.

I bought mine from Grizzlybear Ebay seller , but I don't find her account now. I will try to look one to you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't find any on Ebay now.

http://www.hartblei.com/price_list.htm 45 USD.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to film, I've used both Portra and Ektar and really like both. Ektar I've only used in 35mm format so far, but I've heard really good things about it in 120.

Portra gives very good color saturation and very fine grain. Reminds me a lot of slide film. I really like the stuff and honestly I don't see how Ektar could offer much of an improvement.

For B&W, 400TX all the way. I love it in medium format.

For slides, Fuji Provia or Velvia. Velvia has a very narrow exposure latitude, so you really have to pay attention to shadow areas when you use it. Provia is a bit more forgiving.

But you know what? I'd also be willing to dabble. Like go to Freestyle and see what's on sale or priced cheap and try some. Who knows? Right now, I'm pretty well set on 120 and 220 film, so this hasn't occurred to me until just now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentacon-Kiev-88CM-Lens-Pentax-645-Camera-Adapter-/130458498771

And this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/adapter-Pentacon-6-Kiev-60-88CM-Pentax-645-BR-NEW-/390301246671

and this one.

http://www.dvdtechnik.com/?p=res&pn=1&p_t=view&id=60&mid=82&cur=usd

And this one.

http://www.dvdtechcameras.com/other/adapter/9/9.htm