Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

4 from Budapest
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: 4 from Budapest Reply with quote

Four pictures I took in Budapest last August.

Pancolar 1.8/50, Bessie, Agfa slide, BW in Photoshop:

Pancolar 1.8/50, Bessie, Agfa slide, BW in Photoshop:

Rollei Sonnar 2.8/85, Bessie, Agfa slide, BW in Photoshop:

Rollei Sonnar 2.8/85, Bessie, Agfa slide, BW in Photoshop:

-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bessie and Sonnar lens is a great combo! I like the second shot of
Monica, and the one right after it, the column and arch study. Orio, do
you like the Bessie? And are these your own scans?

Bill

Edit: The Pancolar lens is purty good, too! Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fourth image, of the column with the people out of focus, is REALLY fine! I love the interpretation, with the column so sharp. It gives credence to the "importance" of the architecture, with the people being only incidental to the scene. Beautiful!

Let's see more! I love the sharing of images.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Orio, do
you like the Bessie?

Yes, because of the viewfinder. I have many M42 lenses and so far could never focus them really well, because I had only old and dusty Prakticas.
With the Bessie, I have a large, bright and totally clean viewfinder. Manual focusing is a joy with the Bessie and I would recommend it just for that.

Another bonus is that it's light meter is very accurate.

Quote:
And are these your own scans?

yes

Katastrofo wrote:
Edit: The Pancolar lens is purty good, too! Wink

And consider that I left these two shots unsharpened, because if I did sharpen them, it wwould have been too much for a portrait.
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
The fourth image, of the column with the people out of focus, is REALLY fine! I love the interpretation, with the column so sharp. It gives credence to the "importance" of the architecture, with the people being only incidental to the scene. Beautiful!
Let's see more! I love the sharing of images.

Thanks Laurence. That was precisely my purpose, I wanted to make the crowd anonymous, you read into the shot very well.

I personally am very happy of shot #3.
Reading the light was very difficult, I was on film, so no histogram etc., and I did not have a hand meter either. So my experience went in measuring that. It turned out absolutely perfect.

-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote: I personally am very happy of shot #3.
Reading the light was very difficult, I was on film, so no histogram etc., and I did not have a hand meter either. So my experience went in measuring that. It turned out absolutely perfect.

With the revelation that you used no meter, this is a fabulous outcome. With slide film there are no compromises!

There are many variables to consider here, with the range of light values being almost stultifying. You are correct in saying it came out perfect. The light areas did not wash out, yet you preserved the shadow detail.

An exceptional image, actually. One needs to only look at the area at the top of the column and see the fine detail. The image truly was a great candidate for B&W conversion, and you did it justice.

You should consider a print from something like this - perhaps a nice 5x7 with a large white matting and thin black frame...to sit on a desk somewhere as a classic accessory.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like 2# portrait the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favs are #2 (what a nice smile!) and #3 (excellent light-shadow-play!).
But #4 is also excellent. It is an atypical photo, one that you do not see often- and that's what I like!

On second thought, you know what? The blurred area (with the people in #4) makes this picture timeless. Since you cannot see the clothing, it could have been taken in the 50s as well as yesterday! I really like that!

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent all of them, but no. 3 is my fave. I like the way the light makes the picture come alive (well almost).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #2 & #4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 and 3 for me Orio. Your usual high standard and in B+W too!

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great... 2 especially. A very natural looking portrait.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, the sonnar pictures are one of the best I saw in the last time. And I'm not saying this because I had a relationship with this lens. Fine art. Very Happy

Michael