Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Comparing Helios 44m-4 58mm 2.0 and Meyer Primoplan 58mm 1.9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Comparing Helios 44m-4 58mm 2.0 and Meyer Primoplan 58mm 1.9 Reply with quote

xdc

Last edited by MoonPix on Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Bienvenue!~ Reply with quote

Welcome!

What makes you think these are portrait lenses? Razz They are too sharp really?

Great comparison shots and very interesting that they are so similar. The Biotar seems to have been the "inspiration" for the Primotar!

Great post!!!

Please keep that up! Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done similar test including more Pancolar, Biotar and Oreston:
http://forum.mflenses.com/6x-shootout-pancolar-biotar-oreston-primoplan-helios-t31237.html you might find it interesting to compare with yours.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see a direct comparison of the Helios 40 85 1.5 and the Trioplan 100 2.8. Does anyone know where I can find such a comparison?

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were shooting a 7D or another crop-body camera, then I'd say the above two lenses are portrait lenses, but you have a 5D, so they're really "normal" lenses. Of course, it is often said that a portrait lens is that which whatever one is comfortable with using for portraiture, but if we more or less stick to a definition, then Moonpix's suggestion is better. That is, something in the 85mm - 100mm range. Me, I actually prefer 135mm, but see that's where the personal preference comes in again.

I also agree with Pat. This is a good comparison. I own a Helios-44M, but I've never used or even seen a Meyer Primoplan, so this comparison has been informative for me. In fact, should I run across any Meyer for cheap, I'm now liable to pick it up just because I've got a pretty good idea that it'll be a good optic, thanks to this test.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are both correct. Technically, for me, they are on the border of actually being a portrait lens. They are and will be for me, since my main intention is to shoot portraits with these lenses. However, I do agree that longer focal lengths (70mm+) are really better for portraits due to the compression that takes place.

I am glad it has proven informative...

Smile