Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

85/1.8 Nikkor-H goes to the park
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: 85/1.8 Nikkor-H goes to the park Reply with quote

I wanted to take just one lens and see what I could get...knowing I was limited in getting close-up...but it turned out just fine...

These are NEAR 100% crops (just to have SOME space around the birds) with my 85mm/F1.8 MF Nikkor on Canon 40D...

(left edge) @ F5.6 - 8 (?)

@ f2.8...

Last edited by mfkita on Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:23 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crisp and clear the first one.
The second one, ISO 1000 appears to be too much.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Crisp and clear the first one.
The second one, ISO 1000 appears to be too much.

ISO is what it is...to get the shot or not....that and the major cropping (it is nearly a 100% crop) = some noise I can accept....
It was in the shade, and I had to use high ISO to stop the action (1/2000 sec) and have at least a little depth of field (f2.8 )....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second shot, noise or not, with the eye peeking through the wing. Perfect capture IMHO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one is incredible for a 100% crop!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

The ibis is ISO 400...and shot in nice contrasty light...( vs. the ringneck dove shot in flat shade @ ISO 1000)...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
The second shot, noise or not, with the eye peeking through the wing. Perfect capture IMHO

...and perfectly lucky, I admit....but that's part of why I like SLR photography......with SLR flapping mirror photography you never know exactly what you'll get....

...and with less than pro-line DSLRs the extra delay of even milcroseconds is critical in action shots like this one...

The dove looks like a women peeking through a fan doesn't it...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you shoot RAW, you can fix 3/4 of the noise in camera raw. At least 3/4.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfkita wrote:
martyn_bannister wrote:

...and perfectly lucky, I admit....but that's part of why I like SLR photography......with SLR flapping mirror photography you never know exactly what you'll get....

...and with less than pro-line DSLRs the extra delay of even milcroseconds is critical in action shots like this one...

The dove looks like a women peeking through a fan doesn't it...

Of course perfectly lucky. There is no way you could anticipate and react to a shot like that. But you got it. With the head in focus and the wing OOF. Which is the main thing Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
If you shoot RAW, you can fix 3/4 of the noise in camera raw. At least 3/4.

It was shot RAW...I just don't like to use NR...I did use a bit of background 'blur' in PS but DPP-NR reduces sharpness of the entire image...

If I had a program in which I could isolate background in RAW and use NR there, I would, but I don't yet have any software that can do that.
And on my monitor, and others I've looked at, the noise isn't objectionable.
...but of course, I have no control over the sharpness level of every monitor out there...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

+1 great captures from a great lens!