Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

4 lenses that may have to go.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: 4 lenses that may have to go. Reply with quote

Hi,I have the following lenses that I know very little about,all in mint condition.If anyone has used any of these I would appreciate your comments as to how good/bad they are and if possible average worth.Thanks.
Meyer Oreston 50mm f1.8
Pentaflex Auto Color 50mm f1.8
Porst Weitwinkel(wide angle)35mm f3.5
Asanuma Auto-wide 28mm f2.8

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watch eBay similar lenses for sale when I have ones I want to sell. I do that for a few weeks prior to selling to see what similar lenses are going for. I recently bid on a 35mm Porst m42 lens. I think I bid up to $35, but did not win.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: 4lenses Reply with quote

Thanks David but am more interested in anyone who has experience using these lenses.Regards.PS if you are interested make me an offer it is in mint condition with both caps & I can probably find a case,

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meyer Oreston - decent 50 I thought; Voytek got mine and he seems to like it even more. He is big on bokeh, I often don't notice.

Pentaflex seems to have been a brand under which Praktica-Pentacon cameras were sold. Its probably another Meyer.

Asanuma Auto-Wide - Most Asanuma lenses seem to be Tokinas. The "Auto-wide" is another indicator; early Tokina auto lenses were labelled tele-auto or auto-wide or wide-auto. If it is an early auto Tokina its a pretty decent lens, nothing exciting.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meyer Oreston is not bad, with its more recent name Pentacon is widely available at low prices. Value (look at closed auctions on Ebay) is around 15-40€ but depends on mount: on the higher side if it is M42, on the lower bayonet.
Pentaflex should be the same lens: are they visually similar?
Finally, Porst and Asanuma are rebranded lenses produced by others. I do not know their quality, but often they can be bought for few money. Again, mount makes some difference.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: 4 lenses that may have to go. Reply with quote

Thanks enzodm,silly me forgot to say all are M42 and yes Meyer and Pentaflex are similar.Thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreston is a good lens, I like mine a lot. The Penaflex, as people say, will be similar, I have the later Pentacon 1.8/50 as well and it's as good as the Oreston but much poorer build quality, aperture on mine has stuck open, a common problem.

The Porst Weitwinkel is probably also a Meyer/Pentacon lens, might be similar to the Meyer Primagon I have.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: 4 lenses that may have to go. Reply with quote

Thanks Ian, I prefer the Meyer lenses to Pentacon I have a 250mm f5.5 I wouldn't say its stunning but with that polished aluminum in mint condition it sure looks nice mounted on camera and gets a lot of stares when out shooting.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Meyer Oreston. I overpaid US$45 a couple years ago but don't regret it. (I was in a Meyer-buying frenzy back then, and I actually had some money!) Day after tomorrow, it is scheduled to be my lens-of-the-day. The Pentaflex Color is probably the same lens. I have the Pentacon Electric, with no aperture problems, and a few months ago it only cost me US$11. Both mine are M42, auto-only.

The Oreston might attract some good bids. The Pentaflex probably won't.

I bought a Porst Weitwinkel 35/2.8 a couple years ago, overpaying US$27, and have barely used it. It needs to go on my lens-of-the-day schedule. I have a note on mine that it's made by Tokina, but I can't be sure of that. My only other lens with a similar serial number (79xxxx) is a Makinon 28/2.8 and I have no idea of its maker. Neither seems anything like a Meyer lens.

Is the Porst like a Meyer Primagon? My Primagon (alu, Exakta mount) is 35/4.5, much slower, and definitely no resemblance. How many 35mm Primagons did Meyer make?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
I really like the Meyer Oreston. I overpaid US$45 a couple years ago but don't regret it. (I was in a Meyer-buying frenzy back then, and I actually had some money!) Day after tomorrow, it is scheduled to be my lens-of-the-day. The Pentaflex Color is probably the same lens. I have the Pentacon Electric, with no aperture problems, and a few months ago it only cost me US$11. Both mine are M42, auto-only.

The Oreston might attract some good bids. The Pentaflex probably won't.

I bought a Porst Weitwinkel 35/2.8 a couple years ago, overpaying US$27, and have barely used it. It needs to go on my lens-of-the-day schedule. I have a note on mine that it's made by Tokina, but I can't be sure of that. My only other lens with a similar serial number (79xxxx) is a Makinon 28/2.8 and I have no idea of its maker. Neither seems anything like a Meyer lens.

Is the Porst like a Meyer Primagon? My Primagon (alu, Exakta mount) is 35/4.5, much slower, and definitely no resemblance. How many 35mm Primagons did Meyer make?

Only reason I thought of Meyer as the maker of the Porst is the Weitwinkel name, seens it on the list of Meyer lenses.

In the last years of DDR lens production there seem to have been some Pentacon lenses branded as Carl Zeiss Jena P, they look exactly the same as the Pentacon Electric PB mount lenses and are also in PB mount but have Carl Zeiss Jena P inscribed on them instead of Pentacon, I've seen a few on ebay, the 2.8/28 I've seen mostly and it looks identical to my Pentacon 2.8/28, both in PB mount.

P.S. let me know what day you are using your Oreston and I'll use mine the same day so we can compare...

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Only reason I thought of Meyer as the maker of the Porst is the Weitwinkel name, seens it on the list of Meyer lenses.

In German "weitwinkel" means wide angle, and Porst was a german brand, so could be just a generic name. Looking around, apart that seems good, it could be made by Tokina or Enna.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

i had Porst automatic-weitwinkel 35mm/2.8, and although the name was written in german ,the lens was made in Korea (samyang?)
sold it recently