Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 105/2.8 vs Topcor RE 100/2.8 vs Minolta MC 100/2.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:16 am    Post subject: Soligor 105/2.8 vs Topcor RE 100/2.8 vs Minolta MC 100/2.5 Reply with quote

Here a comparison between three lenses:
1) Soligor 105mm f/2.8 (Sun version)
2) Topcor RE 100mm f/2.8
3) Minolta MC 100mm f/2.5 (last version so with MD optical scheme)

Comparisonwideopenflat by devoscasper, on Flickr

Comparisonf4flat by devoscasper, on Flickr

Comparisonf56flat by devoscasper, on Flickr

Comparisonf8flat by devoscasper, on Flickr

Conclusions:
Best sharpness wide open: Topcor and Minolta. Topcor's contrast seems best. Soligor is soft.
Best sharpness at f/4: Minolta. Soligor not soft anymore, and looks even slightly better than Topcor.
Sharpness at f/5.6 and f/8: Minolta and Soligor comparable. Topcor stays a bit behind.

Real life implications: Minolta the best alround lens of the bunch IMO: very good performance at different apertures. Corners of this lens are also best. As a portrait lens, the Topcor may have the edge because of slightly better contrast. For close subjects / smaller apertures I might choose the Soligor because of slightly nicer bokeh highlights (8 blades). It's a bit too soft for my taste wide open though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

Interesting comparison, thanks!

I only have personal experience with the Minolta 100/2.5, which has a very good reputation amongst Minolta Rokkor users. I can say that it is rather sensitive to flare if you get the sun anywhere near the frame, so a good deep hood is a must for this lens (the use of which also significantly increases contrast in general with this lens.)

The original dedicated metal screw-in hoods tend to be pricy; the latest (MDIII) version has a double-section built-in telescopic hood.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Like 1

Interesting comparison, thanks!

I only have personal experience with the Minolta 100/2.5, which has a very good reputation amongst Minolta Rokkor users. I can say that it is rather sensitive to flare if you get the sun anywhere near the frame, so a good deep hood is a must for this lens (the use of which also significantly increases contrast in general with this lens.)

The original dedicated metal screw-in hoods tend to be pricy; the latest (MDIII) version has a double-section built-in telescopic hood.

Yup, I've had the MDIII as well, but finally settled with an earlier type which feels better in my hand.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good OEM lenses rarely show any differences when it comes to center resolution. High speed lenses (f1.2 or f1.4) may be an exception though, and so are older lenses (let's say before 1960). That's why I usually publish only the corner performance ... Some wideanges however do have an inferior performance also at the image borders.

S

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta looks eyehurtingly sharp WO, but Soligor catches up impressively, once closed down.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Minolta looks eyehurtingly sharp WO, but Soligor catches up impressively, once closed down.

From the limited experience I have with the Soligor, it seems the softness occurs mainly at close focusung distance wide open.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it amazing how Sun lenses step progressively away from the bad fame of allover terrible glass they had still 5 years ago. This is one of the great advantages of this forum which is especially open to experimenting and helps the accumulation of more precise knowledge.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minolta is my most used lens by a huge margin, it's so good on my Sony's whether full frame or crop, I love it.

And the Soligor / Sun is up there with my most used M42 lenses of any focal length. Considering it's age and the fact it was a budget lens back in the day it is an extraordinary lens

I have no Topcor lenses, but if this 100 / 2.8 turns up I shall buy it.

Very interesting comparison, three very different lenses that most people would group together. I like that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could we please have a picture of the lenses? Mostly to identify the Soligor. Thanks!

Eyehurtingly sharp? Whoo Turtle That's a new level of sharpness! Thank You Dog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
Could we please have a picture of the lenses? Mostly to identify the Soligor. Thanks!

Eyehurtingly sharp? Whoo Turtle That's a new level of sharpness! Thank You Dog

This is the Soligor: https://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_2674.html#

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as usual the biggest difference is wide open. One might argue the lower contrast and softer rendering of the Soligor is very good for portraiture.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
The Minolta is my most used lens by a huge margin, it's so good on my Sony's whether full frame or crop, I love it.

And the Soligor / Sun is up there with my most used M42 lenses of any focal length. Considering it's age and the fact it was a budget lens back in the day it is an extraordinary lens

I have no Topcor lenses, but if this 100 / 2.8 turns up I shall buy it.

