Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help ! Flektogon 20/2.8 opened in two pieces
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Help ! Flektogon 20/2.8 opened in two pieces Reply with quote

Ops !!! Embarassed Today I've made it !!! I've opened it accidentally and I can't put it back again . I know , I am completely idiot !!! Evil or Very Mad Who can help me? I never opened a lens , don't have the skills to put it back.
If I have to sent it at least maybe somebody can fix it for good ,because it is absolutely unusable wide open (

horribly sooooooooooooooft) Please Help!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did manage to open my copy accidently in the past as well - an indication that the focus adjustments tightening ring is loose, if I remember it right.

First: do not worry too much. Other than the silly way to lock the focus adjustment, this lens is rather logically constructed and not too difficult to understand. Relax and take a few deep breaths.

Open the back of the lens too - three screwes in the back of the mount. You need to remove the "legs" (each held by two screws), I think. It's been a while I opened the lens, but I am pretty sure the legs must be removed before reassembly. Somewhere is also a small screw that can be removed to adjust the optical formula (ie. to destroy it, or to return it to proper settings), but I just can't see it from these shots, nor remember much about it.

Oh, also you need to oen the front part a bit more as well - the advertisement ring ("Flektogon" text etc.) needs to go, and below it, deep between the lens unit and the barrel you will see a infinity focus tightening ring. Rememer that when you (re)adjust the focus, if you need to. That needs to be loosened (not much, just a bit) for this adjustment.

Sorry if I am not too clear here, but it has been a while since I opened my copy. If you search this site, I am sure you will find pictrures about this lens being opened and put back together. I may have posted some myself, can't remember if that's the case though Sad

Anyhow, before you start to open the lens more, take your camera, and do what you have done nicely now - take pictures. When ever you remove something, take a picture or two so you know what you have done without havng to rely on memory.

Also, when you remove parts, place them somewhere in the same order you removed them to make it easier to rebuild the lens in proper order.

Hopefully someone else will give you more detailed help as my 20 works like charm now and I don't really want to refresh my memory by opening it up Wink

And hopefully you'll manage to fix this lens - it is a stunning performer wide open!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anu wrote:
I did manage to open my copy accidently in the past as well - an indication that the focus adjustments tightening ring is loose, if I remember it right.

First: do not worry too much. Other than the silly way to lock the focus adjustment, this lens is rather logically constructed and not too difficult to understand. Relax and take a few deep breaths.

Open the back of the lens too - three screwes in the back of the mount. You need to remove the "legs" (each held by two screws), I think. It's been a while I opened the lens, but I am pretty sure the legs must be removed before reassembly. Somewhere is also a small screw that can be removed to adjust the optical formula (ie. to destroy it, or to return it to proper settings), but I just can't see it from these shots, nor remember much about it.

Oh, also you need to oen the front part a bit more as well - the advertisement ring ("Flektogon" text etc.) needs to go, and below it, deep between the lens unit and the barrel you will see a infinity focus tightening ring. Rememer that when you (re)adjust the focus, if you need to. That needs to be loosened (not much, just a bit) for this adjustment.

Sorry if I am not too clear here, but it has been a while since I opened my copy. If you search this site, I am sure you will find pictrures about this lens being opened and put back together. I may have posted some myself, can't remember if that's the case though Sad

Anyhow, before you start to open the lens more, take your camera, and do what you have done nicely now - take pictures. When ever you remove something, take a picture or two so you know what you have done without havng to rely on memory.

Also, when you remove parts, place them somewhere in the same order you removed them to make it easier to rebuild the lens in proper order.

Hopefully someone else will give you more detailed help as my 20 works like charm now and I don't really want to refresh my memory by opening it up Wink

And hopefully you'll manage to fix this lens - it is a stunning performer wide open!

