Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Got my hands on a mint Jupiter-21a
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Got my hands on a mint Jupiter-21a Reply with quote

I grabbed a mint Jupiter-21a yesterday.

What a beauty, compared to the 21m. Thinner, lighter and with pre set operation. It has been gloomy weather, but so far it seems sharp and contrasty with the expected sonnar bokeh.

Since this is a very rare lens, I can provide you with some comparison shots with my Jupiter-21m if there is an interest.

Meanwhile we wait for some good weather to shoot, I'll be happy to answer any other question that may pop up.

I also have a question. The lens came with three filters, one green, one orange and one slightly blue/gray. Is the last one an ND filter or a UV filter?

BR
T

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about your filter, but do you mind saying what your serial number is? I am trying to collate a small database on this rare lens.
I am sure you will be happy with the results.

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is 000627. What is your reflection on that?

/T

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow you're so lucky!
I would love to get my hands on one(for collection).
Where did you find it?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBee wrote:
Wow you're so lucky!
I would love to get my hands on one(for collection).
Where did you find it?

On a photo forum in Sweden.
What is a mint copy worth do you think?

Hold your eyes opened, I shall get rid of either my 21m or 21a depending on best performance...

BR
T

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you make some picture to show the differences between them?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torbod wrote:

Based on what I've read, I'd say in the 200 to 250USD range.

Have you had a chance to compare it with your 36B at all?
I wonder if there were any optical improvements?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With many Russian lenses, the first two digits of the serial number refer to the production year, the rest of the digits are the actual production number. Some lenses have a small production run that lack the production year digits and consists of just the production number. Your serial number is an example of this. Very low numbers are sought after for their curiosity value. There are quite a few Helios 44's that are numbered like this. I have seen it suggested that these 000' numbers were specially produced for Party members or Factory managers, but I think this sounds unlikely to me. Perhaps they were a preliminary production run, or a production run for domestic sale.

I am aware of the following J21A serial numbers, owned by myself or forum members or seen on the web:-

As you can see, I have only seen examples from a few production years. Maybe production started a year or two earlier and went on a year or two longer. The interesting thing is that there are no numbers in the thousands, suggesting that perhaps less than a thousand were produced in each year. So, maybe only 3-4 thousand lenses in total, plus some undated examples like yours.

So, yes, quite a rare lens !
J21M is much more common, and I believe is still available new.

Difficult to assess value of 21A, as it is rarely seen for sale. An example was recently offered for sale on Ebay for £199, but seems not to have sold. I think maybe £100-£130 is about right, depending on condition and whether it comes with case, filters etc.
I wonder how much you paid for yours ?

Any more serial numbers of this lens ?

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBee wrote:
torbod wrote:

Based on what I've read, I'd say in the 200 to 250USD range.

Have you had a chance to compare it with your 36B at all?
I wonder if there were any optical improvements?

You mean compare to 21M?
I dont have a 36B

I haven anyway, but I have taken some shots with it in dull weaterh. It seems very sharp. Some tiny amount of CA/PF wide open as 21M, but very controlled from f/4.5. The pre set operation is marvelous, and the many blades in the aperture is great., No worrying of stopping down somewhat.

Last edited by torbod on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please send a pic of the lens since it is so gloomy out, like it is here...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

torbod wrote:
You mean compare to 21M?
I dont have a 36B

I haven anyway, but I have taken some shots with it in dull weaterh. It seems very sharp. Some CA/PF wide open as 21M, but very controlled from f/4.5. The pre set operation is marvelous, and the many blades in the aperture is great., No worrying of stopping down somewhat.

Oops, you are correct, I meant 21M!
And yes exactly.
Looking forward to some comparisons with those two lenses btw.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
Please send a pic of the lens since it is so gloomy out, like it is here...

I'll try to post some pics of the lens this evening. the time in front of the computer is heavily discriminated now days when the kids try to adjust to the daylight saving time....

BR
/T

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here it comes. Some gloomy hand held shots and some comparison shots with J21M.

Just resize of jpg in PS, some pics with the slightest USM. All shots at full aperture. Outdoor motives through glass window.

Approximately 250 meters away.

Fully extended

21a wheight

21m wheight

21a bokeh

21m bokeh

21a sharpness

21m sharpness

Optically I would think they are very near or exactly the same judging the images above. I seem to have two very good copies. I must however test to shoot against the sun, where the 21m is lousy with internal reflections in some angles. I hope 21a is immune to that. The color of the coatings are not identical, but very similar.

Neat lenses, yes!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for this great lens!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow what a beautiful lens!

Please look me up if you ever decide to part with it!
I would love to add this one to my collection.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even in the bokeh comparison shots A shows a bit more contrast than M.