Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Flektogon 50mm - bent filter thread
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Flektogon 50mm - bent filter thread Reply with quote

Is there any safe way to repair that bent filter ring? It looks like this:

It's impossible to mount a filter or shade on it, and the ring seems pretty thick and tough Razz.

And the second thing: how can I remove the front element to clean some fogging inside? The front ring doesn't look like it can be removed with any wrench Sad.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that Flek has led a hard life. I know of filter wrenches that work by pushing up against the other side. Not a lot have good luck with those and I'm not sure if they make them big enough to span across the flek's big front element. The best way is to place the damaged area into a correctly curved block and carefully bang it out so it fits the shape again.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any skilled repairman is usually pretty good at removing dents from filter rings. I wouldn't want to suggest trying it without the right tools, but perhaps a hardwood dowel of the appropriate size might work, where you tap lightly on the dowel while holding the lens down against a wooden plank or something similar. As for the removal of the front element, usually a rubber stopper of the right size will provide you with the grip you need to unscrew that front bezel. If I'm not mistaken, Attila sells them.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, just sent it to a repairman, I tried to bang it with a small hammer and a piece of wood but it's too thick Very Happy.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did fix my flektogon 35 with an adjustable wrench without harming it applying force very gently, now it takes filters again.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zomg...who's unleashed wrath on this one Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
...perhaps a hardwood dowel of the appropriate size might work, where you tap lightly on the dowel while holding the lens down against a wooden plank or something similar.

I have done this with a couple lenses with badly dented threads and thick metal, most notably (and successfully) on an M42 Sears-Tomioka 55/1.4. Just a bit of patient tapping did the trick,