Anu thank you very much ! I am glad you answered ! Very Happy I found your post , and I think that I will try to fix it myself .
My copy was shurely opened and not properly put back by the previous owner ( I bought it on ebay) .Apart of being dismanteled it has 2 problems :
-very soft wide opened Crying or Very sad
-achieves focus at infinity at 2.5m mark on the focusing ring

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/czj-20-2-8-flektogon-dissected-t27106,highlight,filter+ring.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For unscrewing the clamping ring ( is it the middle one ,just near the filter ring ?) I must use a spanning wrench ?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
For unscrewing the clamping ring ( is it the middle one ,just near the filter ring ?) I must use a spanning wrench ?

The clamping ring is buried deep down in the gap between the lens and the filter ring, it's very difficult to see. It isn't the ring you can see plainly round the edge of the lens.

The clamping ring is most likely loose already, that's why the lens has separated into two sections. You can loosen it even more using the filter ring but you will definitely need a lens spanner to clamp it tight again when infinity focus has been adjusted. I'm still waiting for my spanner from our member alex so I haven't been able to tighten my lens yet. Crying or Very sad I think you'll need the type with cranked arms and long blades in order to get down into the gap.

PS: ALWAYS remember to mount and unmount this lens by gripping the focus ring, never grip the filter ring.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's under the ring that is marked Flektogon 20mm etc ? I have to remove this ?
I have to order a spanner on the bay I suppose , or if you can give a better way , shoot Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: I have exactly the same problem with my 20mm f/2.8 Flektogon I bought last week. I got inffinity back by gripping the front lens ring and turning it until everything was in focus but of course now I need to fasten the infinity setting. I'll try to remove the lens information ring and see how to continue fastening.

(BTW: I have several lens spanners)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
it's under the ring that is marked Flektogon 20mm etc ? I have to remove this ?
I have to order a spanner on the bay I suppose , or if you can give a better way , shoot Laughing

Yes, please look at the pictures in the link I posted.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , I have to buy some tools first. I 'll let you know what I've done .
Spotmatic , sorry to hear that your new Flek did such a bad joke to you too! Please feel free to post here how did you succeed if you want so.
Anu and peterqd thank you for the help !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
FYI: I have exactly the same problem with my 20mm f/2.8 Flektogon I bought last week. I got inffinity back by gripping the front lens ring and turning it until everything was in focus but of course now I need to fasten the infinity setting. I'll try to remove the lens information ring and see how to continue fastening.

Peter, if you manage to tighten the ring, would please post a picture of the tool you used so I know what to buy? That would be great, thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

Peter, if you manage to tighten the ring, would please post a picture of the tool you used so I know what to buy? That would be great, thanks.

Yep, me too !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's a bit too late now but I'll do it tomorrow and will also post pictures of each step. Hopefulloy it's easy indeed Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately my rubber rings to remove the lens information ring are either too large or too small, so I cannot continue with the disassembling. I hope to find a suitable piece of rubber soon!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, try this. Find a lid of a jam jar or similar which just fits inside the filter ring. Put a latex glove over the lens ring and press and turn it with the lid. It worked for me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the rubber plug trick...buy a larger one and you can trim it down to size.. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well , first success for now Very Happy : I managed to put it back , i learned how to open it and how to close it !!! now it's ok .Of course, I did not managed to set the infinity focus , but I don't have yet any spanner and no way to open the information ring.
Only a little ball remained out the first , under the aperture ring is on its place.I don't know shure but I belive it is also from the aperture ring.
I think I have to write ....TO BE CONTINUATED !!!! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Mir 10A Reply with quote

Just sitting here with my Mir 10A (flektogon) 28mm f3.5 in hand sort of hoping it might be similar to it's distant cousin. But there is not way this little urchin will screw apart into two pieces short of a vyce and multigrips which hardly could be recommended. Maybe something is jamming it or there are lock screws.

But then there are no lock rings whatsoever inside the front filter which seems fixed by three small screws in the outside of the front bell housing.

Obviously of a different construction type.