Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens or sensor?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Lens or sensor? Reply with quote

We often talk about the colour rendition of a certain lens.
In the times of digital cams, I wonder to what extent the lens is responsible for a particular colour cast or a typical character and to what extent the sensor is influencing this.

With film you also have diverging "personalities", a Velvia looks different from a Kodak Gold. But after a while you know the film and if you see a photo by somebody else and you know the film, you can judge the lens.
But you do not know about the white balance of a digital cam that the person has used.

When I shoot, I often use AWB of my Canon. The lenses I like - esp. the Nikkors, strangely enough - produce IMHO perfect results without any post production.

But if I want to "test" and "learn about" a lens' character, I try to use the right WB, so "daylight" for a daylight shot. Wink
Of course, you have to be quick, since outside the colour temperature can change in an instant. The best way would be to measure with a grey card for each lens shortly before shooting - but what a hassle!

What do you think about that?