Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Asahi Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Asahi Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 M42 Reply with quote

Many people, even the experienced ones, usually state that 50mm f/1.4 lenses, when used wide open, are "soft". To me this means two things: those users lack the necessary skills and technique to use a f/1.4 lens wide open, or the lens that was used is a dud.

Believe me: most quality 50mm f/1.4 lenses are VERY sharp at the plane of focus. Proof: here's a series, wide open in my garden, with a "lowly" 50mm f/1.4 Super-Takumar which I have cleaned of some serious fungus.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. 2 looks very sharp
its no wonder from all i have seen here and other place the takumar 50mm f1.4 is a top lens .
I have only a 50mm f 1.4 lens the cz plannar and until i used it with the 40D witch has live view i was not happy with it afterwards i got hook t Very Happy

regards
Catalin

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter oh yeah, I see you using the 1.4/50 Tak!!! beautifullll
you know how much I love my 1.4/50 Takumar, and I use it wide open many times and consider it sharp there too..but when you use it, it simply is even sharper Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful results. Nice lense indeed. I have one also and like it very much.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite 50's.

Well presentations Peter Wink

(The king of short DOF) Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice images.

I have a SMC one. Beauty lens, I love it.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good samples and great work restoring the lens.

I have the S-M-C version and now a pre AI Nikkor. As you have shown above, they are acceptable wide open, they have shallow DOF and pleasing bokeh and at web/small print size they look sharp enough. I don't think anyone would be blown away by their sharpness.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice comments! I think I'll post some 100% crops tonight.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 100% crop of #2. As you can see the plane of focus is slightly behind the subject, but it's very sharp there. Look at the "hairs".

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more with this combination (Pentax *ist DL and 50mm f/1.4 Super-Takumar).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont mess with me!!! by abhiraay, on Flickr

Just love this lens

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - he is a real tough guy!
I looked at your flicker images and they are very nice also.
I think that Didi.......Sis looks tougher!
A very nice lens - I must post some images as well.
Thanks for sharing
OH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks oldhand!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing but the picture of my sister is taken with Super takumar 55/1.8 ,another great lens which would have had more prominence if there was no 50/1.4,nonetheless its another of my favourite takumar lens. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pretty amazing lens, it has to be said. This pic had no PP except a tiny crop and some exposure tweak:

Although I played a bit with this pic Smile