Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Revuenon 50 1.4 MC PK mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Revuenon 50 1.4 MC PK mount Reply with quote

Anyone has this lens? Is it a good 50mm for quality and sharpness?
Any test online to see wide open shots?
Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens, but full with fungus!
At 1.4 pretty soft, but at all other ranges work well.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any shot to see? Have you got?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One fast preview -
http://www.fotoblog.lv/img/97615/?cid=48

Not bad lens at all i think Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seem very good, in my opinion:-)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did few boring test shots on 5D.

Pluses:
+ good contrast and sharpness stopped down to f2 and onwards
+ saturated colors
+ low CA
+ very good field sharpness (at FF is very sharp stopped down already to f5.6)
+ small and light
+ well build for a "cheap" lens
+ very smooth bokeh

Minuses:
- low contrast wide open
- somehow I don't like its color rendering. Sometimes is very saturated, but lacks vividness and natural rendition of better lenses
- at sunny days is contrast in shadows too strong (details in shadows are lost)
- rendering of small details, textures and object edges is visibly worse than better lenses (even stopped down to f5.6)

But overall the Revuenon is definitely lens capable of interesting results if you can get it for fair price.

@f1.4

@f2

@f4

@f8

Comparison shots:
@f1.4 and @f2.8

@f1.4 and @f2.8

@f1.4 and @f8

@f1.4 and @f5.6

@f1.4 and @f2.8

@f1.4 and @f2.8

@f1.4 and @f2.8

@f1.4 and @f2

@f1.4 and @f2.8

@f1.4 and @f2.8

@f2.4 and @f4

Last edited by BRunner on Thu May 05, 2011 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
I did few boring test shots on 5D..............Minuses:.............- at sunny days is contrast in shadows too strong (details in shadows are lost).............................

It depends to the exposure that you chose.If you exposed for the high lights only, the shadows almost always will be underexposed. Not matter if the lens has high or medium contrast

If you take the pic at F/8 and the details in the shadow need F/4 to be visible, the shadow will be a black mass without any detail. And the hich or medium contrast of the lens has little importance here. IMHO.

In the digital way, as in slide, like you know yet, it's better to avoid high constrast scenes when you want shadows with some details

The lens isn't so guilty here.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My description of this behavior is probably little bit vague...

I see in your lenses list, that you own Summicron 2/50. This is the lens, which is my etalon for shadows rendering.

With Summicron shadows are very open, you can see lot of details in the shadows, but truly deep shadows are black. On the other side, some contrasty lenses render most of the shadows very dark (details are lost), but truly deep shadows are not so black as with Summicron, this can be seen in low contrast lighting conditions...
My english is bad, so I hope, you get my point. I think this has nothing to do with exposure.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this image will illustrate better, what I mean:

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
My description of this behavior is probably little bit vague...

I see in your lenses list, that you own Summicron 2/50. This is the lens, which is my etalon for shadows rendering.

With Summicron shadows are very open, you can see lot of details in the shadows, but truly deep shadows are black. On the other side, some contrasty lenses render most of the shadows very dark (details are lost), but truly deep shadows are not so black as with Summicron, this can be seen in low contrast lighting conditions...
My english is bad, so I hope, you get my point. I think this has nothing to do with exposure.

Well, you have chosed one of the better (if not the best 2/50 mm lens of all the eras), the summicron M 2/50. And you are right. It's a lens with a good contrast (the new ones over all, although prefer the DR 7elements)

About the shadows deep, you are right again. Some lenses have more contrast than others and the shadow rendering change too.

But AFAIK, the details in the shadows are exposure decisions. And the lens with low or medium contrast will give to you, perhaps, more details than the lens with high contrast, because the internal reflections can help to expose the details. If you exposed to the high lights, the lens (high or medium contrast) will give the shadow without details, with almost any lens. We are talking about a escene where the ratio is high, with high contrast.

But in escene with medium ratio, medium contrast, perhaps a medium/low contrast lens let you obtain a details in the shadows.

If you know the lens that you have, the exposure may contemplate it to obtain details in the shadows.

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I have a Summicron-R 2/50 in the first version, but this behavior is similar for all Leica lenses I own. Only the later made after 1990 have deeper blacks and more neutral color rendering (the green cast is missing).

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

BRunner wrote:
Actually I have a Summicron-R 2/50 in the first version, but this behavior is similar for all Leica lenses I own. Only the later made after 1990 have deeper blacks and more neutral color rendering (the green cast is missing).

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but i have a (maybe stupid) question here: how do you know the year of manufacturing of a Leica lens ? Something in its S/N ?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get roughly year of manufacture of every model from S/N here:
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/R_Lenses_x_Focal_Length

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
Maybe this image will illustrate better, what I mean:

Excuse me, I didn't see it before.

Begining from the facts that the images were talen with the same cam, same light, same meter and same place. And with the zone 5 parameter.

It seems to me that the summicron (perhaps SC) has less contrast. And let see the complete range tonal. As you know, the first R lenses, as the M series (till 1969) had the resolution power as the premium and the contrast was medium, not high.

But it's very difficult to say anything about, because I don't know the parameters taken to do the test.

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good test!Smile
I see a little glow wide open, possible?
Could you post a photo of the lens? Is it MC version? Thanks.