Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44-2 on Sony a850
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Helios 44-2 on Sony a850 Reply with quote

A good copy of the Helios remains probably the best bargain you can find in 'normal' lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian that looks a lovely copy,
I do like russian lenses, and the sensor on the 850 is still a great sensor, with film quality

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the best copy I've had, and I must have had a dozen. Might be down to condition as this one looked unused, like it was brand new.

I love the a850, no electronic viewfinder I have seen is a substitute for a big, clear optical one, so if my a850 ever dies, I shall get another one, or an a900.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys. Here's some stitched shots I took at the same time, this is the estuary at the end of Duddon Valley, the view is wonderful on a clear day, you can see several of the Cumbrian mountains - Coniston Old Man, Helvellyn, I forget the others. Shot handheld and stitched using Hugin. The first two are a bit soft as I set focus using the dof scale on the lens, and clearly it's not accurate.

#8 Shot wide open, note the stitching error on the side of the boat that makes it look blurry.

#10 The mountain in the center half covered in cloud is Coniston Old Man,

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 44-2 is indeed a beautiful lens

I have several Helios 44 lenses and they all take amazing photos.

Thanks for sharing Ian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used a 44-2 in a long time, that has to change, it's a wonderful lens. Great images Ian, your pano's are always good.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys. I myself haven't used a Helios 44 for a a few years, so many lenses, it gets overlooked, but I found it while tidying up the other day and it was like meeting an old friend. It's not my favourite 'normal' lens, but it's one of my favourites, if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

number 5 is great
Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

I really like the boat pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb shots Ian...I have 6 all different and with an Helicoid become superb macro.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. I only kept this one and a much later 44M-7, I'll have to try it for macro, I have a suitable helicoid sat on my desk, thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Superb shots Ian...I have 6 all different and with an Helicoid become superb macro.

Indeed, the Helios 44 has very low distortion (see image below), a correction that is mandatory for a good macro lens.

from: https://www.vision-doctor.com/images/stories/optik/fehler/distortion_barrel_pincushion_lens.png

In fact, except for low distortion, almost all Gauss-type lenses qualify as a macro lens because the symmetrical optical construction practically supresses lateral CA, another aberration which must be very well corrected in macro lenses.
An indirect proof that a normal Gauss-type lens can perform very well as a macro lens is that Pentacon and Carl Zeiss Jena never made (*) dedicated macro lenses for the Praktica and Pentacon Six cameras.

(*) To be fair, CZJ made a 50 mm F2.8 Tessar lens without helicoid to be mounted on a bellows for high magnification macro. However, I never heard of a long helical CZJ or Pentacon macro lens as it became fashionable in the Japanese photography industry from the 70's.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tessar type has been far more widely used for macro designs than double gauss and many of the finest macro lenses ever made are Tessars - the Nikkor 3.5/55, the Zeiss Luminar 4/40 and the Leitz Photar 4/50 spring to mind.

CZJ did indeed make a dedicated macro lens - the Prakticar 2.8/55, which I think is a Tessar type.

The common CZJ Tessar 2.8/50 makes a better macro lens on bellows or tubes than the CZJ Pancolar 1.8/50.

I think it's because the Tessar design works well over a wide range of distances and magnifications, whereas a double gauss type needs to be optimised for macro work.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Panagor 90mm 2.8 Macro is double gauss (made by Komine).

Screenshot from booklet
Panagor 90mm 1:2.8 schematics by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, there was indeed a CZJ Macro-Prakticar 55 mm F2.8 for Prakita B, but I believe it was a lens launched when the East German photography industry was in its final days. A kind of "swan song" by Carl Zeiss Jena ...

Without a doubt, many macro and enlarger lenses from the past used a Tessar design, especially if the maximum aperture was limited to F3.5 or F4. However, most modern high-performance macro lenses use a 5- or 6-element are Double-Gauss. This is the case of the aforementioned CZJ-Prakticar 55mm F2.8, both Micro-Nikkor 55mm F3.5 and F2.8, the Zeiss Makro-Planar 60mm F2.8 for Contax-Yashica, etc.

CZJ Macro-Prakticar 55mm F2.8:

from: https://allphotolenses.com/public/files/optical/2ff9cb7028c4d0ea22d925e2da548b0d.jpg

Micro Nikkor 55mm F3.5 and F2.8:

Zeiss Makro-Planar 60mm F2.8:

from: https://www.contaxcameras.co.uk/_html/assets/slr/slrmanlenses/a-makroplanar60mmf2.8.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a7ii Helios 44-2 short Helicoid WO.

/Users/chrisshaw/Desktop/_DSC5021 copy-Edit-studio.jpeg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Hope you are well Chris. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot, I still haven't tried the Helios for macro, I've got several other photo projects on the go at the moment, soon to be revealed, hopefully. Spoiler: one includes lasers, exotic lenses modified & repurposed and some fancy electronics. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ed,turned 80 in Feb and feel very fortunate I have no health problems.