Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

leica r3 electronic compatible lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: leica r3 electronic compatible lenses? Reply with quote

Hi all,
can anybody tell me of alternative lenses for this camera as the main lenses are horrendous prices. Saw a vivitar lens somewhere so other makers must do them? Is there any adaptor to get the m42 lenses to fit it? Any help on this matter greatly appreciated.


PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use tamron adaptall lenses (with the proper adapter of course). Although the adapter is quite difficult to find and a bit expensive, is not as expensive as leica R lenses.


PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leica R mount lens distance 47mm , longest from all 35mm camera lenses what I know , this means no infinity with any lens without additional glass I expect adapter never made. You can try to have medium format lenses + adapter any of them will works, such as Pentacon Six, Kiev 60, Kiev88 , Pentax 645 etc


PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. Attila, do you think you could be so kind as to point me towards an adapter to fit any of the medium format lenses?


PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron is excellent idea, T and T2, TX, T4 mount lenses too I entirelly forgot them Embarassed

I not found any for P6 , only for Hasselblad ...

This is T mount adapter so many cheap lens available with this mount.

Click here to see on Ebay

Tamron
Click here to see on Ebay


PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May better to sell camera body and buy more compatible one, I wasn't amazed much about body, n+1 camera body do same.


PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila. I would like to try it for a little while but will sell it i am sure. I don't understand the t2 t mount adapter (it is cheap so i will buy it), is it only long lenses will fit or will it take 35, 50, 135mm lenses? If so could you point ve to an example, even on the forum would be good. Thank you for the help, i know you are busy!


PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seek ebay T mount lens, most will come with longer focal length , but made in all.

Just like this extreme 12mm

Click here to see on Ebay


PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, thank you very much boss!


PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the adapter for the tamron lenses

Click here to see on Ebay


or


Click here to see on Ebay


Tamron lenses are good and you can get them very very cheap.


PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one buys a leica body to use the great leica lenses. i don't understand why you want to put something else on it. get a minolta xe-7 if you want to do that.


PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:
one buys a leica body to use the great leica lenses. i don't understand why you want to put something else on it. get a minolta xe-7 if you want to do that.


I saw many leica R bodies go for really decent prices lately, and i was curious to try one, just to see how it worked and felt.
I never did because of the cost of the lenses (and because my curiosities come and go in 2 mins): i mean, i was curious, but not thousand euros curious.


PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:
one buys a leica body to use the great leica lenses. i don't understand why you want to put something else on it. get a minolta xe-7 if you want to do that.


+100


PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:
one buys a leica body to use the great leica lenses. i don't understand why you want to put something else on it.


I will try to enlighten you Wink If we all went by that logic nobody here would use an adapter or a different lens on any camera. I would think the majority of people try different lenses on different cameras, even some of the great photographers in the 50's used nikon lenses with leicas. Also, we are not all blessed with an endless supply of cash as some of the posts above have so rightly pointed out. So in answer, experimentation and economics.

Oreste wrote:
get a minolta xe-7 if you want to do that.
Been there, done that, as they say Wink


PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxcastle wrote:
Oreste wrote:
one buys a leica body to use the great leica lenses. i don't understand why you want to put something else on it.


I will try to enlighten you Wink If we all went by that logic nobody here would use an adapter or a different lens on any camera. I would think the majority of people try different lenses on different cameras, even some of the great photographers in the 50's used nikon lenses with leicas. Also, we are not all blessed with an endless supply of cash as some of the posts above have so rightly pointed out. So in answer, experimentation and economics.

Oreste wrote:
get a minolta xe-7 if you want to do that.
Been there, done that, as they say Wink


+1000

Totally agree, leica prices are simply ridiculous, it is great glass but like Attila pointed in another Max post (about buying an old Leica body) the price/performance ratio is not worth it when you have other lenses that perform very similar for a small fraction of the price of a leica. Rich boys toys as he said. Anyway, everyone might have its own opinion. That is mine.


PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inombrable wrote:
maxcastle wrote:
Oreste wrote:
one buys a leica body to use the great leica lenses. i don't understand why you want to put something else on it.


I will try to enlighten you Wink If we all went by that logic nobody here would use an adapter or a different lens on any camera. I would think the majority of people try different lenses on different cameras, even some of the great photographers in the 50's used nikon lenses with leicas. Also, we are not all blessed with an endless supply of cash as some of the posts above have so rightly pointed out. So in answer, experimentation and economics.

Oreste wrote:
get a minolta xe-7 if you want to do that.
Been there, done that, as they say Wink


+1000

Totally agree, leica prices are simply ridiculous, it is great glass but like Attila pointed in another Max post (about buying an old Leica body) the price/performance ratio is not worth it when you have other lenses that perform very similar for a small fraction of the price of a leica. Rich boys toys as he said. Anyway, everyone might have its own opinion. That is mine.


again, the point of owning a leica is to put leica lenses on it and have them function fully. you can buy any camera to put other, cheaper lenses on it. an xe-7 is basically the same body. it would make more sense to do that. minolta lenses are plentiful and cheap.


PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP was curious about Leica R3 body and wasn't spend lot of money for genuine Leica R glass, he will solve his curiosity with cheap glass user experience will not less than with Leica R glasses. Just same when many of has Sony NEX, Canon 5D etc bodies, user experience about camera bodies not less than with Canon or NEX glasses.


PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:

again, the point of owning a leica is to put leica lenses on it


Yes and no.
Surely the lenses mean a lot, but the camera does too. I use my M9 with no Leica lens and yet I am enjoying it enormously.


PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Oreste wrote:

again, the point of owning a leica is to put leica lenses on it


Yes and no.
Surely the lenses mean a lot, but the camera does too. I use my M9 with no Leica lens and yet I am enjoying it enormously.


ok, but i was talking about the r3 purchase. he'd be better off with an xe7 (US name) if he wants to get plenty of cheap lenses. minolta md and earlier mc lenses are plentiful and cheap.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Minolta_XE


PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:
Orio wrote:
Oreste wrote:

again, the point of owning a leica is to put leica lenses on it


Yes and no.
Surely the lenses mean a lot, but the camera does too. I use my M9 with no Leica lens and yet I am enjoying it enormously.


ok, but i was talking about the r3 purchase. he'd be better off with an xe7 (US name) if he wants to get plenty of cheap lenses. minolta md and earlier mc lenses are plentiful and cheap.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Minolta_XE


Like the boss and Orio amongst others have said, i can try the body out with the cheaper lens and get an idea of wheter i like the camera or not, we all do the same with our other cameras, the whole point of the forum is about using manual focus lenses, often with digital or other cameras, hell some of these guys are even modding them! Shocked When i bought it i was not under the illusion that i was going to get leica quality lens pictures without a leica lens Smile

Like i said above, i have the minolta and am happy with it, will be interesting to me to see how the leica (with non leica lens) compares. I somtimes even contemplate using a non minolta lens on the xe7, weird i know, but when the going gets weird the weird turn pro!


PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxcastle wrote:
Oreste wrote:
Orio wrote:
Oreste wrote:

again, the point of owning a leica is to put leica lenses on it


Yes and no.
Surely the lenses mean a lot, but the camera does too. I use my M9 with no Leica lens and yet I am enjoying it enormously.


ok, but i was talking about the r3 purchase. he'd be better off with an xe7 (US name) if he wants to get plenty of cheap lenses. minolta md and earlier mc lenses are plentiful and cheap.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Minolta_XE


Like the boss and Orio amongst others have said, i can try the body out with the cheaper lens and get an idea of wheter i like the camera or not, we all do the same with our other cameras, the whole point of the forum is about using manual focus lenses, often with digital or other cameras, hell some of these guys are even modding them! Shocked When i bought it i was not under the illusion that i was going to get leica quality lens pictures without a leica lens Smile

Like i said above, i have the minolta and am happy with it, will be interesting to me to see how the leica (with non leica lens) compares. I somtimes even contemplate using a non minolta lens on the xe7, weird i know, but when the going gets weird the weird turn pro!


