Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 70-210mm f/4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Canon FD 70-210mm f/4 Reply with quote

I bought this one recently presuming it would be similar to the EF 70-210/4 which I had great fun with.

I understand this was considered a great zoom lens in its time, but I struggled with it on the Nex, where critical focus with shallow depth of field was required. Fine with a viewfinder, but a bit tricky with the LCD screen in the sun Sad

As a result, some of the photos aren't perfectly focused. I believe the lens is nice and sharp from wide open, but suffers vignetting wide open, even on APS-C! There is a fair amount of CA around as well...

f5.6 @ 210mm

f4 @ 100mm

100% crop

f4 @ 210mm

100% crop

f5.6 @ 210mm

100% crop

100% crop

f5.6 - macro @ 70mm

f4 @ 70mm @ ISO 800

100% crop

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

****I understand this was considered a great zoom lens in its time****

HuH...news to me Shocked

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Graham - I love the pictures anyway! Smile

tf

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, thanks Stan...just some quick test shots Smile

Excalibur, has this lens got a bad rep then? I'd only seen good reviews previously. I think it's probably good compared to other zooms of this vintage which show horrible purple fringing and might be softer wide open...

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Graham.

ehmm = I would say that Excalibur's comment is inappropriate

tf

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

Excalibur, has this lens got a bad rep then? I'd only seen good reviews previously. I think it's probably good compared to other zooms of this vintage which show horrible purple fringing and might be softer wide open...

Well my copy is not very sharp at the 210mm end, but macro is quite good....I don't use mine as IMHO Tamron and Kiron are better (not forgetting the Vivitar series1 zooms).

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Well my copy is not very sharp at the 210mm end, but macro is quite good....I don't use mine as IMHO Tamron and Kiron are better (not forgetting the Vivitar series1 zooms).

Excellent, thanks for the info Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Excellent, thanks for the info Smile

Well Graham I was so surprised reading the "great lens" part, I forget to praise your shots.......and they are VG.