Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 300mm to fit Nikon?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 300mm to fit Nikon? Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if the Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 300mm F4 can be adapted to fit a Nikon D700.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: carl Zeiss Reply with quote

bendle wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 300mm F4 can be adapted to fit a Nikon D700.

I'm sure it can, just depends on how much time/effort/money you are prepared to throw at it.

What mount is it now and how far away from the camera end is the last element?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Reply with quote

The lens is in USA, i would not want to spend too much as i do not know how good this lens is, or what would be involved to adapt this lens to Nikon. I am a bit green in this area and am looking for some advise.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss Reply with quote

bendle wrote:
The lens is in USA, i would not want to spend too much as i do not know how good this lens is, or what would be involved to adapt this lens to Nikon. I am a bit green in this area and am looking for some advise.

Very much depends on what the current mount is. Personally, if you are new to manual lenses, I would only look for Nikon mount stuff, thus saving you the hassle. Most other mounts do not adapt to Nikon very well if you want to keep infinity focus and avoid the use of optical adapters.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a lens for Pentacon 6, it will be pretty easy. All you need is a P6-NikonF-adapter.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Reply with quote

I have had 12 manual focus lens i have been using for some 18 months. I have 4 a the moment, they have all been Nikon mounts, very easy to use.
I guess i was thinking there may have been an easy solution. Nikon seems to be difficult or near impossible to mount any thing other than Nikon mount. I used to use Leica but they have priced me out of their digital range.I have a friend who is able to use his Leica lenses with an adaptor on his Canon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Reply with quote

Yes it is a Pentacon 6 where can an adapter be obtained. Does anyone know anything about the optical quality of this lens

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: I made the title line a bit more clear.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss Reply with quote

bendle wrote:
Yes it is a Pentacon 6 where can an adapter be obtained. Does anyone know anything about the optical quality of this lens

It is fit , this lens exist in P6 mount mostly and oldest one in exakta, quality can be vary from good to outstanding as usual on CZJ items.

It has several versions from Olympic to MC, I have all of them.

From my copies I found MC version is best.

Oldest 'Olympic'

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/sonnar/olympic_sonnar_300mm/?

Zebra

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/sonnar/sonnar_300mm_f4_zebra/?

MC

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/sonnar/300mm_f4/?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 300mm to fit Nikon Reply with quote

Attila thank you for your lens comparisons, can you tell me whether or not if they were hand held and if i am looking at digital or film.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 300mm to fit Nikon Reply with quote

bendle wrote:
Attila thank you for your lens comparisons, can you tell me whether or not if they were hand held and if i am looking at digital or film.

Only Zebra was on tripod, all others are handheld.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow yes! A Sonnar 300/4 is a generally very highly rated lens, from
what I've heard in the past. It seems that it is somewhat close, if not
equal to, the Sonnar 180/2.8?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

latest black MC are same excellent performers. Earlier versions has difference, 180mm is significantly better in earlier revisions.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
latest black MC are same excellent performers. Earlier versions has difference, 180mm is significantly better in earlier revisions.

Thanks Attila! Very Happy