Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar T 80mm f2.8 in Exakta mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar T 80mm f2.8 in Exakta mount Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful .. that's one of the lenses I'm looking for Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed beautiful samples! Colours, rendering and bokeh are just amazing with this lens Shocked ...
Wich cam did you used for this serie???

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you -

@std-I hope you find yours.
@pich900- I used it mounted on a Sony Alpha 700.

I am starting to love this lens although I have not modified it .

Something from yesterday:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures!
How did you mount the Exakta lens to the Sony Alpha? With infinity?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
Thank you -

wow, excellent!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks "NikonD"

Minolfan wrote:
Nice pictures!
How did you mount the Exakta lens to the Sony Alpha? With infinity?

Thank you.
M39 to M42 adapter held down by a rubber "O" ring . M42 to Sony Alpha adapter . I have not explored into adjusting for infinity yet . I like it like this for now. Very Happy

Last edited by Kathmandu on Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
I'll have to try that with my BM 80mm 2.8!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:
Kathmandu wrote:
Thank you -

wow, excellent!

Yes.
Very, very good !
Nice colours and image format. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merci beaucoup- Olivier. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving an old lens thread and sharing some more images . All taken wide open-if I remember correctly.] Very Happy

regards

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely colours Smile Is this the same as the P6 lens I wonder? I have one sitting on my shelf... Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Lovely colours Smile Is this the same as the P6 lens I wonder? I have one sitting on my shelf... Very Happy

Thanks. I couldn't tell you if they're the same- Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know either.
But I wonder wether the P6 has the same optical design as the Volna-3. I guess yes.
When looking the Volna-3 compared to this one, if volna-3 is the same as the P6 Tessar, I don't think they are the same. Smile

As far as this one is concerned, Kathmandu, it gives good pictures. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

I think different , take out and use it!

I still miss this lens in this variant, congrats!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

I think different , take out and use it!

I still miss this lens in this variant, congrats!

+1 Yea Graham, it would be nice to see some images from it-give it a little workout- Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
I don't know either.
But I wonder wether the P6 has the same optical design as the Volna-3. I guess yes.
When looking the Volna-3 compared to this one, if volna-3 is the same as the P6 Tessar, I don't think they are the same. Smile

As far as this one is concerned, Kathmandu, it gives good pictures. Very Happy

Yes I have come to respect this lens' quality -build, coating and image quality.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice 3D and color rendering ... Time to buy an Exakta-to-EOS adapter before these lenses become too expensive Twisted Evil ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
Very nice 3D and color rendering ... Time to buy an Exakta-to-EOS adapter before these lenses become too expensive Twisted Evil ...

You will love this lens "indianadinos" Very Happy-hope you find one.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

HI guys,

This is indeed a fun lens. Great pics as always, Kathmandu.

I have a similar lens. If yours is the same model as mine, it isn't the same as the P6 version lens (for Pratisix or Pentacon 6 cameras), but it does have some hidden secrets.

The first few pics here show you what my version of the lens looks like. If you have the same version as I do, if you remove the three small grub screws which release the 35mm Exakta mount, you will find - another odd 3-lobed mount hidden below. I believe this mount was for the old post war Exakta 66 - see the pic of the '66 from Ivor Mantanle's Collecting and Using Classic SLRs His two books are incredible by the way!!!!

You never know what you are going to find in these old lenses! Apparently very few of the Exacta66's were sold between launch in '54 and final demise around '62, so maybe a bunch of the normals - the bayonet-mount 80mm f/2.8 Tessar with spring-loaded pre-set diaphragm were refitted with 35mm Exakta mounts!!!!

This was not that unusal for the East Germans. The 180mm f/2.8 Sonnar, for example, when supplied for the Praktisix or Pentacon 6 (P6 mount), is in fact an adapted Exakta-mount lens. The P6 mount clicks off revealing a standard Exakta mount below. Now, why VEB Pentacon would supply a lens with the mount for another manufacturer's (Ihagee's Exakta) camera is wierd. Although, they were both East German. See p225 in Ivor's book for more details. One of those details is that the 80 f/2.8 Tessar made for the original Praktisix/Pentacon 6 is "better than the Meyer 80mm f/3.5 Primotar, but less than brilliant." Ivor's words.

Enjoy shooting with this classic!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wowz! I just opened mine. How in god's name did you figure that out. Thank you so much. Now I can start looking for an Exakta 66 to M42 mount, and "everythings gonna be alright". Amazing what you can find out at Mflenses.

I read that P6, Kiev 60 and the Exakta66 share the same Practsix mount-so better chance for an adapter.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Kathmandu on Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:52 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
Wowz! I just opened mine. How in god's name did you figure that out. Thank you so much. Now I can start looking for an Exakta 66 to M42 mount, and "everythings gonna be alright". Amazing what you can find out at Mflenses.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I think I originally discovered the mount while trying to clean the rear element! I learn something new on here everyday. I just ordered some M39-M42 adapters so i can try your o-ring trick to see if I can mount some of my normal Exakta lenses to the 5D Mii without interfering with the mirror.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a Canon user and have heard of the" mirror hitting " problem from some lenses . If you're going check out your other lenses to see how they work-its a quick and easy way to do so.

The "O" ring I use is from Raymarine plastic thru-hull Transducer Stems-it seems to fit snugly yet allows for the M42 thread to catch on to the mount.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a beautiful, bulky and heavy (Zebra)Jena Sonnar 180mm f28 that has a Pentacon 6 to M42 mt. on it. I have the lens sitting in the sun -the mount is not coming off easily. I am hoping that the hot summer sun will loosen up the mount enough for me to take it off. Very Happy -so I can try it on the Tessar.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
I have a beautiful, bulky and heavy (Zebra)Jena Sonnar 180mm f28 that has a Pentacon 6 to M42 mt. on it. I have the lens sitting in the sun -the mount is not coming off easily. I am hoping that the hot summer sun will loosen up the mount enough for me to take it off. Very Happy -so I can try it on the Tessar.

Definitely worth a try. The Tessar I have has the Exakta 66 mount which is quite a bit smaller than the P6 mount, however. Also, I'm not sure the back focus for Exacta 66 and P6 are the same.