Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Modifying a Folding Camera Lens for SLRs and DSLRs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Modifying a Folding Camera Lens for SLRs and DSLRs Reply with quote

I tried the search function a couple times but kept getting a 404 error, Search.php is missing. Is that just me?

Anyway, I got a lot of miscellaneous stuff off eBay today. One of the items is an old Compur-Radio shutter and Steinhall Munchen lens combo that looks like it came from a folding or box camera. I'd like to modify this to work on my Pentax. I should be able to create a basic mount that will allow me to connect it to a K-mount bellows (using a reversing ring). But what tips do you have for modifying this itself? I want to keep the aperture intact, but need to remove the shutter blades. Any input into that process?

For those of you who have tried this before, what tips do you have? What did you learn during the process that you wish you'd known beforehand?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use less , lot of effort and result will be just same or worst than an SLR lens what you have already. All DIY lens has pretty short life time ...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be fun and educational! Smile Agree complete that modern lens is probably better all around, but results from folder lens on dSLR might be interesting, with retro look.

I'd use the shutter in lens with camera in Bulb mode, or, if lens shutter has Bulb position, then use camera shutter. I do this with Pentax 6x7 90mm leaf shutter lens on 5Dc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out our member Vilva's website. Maybe gather a six pack and a bag of chips beforehand so you don't exhaust yourself.

http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/index.html

I have copied and built from his website myself for a couple years. It is fun to experiment.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a bellows and an extension tube or something similar, it's pretty simple to try out. Note that old shutters have a T setting, or at least a B. In T you click the shutter once to open, and again to close. In B you can simply jam something temporary in the shutter trip arm groove to keep the shutter open.

Use insulating tape or similar, something that compresses, and wrap that around the rear end of the lens... it should press fit, more or less, into a tube. Finish off with some electrical tape or similar, to hold the lens/shutter onto the tube... mount tube on bellows, bellows on camera.

The best bellows are M42 as they are cheap and the tubes are cheap, all you need is a M42 -> K adapter.

Results are fine, depending on lens and conditions of the shot.