Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Exakta VarexIIa Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm f2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Exakta VarexIIa Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm f2 Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Attila! Looks like brand new...

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! VarexIIa is nicest looking old SLR in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Biotar 58/2 Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new here and just acquired this beatiful camera myself. Can you all please point me in the direction I need to go, to gain more information about it? I have no idea how to use it. Also, my lens has a little debris inside that I would like to remove, is this possible to do without mind numbing effort? I'm somewhat handy, but would hate to damage the lens in any way, as it seems to be in great condition for such an older lens.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

Here is manual , read it as always before start to use new camera.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/exakta/exakta_varex_iia/exakta_varex_iia.htm

Check curtain with led torch in dark , usually they have light leaks, hard to find usable one Sad

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A beauty!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
A beauty!

I think surely one of the nicest camera.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you kindly for the manual... I look forward to reading it and getting to know the camera. I have noticed from just carefully exploring the basics that I have an issue with the lens. Once it's stopped down to 5.6 the elements start to stick and don't fully close as they should from f/5.6 to f/16.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsh wrote:
Thank you kindly for the manual... I look forward to reading it and getting to know the camera. I have noticed from just carefully exploring the basics that I have an issue with the lens. Once it's stopped down to 5.6 the elements start to stick and don't fully close as they should from f/5.6 to f/16.

Do you mean the aperture blades? Keep working the aperture, they sometimes free up a bit with exercise. It may never free up enough to trust the auto aperture mechanism will work in time. I've got a couple of fiddly lenses that need to be fussed with to change the aperture, so once I get it to f/8 I tend to stay there.

And yes Exakta cameras are beautiful objects.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you mean the aperture blades?

@fuzzywuzzy, Yes, I'm speaking of the aperture blades. I've been working it, but due to the age of the lens I've refrained from overworking it.... in an effort to minimize further damage. I wish I could have it repaired, cleaned up, & lubed a bit, but I'm not aware of a reptuable place to send it.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: *update* Reply with quote

Well, I managed to unscrew the outermost ring & partially break the lens down & now have perfectly working aperture blades!!!! Very excited about that! I would have taken things a bit further in order to clean up the glass really well, but I'm in need of some proper tools. I just couldn't stand the thought of having great glass that didn't function properly and I was curious to know why it wouldn't. Turns out it was a very minor issue that was a quick, easy fix. How about that?!