Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 58mm f2 44-2 vs 44-4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Helios 58mm f2 44-2 vs 44-4 Reply with quote

Which one is better?
Differences? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them both, I'll have to take some test shots.

I think the basic answer is 44-4 is slightly sharper but 44-2 has more aperture baldes so better bokeh slightly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And about 58 f2 44m simple? Which one is it better?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 'M' denotes multi coating whereas earlier versions like 44-2 have lesser coatings.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M doesn't denote multi coating I'm afraid. Multicoated lenses are marked MC in the Helios series.

The lenses are all very similar, and production quality variances are more likely have an effect on your photos than the particular model number, in my experience!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basicly get the 44-2 if you want that swirly effect.
If you dont, try to get the one with the biggest number.
The resolving power went higher with every version.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
M doesn't denote multi coating I'm afraid. Multicoated lenses are marked MC in the Helios series.

+1 ... If i remember well, the -M suffix denotes the M42 versions, while the -K suffix denotes the Pentax-K versions ...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danistuta wrote:
And about 58 f2 44m simple? Which one is it better?

I have the 44 (later renamed as 44-2) and the 44m and I can't tell the difference yet. The 44m has auto aperture and an A/M switch (the only model with A/M switch AFAIK). The 44/44-2 has manual aperture with dual aperture rings - a system that I like. I also have a Zeiss Biotar and it's indistinguishable from the 44 model. Maybe if I would start testing them formally, I might see some differences, but so far, in practical use, I don't.

Get whichever you can find in better condition, and if you have doubts, get more models. Find for yourself. Life is too short to entertain doubts Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very sharp 44-2 (at >f=4) with a wonderful bokeh, but it has big problems with front light.
I tested the 44M-7 version once, it has less problems with flares and is a sharper in the center, but also a little softer in the edges. I wasn't able to test the bokeh. But comparision ist not easy, because there's a lot quality speading.

I still prefer the 44-2

Some 44-2 Testshots:

Bokeh

A picture with strong flare. Flare costs so much contrast that the picture looks nearly like black and white.

This effect can be used for some pictures

Resolution/Sharpness

original size:
http://datenkeule.de/dl.php?file=file1302964600DSC06164.JPG
(Hold "Strg" and press "+" or "-" in Firefox to zoom in and out)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: FSU lenses Reply with quote

Great use of Flare!

Any lens that flares is fine if it can be mated to a hood, especially if of portrait length, as these are on m4/3 cameras.

Thanks for the tests!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three copies of the 44-2, two made in 75, one made in 76, two different factories. My 44-M4 is from 84. I really can't tell the difference but the 44-M4 feels more solidly built. If anything, the 44-2s have slightly more swirly bokeh and the 44-M4 is slightly sharper but it's really hard to tell a difference.