Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

100% crop details from a Distagon 2.8/28 image
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: 100% crop details from a Distagon 2.8/28 image Reply with quote

Please refer to this thread for reference:

http://forum.mflenses.com/a-walk-with-distagon-2-8-28-mm-t11152.html

This is the whole photo resized (hand held, f/5.6):

And these are 100% unsharpened crop details from it:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, CARL ZEISS!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that lens! I hate you, Orio! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
I love that lens! I hate you, Orio! Laughing

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is quite a lens.
One of the true "bargains" as well.
The big 3 can not compete with this FL for 3 times the price. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that amazes me the most, is how "3D" it looks in the second and third enlargement. I feel like if I can hold the marble!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is simply amazing!!! Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CZ Distagon 28/2.8 must be top three in value for mf lenses.

If it is soft at corners or edges, that would be cut off on crop sensors.

I have seen the sharpness, and subtle gradations of tone, adding up to Zeiss super 3D realism with this lens.
You can see it here, though a Zuiko might be dull on contrast and keep your highlights on the light tone masonry.
Or, stay with the CZ 28/2.8, and I would use Sigma ISO 50, under-expose slightly or until I bring in the highlights,
then ISO 50 should keep the shadow noise-free, and then we can keep the Zeiss on there.

I may just get rid of everything but Zeiss. I would not feel egalitarian or open-minded if I started at that point, but maybe it is going there.
Zeiss Zeiss Zeiss. If you were closer to that bus, maybe Hollywood 28/2 instead?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I love the excellent sharpness of the 2.8/28, I must say that the Hollywood is a step above,
because it is one of those lenses that not only do the job, but also put their fingerprint on it, if you know what I mean.
Of course, one must like the Zeiss look, which is not of everyone's taste. There is people that prefer lenses that render
with less contrast and smoother tones. It is really a matter of personal taste ultimately.

Then as you rightly point out, it is also a matter of camera/lens interaction (or film/lens interaction, for those who use film).
For instance, I think that the EOS-Zeiss match is excellent, because the CMOS in EOS cameras deliver very smooth tones and subtle gradations,
that can become (in my opinion) dull and boring when used with bland lenses like some of the EF lenses are.
The Contax lenses with their acutance counter-balance the characteristics of the EOS cameras and deliver -for my own taste- a perfect balance.
It would be nice to see the interaction of these Contax lenses with other digital cameras, but so far, I could not see many samples on the net.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobDodds wrote:
If it is soft at corners or edges, that would be cut off on crop sensors

the 28:2.8 have perfect border on film, even better than on cropped dslr
almost all wide lens get bad on FF digital and users have to close to F11 & F16 to get decent border
if a lens was good for 30 years and suddenly get bad with digital, maybe you should open your eyes and blame digital sensor, not the lens
apart for the problem of angle of incidence of light that sensor cannot deal with, digital bokeh is so bad that everything out of focus get awful
closing to f16 help bring everything in focus and naturally lens with less curvature have advantage here
we forget all characteristics of a lens, keeping lens that perhaps give better corner but have weak all the others parameters
isn't strange that lens that have harsh bokeh on digital get smooth on film
isn't strange that lens that get sensor bloom have no problem on film
sensor are new technologies and have a lot to improve
digital image don't have grain and can be sharpened and enlarged more
but with all the IR filter and electronic limitations, they still cannot match natural sharpness of film

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio

Has to be one of the best lenses available

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just found a site with adapters for Contax to K and to M42.

http://www.leitax.com/zeiss-contax-lens-for-pentax-cameras.html

I adapted this lens to Sigma SA, but it might be possible to use those K adapters and just put a 1.5mm spacer under them. In other cases, the M42 adapter would work, such as with Planar T* 85/1.4. 35/1.4?

