Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar f1.9/35mm test shots.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Vivitar f1.9/35mm test shots. Reply with quote

A few weeks ago I`ve won an auction on the bay for a nice Canon AE-1 set among which was this little gem of a lens. It, of course came in a Canon FD mount, but luckily I had just received an adapter to my NX20 and today I took the lens out for a spin. The day was very nice so all shots were taken a ISO 200.

My first impression of the was that it was rather big. I know that it`s an f1.9, but most wide angle lenses that I had/have a way smaller and lighter than this one. Don`t take me the wrong way, it feels great in your hands. Focus is nice and smooth. The lens has a very shallow DOF, but I had no problems focusing with it, even if the NX20 does not have FP.

Optically I found the lens to be a nice surprise. At wide open the lens is super soft. There are a lot of purple fringing and some CA visible in the pics, but the the subjects have a nice dreamy look. When you stop the lens down to f2.8 all changes and the lens becomes, in my mind sharp. Go down to f5.6-8 and you have razor sharp images with just a tiny decrease in bokeh, which is amazing. I did notice that corners of the image tend to be considerably less sharp at all f stops. Also the lens is quite prone to flare so a hood would be nice.

All in all the lens does have a nice character, but is it worth paying 200$ I`m not quite convinced. I did compare it to my newly received Samsung NX f2/30mm and found them to be very different. The NX is sharp all the way, the Vivitar is not. Vivitar has a dreamy look and an outstanding bokeh , whereas NX bokeh does not have as much charm.

Anyway, enough of my blabbering. Here are some of the shot`s I was able to do.

Around f5.6

Wide open at ~ 60-70cm away.

Wide open at ~ 40cm away

Around f8

Wide open. This pic shows the dreamy look I had in mind.

This one was either f4 or f8 I can`t remember Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar f1.9/35mm test shots. Reply with quote

A few pics showing the flare, which was quite easy to get.

At wide open. The sun was facing ~ 70 degrees right and you can see some minor flaring.

I`ve stopped the lens to f 5.6 and changed the angle of the sun by merely 5 degrees and this is what I get:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar f1.9/35mm test shots. Reply with quote

These 2 pics show the difference between the vivitar and nx f2/30mm. Both shots were wide open .

First the NX:

And the vivitar:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar f1.9/35mm test shots. Reply with quote

I will alto try and use this lens in dimmer light to see how well does the softness of the f1.9 mach the warm light. For now, the lens looks like a keeper. I`ll be sure to try it out on portraits as well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue May 10, 2016 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been a friend of overexposed washed out images, this lens can do much better (I have it)!

And btw. it is not the light, it is the correct exposure...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like those pictures, they will PP beautifully and show the capability of the lens. Yesterday I bought the brother lens, in poor condition, the 28 / 1.9. Today I cleaned slight fungus, stopped the focussing ring from rattling about and repaired the aperture mechanism! Shocked
I got to try it for an hour or so late this afternoon, and I am very impressed. These 1.9 Vivitars come with a good reputation, It's looking like they deserve it.