The Leica R-3 camera is all but identical with the XE-7 Minolta body (different mount and meter system is main difference). Putting a non-Lieca lens on an R-3 gets you no advantage over doing the same with the Minolta body. The point of having a Leica body is to have full use of Leica lenses. If you like the R-3 you will like the XE-7 and vice versa.


PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreste wrote:
The point of having a Leica body is to have full use of Leica lenses.
I fundamentally disagree on that and would like to quote one of my favourite photographers on this very issue: "every photograph in "This is war" was taken with a leica camera, but fitted with nikkor lenses.... to our utter amazement that their 3 standard lenses for 35mm cameras were far superior, in our opinions, to any 35mm standard lenses available on the open market - british, american, or German. Except for our wide-angle and extreme telephoto lenses - over 135mm- where we thought the german products to be still superior, we sold every other lens in our outfits and re-equipped with only nikkor lenses"

my point is, that if some of the greats thought the combination of leica lenses and cameras were not an unalterable combination, i see no reason why i cannot learn from their experience. "Truly for you awerence nothing is written" Wink


PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxcastle wrote:
Oreste wrote:
The point of having a Leica body is to have full use of Leica lenses.
I fundamentally disagree on that and would like to quote one of my favourite photographers on this very issue: "every photograph in "This is war" was taken with a leica camera, but fitted with nikkor lenses.... to our utter amazement that their 3 standard lenses for 35mm cameras were far superior, in our opinions, to any 35mm standard lenses available on the open market - british, american, or German. Except for our wide-angle and extreme telephoto lenses - over 135mm- where we thought the german products to be still superior, we sold every other lens in our outfits and re-equipped with only nikkor lenses"

my point is, that if some of the greats thought the combination of leica lenses and cameras were not an unalterable combination, i see no reason why i cannot learn from their experience. "Truly for you awerence nothing is written" Wink


What are you talking about? That must have been the Korean war, using old screw-thread Leica rangefinder cameras. That obviously has nothing to do with this discussion.

Let me rephrase:

The point of owning a Leica R-3 rather than a Minolta XE is so that you can put Leica reflex lenses on it and have them couple. You gain nothing otherwise.


PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: leica r3 electronic compatible lenses? Reply with quote

I think that what Max was asking in this thread was for an alternative to use on an R3 body, not if you would like the idea or not, like i said everyone has his own opinion, as valid as the one from the other person, but only two people in here have answered the original question!!

Shocking really !!!


maxcastle wrote:
Hi all,
can anybody tell me of alternative lenses for this camera as the main lenses are horrendous prices. Saw a vivitar lens somewhere so other makers must do them? Is there any adaptor to get the m42 lenses to fit it? Any help on this matter greatly appreciated.


PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: leica r3 electronic compatible lenses? Reply with quote

inombrable wrote:
I think that what Max was asking in this thread was for an alternative to use on an R3 body, not if you would like the idea or not, like i said everyone has his own opinion, as valid as the one from the other person, but only two people in here have answered the original question!!

Shocking really !!!


maxcastle wrote:
Hi all,
can anybody tell me of alternative lenses for this camera as the main lenses are horrendous prices. Saw a vivitar lens somewhere so other makers must do them? Is there any adaptor to get the m42 lenses to fit it? Any help on this matter greatly appreciated.


It makes no sense whatsoever to do so. Simply get an XE-7 and you can put all kinds of Minolta or Minolta-compatible lenses on it. There are very few off-brand lenses for Leica R mount. The R-3 is basically identical to the XE-7. That is the correct answer. There are probably hundreds of thousands of Minolta MC and MD lenses and off-brand lenses to fit Minolta out there, at very cheap prices. There is no reason to prefer the Leica R3 to the Minolta XE-7 if you don't want to put Leica R lenses on it.

The Minolta bodies are available cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minolta-XE-7-35mm-SLR-Film-Camera-/220970438956?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item3372dd512c