Leica R, too.

reduser.net shows hd video RED cam can take EOS and Nikon F lenses, which they do to get some oof and bokeh like film cams. They could then use Contax to EOS adapters and M42 to PL or M42 to EOS adapters with "our" manual focus lenses. Otherwise, video cam lenses focus on everything from near to infinity--pity them! In the opposite direction, we could sometimes wish for their dof for macro on dslr.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobDodds wrote:
I have just found a site with adapters for Contax to K and to M42.

http://www.leitax.com/zeiss-contax-lens-for-pentax-cameras.html

Ah, I'd heard about these mount mods for Zeiss/Contax->Pentax. This would be great, since, I guess I could mod the lens, make it K mount, then use a K->EF adapter to share the lens with my 5D?

Ooooooh, Planar and Distagon, here I come! :-DDD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

The 28:2.8 have perfect border on film, even better than on cropped dslr
almost all wide lens get bad on FF digital and users have to close to F11 & F16 to get decent border
if a lens was good for 30 years and suddenly get bad with digital, maybe you should open your eyes and blame digital sensor, not the lens
apart for the problem of angle of incidence of light that sensor cannot deal with, digital bokeh is so bad that everything out of focus get awful

The 28/2.8 has never been reknowned for its bokeh...Its reknowned for its sharpness which is something film has never been reknowned for BTW.
So it actually works better in front of a decent digital sensor than it does with film.

poilu wrote:

closing to f16 help bring everything in focus and naturally lens with less curvature have advantage here

Sounds like your not familiar with the diffraction characteristics of digital sensors...No crop format digital camera users in their right mind would ever consider using f16, unless it was when using close up corrected lenses specifically for macro use, and nor would they ever have to.
Firstly this is because crop format sensors have an inherrantly deeper DOF per f-stop than FF sensors or 35mm film.
This can be both a negative and a positive...The negative aspect is that the crop format user has to use wider apertures to get the same shallowness of DOF as those using FF or 35mm film, but its a positive because most lenses are a lot sharper at wider apertures than they are stopped down past f11.
Then there is diffraction to take into account, with most digital cameras suffering very noticably from diffraction at at apertures of f11+.
But again, the greater DOF per f-stop charactersistic of crop format digital cameras becomes another advantage as you dont need to stop so much to get everything in focus as you would with FF or 35 film.
In practice, this means crop format digital users can take adavantage of never needing to stop the lens down to more than f8 say, where all lenses are far sharper than at f16, to get everything in focus.

poilu wrote:

we forget all characteristics of a lens, keeping lens that perhaps give better corner but have weak all the others parameters
isn't strange that lens that have harsh bokeh on digital get smooth on film
isn't strange that lens that get sensor bloom have no problem on film
sensor are new technologies and have a lot to improve

They have already been improved...Never heard of Foveon X3 sensors?

poilu wrote:

digital image don't have grain and can be sharpened and enlarged more
but with all the IR filter and electronic limitations, they still cannot match natural sharpness of film

That may be true with Bayer/CFA digital sensors but not with Foveon X3 sensors.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG, I think 28/2.8 is, according to reviewers, alleged to have edge to edge sharpness and 35/1.4 is supposed to be a bit soft at edges in comparison, but of course we know that f16 is to be avoided. SD14 format would crop off any soft corners of 35 and several other lenses notorious for soft corners.

I have been using my CZ Distagon 28/2.8 on Sigma SD14 lately.
http://www.pbase.com/recbo/cz28_28&page=all

I think it has smooth bokeh. One thing I wonder about is whether it has as nice color on people's faces as 35/1.4 which is undeniably great for color. I'll have to shoot them in the same lighting some time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have to use a Dremel tool to make sure the old Contax plate is not rocking around against back of SA plate. I think Orio's 28 is sharper at infinity, but I am sure my 28 is sharp at less than infinity. I have since learned to grind the C/Y and SA plates to nest correctly without trial and error.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: salsomaggiore terme Reply with quote

salsomaggiore terme...
i know salsomaggiore terme.... i like very much adriano's pizza (leon d'oro)
well...orio... i live near salsomaggiore terme ... in a city called fidenza...
Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but i prefer mine
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33530174@N05/4621980644/sizes/o/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metallaro1980 wrote:
but i prefer mine
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Metallaro, my crops were not sharpened...