Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50/1.8 Reply with quote

I've had this lens for about a year and never really got to use it much until this weekend.
Found out its amazingly sharp and focuses really close for being a non macro 50mm.

I've got the zebra version.

Full image, around f/2.8 i guess

Crop, look at those hairs!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great and neat sample!. I love the Pancolar, (even over the Planars, that are considered better) and have both versions, (zebra and black) and couldn't tell what is better Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old pancolar zebra was 6/4. The newer was, like the black version, 6/5.

Over the years had a lot of them. Very good lenses but i found them less sharp than the s-m-c 1,4/50 tak or the MC ROKKOR PG 1,4/50 or the canon 1,4/50

Anyways, very good details

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juan, what do you mean by older and newer?
I have some of the black ones (white meter and green feet scale) but want to buy some of the zebra version.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older and newer zebra pancolar. The first - older ones- had 6/4 firmula, and the newer zebra had 6/5 scheme.

Afik, all the black versions are 6/5.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50/1.8 Reply with quote

ckrook wrote:
I've had this lens for about a year and never really got to use it much until this weekend.
Found out its amazingly sharp and focuses really close for being a non macro 50mm.

I've got the zebra version.

Full image, around f/2.8 i guess

Crop, look at those hairs!

It's weird I notice that your photos show nice smooth dof instead of a swirly bokeh.
However I've seen some samples of this lens that's swirly such as Simeon's photos.
I wonder which version does render the swirly bokeh and which doesn't? Or is it different copy-wise?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50/1.8 Reply with quote

[quote="bruzzo"]
ckrook wrote:

It's weird I notice that your photos show nice smooth dof instead of a swirly bokeh.
However I've seen some samples of this lens that's swirly such as Simeon's photos.
I wonder which version does render the swirly bokeh and which doesn't? Or is it different copy-wise?

I have 3 1.8/50mm Pancolar lenses, one in Zebra and two other ones from the late 80ies. None of them ever showed a swirly bokeh, all the time this softish, creamy style.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50/1.8 Reply with quote

[quote="Miles Teg"]
bruzzo wrote:
ckrook wrote:

I have 3 1.8/50mm Pancolar lenses, one in Zebra and two other ones from the late 80ies. None of them ever showed a swirly bokeh, all the time this softish, creamy style.

I think this is the thread where this topic has been discussed slightly about the curved bokeh/swirl oof on the Pancolar.
http://forum.mflenses.com/pentacon-50-1-8-mc-vs-pancolar-50-1-8-mc-vs-zenitar-m-50-1-7-t48120.html