Very interesting comparison, three very different lenses that most people would group together. I like that.

I have four Topcor RE lenses - 1.8/58, 2.8/35, 2.8/135 and 5.6/200 and they are all excellent, so always well worth grabbing any you see. I recently got a rather sexy second copy of the 135 in black, much rarer than the silver version I already had, works wonderfully well on my a850.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still favor the Topcor for the steep fall off that makes the background softer than expected when compared to other lenses in that range. That along with how small and light it is. Very easy to carry for such optical performance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
I still favor the Topcor for the steep fall off that makes the background softer than expected when compared to other lenses in that range. That along with how small and light it is. Very easy to carry for such optical performance.

Yeah it's a lovely lens. Results always look great and build quality is quite exquisite too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Soligor 105/2.8 vs Topcor RE 100/2.8 vs Minolta MC 100/2 Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

Real life implications: Minolta the best alround lens of the bunch IMO: very good performance at different apertures. Corners of this lens are also best. As a portrait lens, the Topcor may have the edge because of slightly better contrast. For close subjects / smaller apertures I might choose the Soligor because of slightly nicer bokeh highlights (8 blades). It's a bit too soft for my taste wide open though.

Is this Soligor|Sun related to Tokina by any chance? I have a Tokina 100mm f/2.8 and in the exterior it has some common traits with a Soligor 28mm that was sertainly made by Tokina.

Last edited by Manichaean on Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Soligor 105/2.8 vs Topcor RE 100/2.8 vs Minolta MC 100/2 Reply with quote

Manichaean wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Is this Soligor|Sun related to Tokina by any chance? I have a Tokina 100mm f/2.8 and in the exterior it has some common traits with a Soligor 28mm that was surtainly made by Tokina.

I believe there are different versions of the Soligor 105/2.8, one of them being Tokina made, and another one being made by Sun. AFAIK not related.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:

Typical Sonnar properties Wink

http://www.artaphot.ch/topcon-re/re-auto-topcor-lenses/485-re-auto-topcor-100mm-f28

S

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
cbass wrote:

Typical Sonnar properties Wink

http://www.artaphot.ch/topcon-re/re-auto-topcor-lenses/485-re-auto-topcor-100mm-f28

S

I have a type so to speak. If it’s a sonnar or ultron design chances are that I will like it. Still Topcor is
more than just Sonnar or not. All their lenses perform very well wide open. Most are light and compact. All of them have excellent colors and contrast throughout the aperture range. It’s the sum of all parts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always loved the 100/2.8 when my Topcon system was my primary user. (Although I love the 85/1.8 more!)

The old Camera:35 review notes that it does have field curvature, indeed that's pretty common to most of the Topcor lenses. Tradeoff they made for sharpness.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Topcors have a distinct look compared to many contemporaries, they must have made different tradeoffs .

As for Sonnars, they aren't associated with small size, not with that big block of glass in the middle.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Tak 105 2.8 and QBM Zeiss Sonnar 85 come to my mind as really compact Sonnars.
P6 180mm Sonnar sits on the opposite side of this. Being a huge beast.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pabeu wrote:
Super Tak 105 2.8 and QBM Zeiss Sonnar 85 come to my mind as really compact Sonnars.
P6 180mm Sonnar sits on the opposite side of this. Being a huge beast.

Cheers.

I don't know if that can really be called a Sonnar, but for compactness look at the original preset version. Here next to the Super-Takumar.

diagram:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an image with the Takumar (preset) 105mm 1:2.8

Sad kitty by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Shriver wrote:
Always loved the 100/2.8 when my Topcon system was my primary user. (Although I love the 85/1.8 more!)

The old Camera:35 review notes that it does have field curvature, indeed that's pretty common to most of the Topcor lenses. Tradeoff they made for sharpness.

What review is that, do you have a link?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Shriver wrote:

I have not measured them for curvature, but I will take your word for it as you have to make a tradeoff somewhere. Most older lenses have some curvature. Still even with curvature most of their lenses were corner to corner sharp from f/8-f/11 for landscape use. So the curvature was not so extreme as not to be overcome by DOF. The lenses they delivered could be used for almost any type of photography if set to the correct aperture. They were compact and light. They were sharp wide open with high contrast in the center. They were pretty flare resistant. They were sharp corner to corner stopped down to f/8-f/11 for landscape. Very well-balanced designs.