Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtländer Lanthar 2.8/50 @ EOS (first shots)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Voigtländer Lanthar 2.8/50 @ EOS (first shots) Reply with quote

As shown {here}, I have adapted this Voigtländer lens to the EOS system. It does not reach infinity, but you can use it.

Wide open (f/2.Cool it produces images like a soft effect lens. Laughing
But the colours are OK.

Stopped down to f/5.6, it gets sharp. You can see the interesting "diamond" bokeh due to the strange shape of the aperture diaphragm:

So, it's rather an effect lens than a really usable one. Wink

Last edited by LucisPictor on Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the diamond shape of the highlights! You should try some city traffic photos at night.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which color lanthar did you use?

Super lanthar for SRL? Lanthar for RF cameras? 3 or 4 elements version?

The pics are very good to me. The bokeh is particular, yes, but can be nice for some subjects.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

LucisPictor wrote:
As shown {here}, I have adapted this Voigtländer lens to the EOS system.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
estudleon wrote:

LucisPictor wrote:
As shown {here}, I have adapted this Voigtländer lens to the EOS system.

Excuse me, I didn't be clear.

There are some version of voigtlander's lanthar lens. There are al least two for RF and one for SRL cams.

I can't know which version you used- the first (3 elements) or the second (four elements) lanthar RF lens- only seeing it. From which cam it came from or if you know which version it is.

Thanks, Rino

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a RF lens, it's a very simple lens that was the fixed one of a Voigtländer Vitoret.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
It's not a RF lens, it's a very simple lens that was the fixed one of a Voigtländer Vitoret.

Oh... generically speaking a voigtlander RF camera, so RF lens.

Well, anyway it's a triplet, a three elements lanthar.

Thanks.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Oh... generically speaking a voigtlander RF camera, so RF lens.

To be precise (and with the danger of being hair-splitting now), not an RF (=rangefinder) cam, because there is no rangefinder. It's a very simple viewfinder camera with no metering and no distance measurement whatsoever.

That's why I wrote it was no RF lens.

Anyway, a triplet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
.......That's why I wrote it was no RF lens........

To be more precise yet, there isn't any possibility of RF lanthar lens.

Not matter if the cam is, or not, a RF one, the lenses never can be RF.

Only cameras can be RF, not lenses.

Well, only purism.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Well, only purism.

Rino.

But there are lenses for RF cams, in short "RF lenses". Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
estudleon wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Well, only purism.

Rino.

But there are lenses for RF cams, in short "RF lenses". Wink

It is a shame, in this case your lanthar would stay out. Wink

Laughing Laughing

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are fun to watch. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

It is a shame, in this case your lanthar would stay out. Wink

Laughing Laughing

Rino.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

woodrim wrote:
You guys are fun to watch. Smile

No problem, we are here the whole week.
Tickets are still available...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be this one Carsten?
I saw some enterprising sellers who were selling this adapted to different mounts on ebay for large sums . I bought a " beat up/repair parts" old Vito CL and cleaned/salvaged the lens-I am hoping to convert this to M42.

Looks like it will do "swirly" bokeh, looking at image 2 ?

Danke

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Carsten for posting pictures taken wtih the good old Lanthar.

My first camera in 1970 was a Vitoret with a Lanthar 50/2.8 triplet. The squarish highlights were sometimes a bit disturbing, but I got many great black and white pictures from this camera. I was 10 at the time, and the Vitoret had no lightmeter and no rangefinder either. I had to rely entirely on guesstimation, but I must say that this camera taught me a lot about photography!

After spending all my pocket money on having a few rolls processed, I decided to do my own developping and printing. Then, with my first summer jobs pay, I invested in a Pentax MX. The beginning of a long story...

If I manage to find the old photo albums, I'll try to post a few pictures.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
Must be this one Carsten?
I saw some enterprising sellers who were selling this adapted to different mounts on ebay for large sums . I bought a " beat up/repair parts" old Vito CL and cleaned/salvaged the lens-I am hoping to convert this to M42.

Yep. It seems to be the same.

But now that I have tinkered around with that lens a bit, I doubt that it can be easily converted to M42. The register distance is pretty short and if you want to adapt it to infinity you need to put the aperture ring inside the mirror box, so it seems.

It surely can be made, but it won't be easy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting an old topic, but I think it's worth adding to. I had a dead Voigtlander Vito CLR, dating back to the early 1960's so I took the lens off, the camera had stripped gears in the film winder so it wasn't worth trying to fix it. I made a rough mount for my Sony NEX a long time ago and liked the results, this Lanthar 50 / 2.8, a simple triplet lens with simple coating, was worthy of further investigation.
So, I've hacked a badly fungused Olympus Zuiko 50 / 1.8 into a nice compact helicoid mount using a NEX to C mount adapter and a bit of machining and hacking. The Zuiko is perfect, it's made a nice short helicoid.
What about the Lanthar ? It's good, very good. This picture is processed, a little bit of sharpening and colour boosting, but not much. No more than I'd do with most of my old lenses.
I shall post pictures of the mount and some more pictures taken with it shortly.

100% crop

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mount is a very modified helical from a Zuiko 50 / 1.8, I have reversed the male helicoid so the lens can be mounted slightly further forward, modified it so it has a tiny bit more movement, and made it in such a way that I can easily remove the lens and fit any other lens that mounts through a 1 inch hole, so most old folders and a lot of viewfinder camera lenses can be used. If they can be easily removed from the camera then I can use them on the Sony and fit them back to the camera afterwards.

All these pictures are straight from the camera , ISO 400, mostly shot at f4. Used wide open it is a bit softer, as these pic's are - but they sharpen up nicely with minimal sharpening.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set. I like the resurrection theme. The images are quite sharp but still something about them says retro.....