Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

miranda worth making an adaptor ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: miranda worth making an adaptor ? Reply with quote

Hi,

i bought a miranda 35mm 3.5, and it seems there is no know adapter for this
, any people familiar whit miranda lenses ? (its an 44mm screw tread)

would i be worth making one ? are they any good ? ( only thing i know that its pretty :p )

thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a variant of this -

http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-fujita-3-5-35-early-retrofocus-t23920,highlight,%2Bretrofocus.html

I'm guessing that its sharp enough at the center but poor at the corners.

It would be of collectors interest only I think.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read down the comments on the thread I posted, the maker of your lens was apparently Sun. Member Mo found an almost identical piece branded as Sun - identical to mine ins style, but a much smaller front element.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

so its made by sun ,but branded as miranda (there is miranda written on it) .

yeah, the more i read and learn the more im getting confused Razz

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The practice at the time, and often also today, was for lens makers to sell their products through distributors who put their names on the lens. We still have Vivitar for instance.

In the 1950's-1980's there were hundreds of brand names, even many camera stores had their own house brand. Some brands only existed on one batch of lenses, etc.

Some camera companies also acted as distributors and put their names on lenses made by another. This was normally done by the smaller camera companies but some of the big ones did it too, more rarely.

Miranda made cameras, not lenses, so as far as I know every Miranda lens was contracted from some other Japanese company. To confuse matters, Miranda was purchased in the late 1950's by the US distributor Allied Impex, owners of the Soligor brand. So you will see Soligor-Miranda on some.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria,

There's nothing unusual or dodgy about this practice, in fact it's the normal practice since the beginning of photography. Camera making and lens making were two separate industries: but a camera maker might want to offer lenses bearing its own brand, and vice versa. A distributor or retailer might want to sell products under its own brand as well.

Nowadays, people think that a lens "made by the camera manufacturer" must be better, and a camera manufacturer unable to make lenses must be much "lesser". But see how Linhof, Hasselblad and others who carry on using this old practice, and it certainly makes this idea a bit of a fallacy.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh certainly, there is nothing dodgy about it at all.

Lenses have been relabelled since at least the early 20th century, and camera makers have been equipping their cameras with third party lenses for even longer. I have a Rapid Rectilinear made by Bausch&Lomb that went on a Kodak ca 1899.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: miranda worth making an adaptor ? Reply with quote

KarelDH wrote:
Hi,

i bought a miranda 35mm 3.5, and it seems there is no know adapter for this
, any people familiar whit miranda lenses ? (its an 44mm screw tread)

would i be worth making one ? are they any good ? ( only thing i know that its pretty :p )

thanks.

Adapter does not exist and will certainly never exist

Miranda mount flange beeing very narrow, an adapter for 24x36 would never focus to infinity (except if you modify one with lens included : ie : om/minolta-sony af)
The only solution to keep infity would be to adapt an adapter for 4/3 or nex lens ..
with a t2/44mm body miranda mount (for bellow) (very very hard to find)
or with a miranda 44/bayonet mount + miranda body cap

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall looking for a 42-44mm step ring and finding exactly zero. 42-43mm, yes. 42-44mm, no. I needed one, and I still do, and some other lenses sit unadapted because if its absence. The Miranda register is 41.5; thus, without surgery, such a lens can only focus to infinity on short-register cameras. Bother.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a miranda m44 t2 mount if it's of use to anyone pm me .

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Till I know, the Miranda-soligor lenses for SRL, were
2,8/25, 2,8/28, 2,8/35, 1,4/50, 1,8/50, 1,9/50, 2,8/105, 2,8/135, 3,5/135 and some macro 2,8-3,5/52-55 mm.

I used the 105 and the 3,5/135. Average lenses.

Lower IQ than the Hexanons that I used at the moment.

Rino.