Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

99p wonder
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: 99p wonder Reply with quote

Hi folks

I only paid 99p for this lens but I'm shocked at how nice the renderings it produces are. It's a rotten day here today, dull and wet but I still took it out for a spin, what do people think? I like the bokeh a lot and I think it's pretty sharp, these are all wide open:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the lens is...?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 99p wonder Reply with quote

1) Go buy a lotto ticket before your luck runs out.

2) Don't tease us, what's the lens?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, excellent lens I agree, but which one is it?????? Own up, it's several hundred quid's worth I bet Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
Yeah, excellent lens I agree, but which one is it?????? Own up, it's several hundred quid's worth I bet Smile

Truth is I paid 99p plus 4 quid shipping from evilbay so 4.99 total.

I removed the bayonet and replaced it with one from a broken Canon AF zoom lens, fits on the EOS body perfectly.

Seller said the focus was a bit stiff and the aperture a bit sticky, but they can't have known much about cameras as both seem perfect to me, aperture switch was in A position, moved it to M and it is smooth as silk, no click stops but it goes from 1.8 to 16. I'd say the lens was in excellent condition.

I don't want to say what it is just yet as I have active bids on 28, 35 and 135mm lenses by the same obscure maker, I'll tell you in a few days, I bet you're really surprised, I was!

In the meantime, please feel free to guess, if anyone does actually guess, then I will own up!

Bought a few 99p lenses, this is the first one apart from a decent Pentacon 2.8/28 that isn't garbage!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, forgot to say, this lens seems very fast indeed, much faster than the 1.8 it is marked with, even though it's a very dull, gray day I had to use some very fast shutter speeds for those test shots as wide open it's very fast indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-one gonna guess? Do you just want me to tell ya?

Here are some more shots I took this afternoon to test the infinity, it focuses a fair way past infinity, but I don't mind that, you can't have everything for 99p!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens , price not refer to it's quality at all Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you want me to beg. I know you do. But I'm not going to. I'm not.............

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to bet on either Fuji bayonet, Miranda or Petri lens. They're all a bit weird Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so it's a nifty fifty f1.8 that no one wants (as you got it for 99p)..........

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I'm going to bet on either Fuji bayonet, Miranda or Petri lens. They're all a bit weird Laughing

And out of the three you mention, about the only brand which might go for 99p is the Miranda? Petri and Fuji(non) are too sought after at the moment I would guess. The mount is probably FD too..................

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are too good...

Only reason I didn't want to say is I didn't want the price to suddenly shoot up before I grab some more!

It's a Petri CC Auto 1.8 55mm.

There are a ton of Fujinon 50s on the bay but mostly f2.2 or f2.0, can't say I've ever paid any attention to Miranda, are they any good?

This isn't the first 99p lens I've bought, just happens to be the first one that wasn't garbage!

I really want a 28mm Petri now, if it will be as nice as this 55mm....

BTW, If I hadn't said it cost me 99p, what would people have guessed it was?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

****There are a ton of Fujinon 50s on the bay but mostly f2.2 or f2.0, can't say I've ever paid any attention to Miranda, are they any good?

This isn't the first 99p lens I've bought, just happens to be the first one that wasn't garbage!

I really want a 28mm Petri now, if it will be as nice as this 55mm....

BTW, If I hadn't said it cost me 99p, what would people have guessed it was?***

There aren't many bad nifty fiftys even a Centon can give good results stopped down:-

Centon 50mm:-