Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 37A
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Jupiter 37A Reply with quote

I am surprised to find no thread in this gallery for Jupiter 37A.
Please add to it if you would like.
Here are a couple of mine from this glorious spring morning:

@100% crop

@100% crop:

I hope you are not tired of grevillias yet - not much else in our garden at present except the early azelias
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Some pics more - contri Reply with quote

OH,

Good idea, this lens deserves a gallery for it.

Contributing with some pics:

DV2013_5763-lzn por Renato Augusto Salles, no Flickr

DV2013-5724 por Renato Augusto Salles, no Flickr

DV2013-5718 por Renato Augusto Salles, no Flickr

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red salvias are beautiful Renato.
Here is another from this afternoon:
OH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH,

Sharp and colorful, really nice!

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens continues to surprise.

@100% crop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supermoon23.6 by abhiraay, on Flickr

Two States...... by abhiraay, on Flickr

velvia 100 -jupi135/3.5 by abhiraay, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Some photos from my version of Jupiter 37A (not multicoated) 87xxxx. This is one of my favourite lenses, it's sharp, renders beautiful colours and is joyful to use. I couldn't decide which photos to post, so there's few of them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great examples!!!

Thanks for all.

A little question, where is the CA? The lens is almost free of CA or PP did his work?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that the great lens. I hope to get a copy in this winter too. Razz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
Great examples!!!

Thanks for all.

A little question, where is the CA? The lens is almost free of CA or PP did his work?

Hi,

Actually I didn't notice that before you mentioned it Very Happy . I'm sure I didn't remove any CA in PP work, so it seems this lens is free of it.

Here I post some examples of possible CA situations with 100% crops so you can judge by yourself. A little bit of CA is visible on 1st and 2nd photo if you look at the crop.

/Hello moderators, if this post violates Best of Lenses idea, please remove it/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful rendering - great lens.
Everyone should have one.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got my J37A today, and I go out for a short test. Due the riany winter and the late afternoon, I have a few opportunities now, but I have to say that I'm perfectly satisfied with the quality-build-IQ triangle.

Here is two pictures I shot; both of them had a small color correcting, and a cat had a slight sharpening.

As the first two images with this lenses (and overall in the world of mf lenses), I'm pretty satisfied with them, even if there are some sharpness-focus problem with them. Smile
But: spring is coming, so I'm going to gather more and more skill with this bad boy. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday there was a chance to test the lenses some more situations, so I go out at the early morning and later at the afternoon. Here are some samples 'bout the ability of the lens (on an EOS 1100D, by my mf-newbie hands):

Morning:
#1:

#2:

#3:

#4:

#5:

#6:

Afternoon:
#1:

#2:

#3:

#4:

#5:

I hope y'all enjoy that storm of images. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful light.
Great lens
OH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos Peter, I like this lens very much as well. My copy has original (any other for 135mm would be great as well) lens hood and it does real good job when shooting with strong light.
You said that you're new to mf, well it's hard to believe Wink as the results are great.
If you don't know about MagicLantern for Canon Dslrs, try it as it has some very useful features for focusing manual lenses with LiveView (my personal favorite is 5x or 10x auto magnification on selected focus point when I half-press shutter button). As I remember it is available for 1100d, and I couldn't imagine mf lenses without it.

Cheers
Mateusz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomLord wrote:
Great photos Peter, I like this lens very much as well. My copy has original (any other for 135mm would be great as well) lens hood and it does real good job when shooting with strong light.

Yep, my copy has the original lens hood and hard plastic lens case too. I used the hood at the afternoon walk after a few shots against the sun; and the hood does a pretty good job. At the morning walk the hood wasn't on the lens, and since the sun was too low (i was out at 7:38 am; the sun rose at 7:26 am), it had no use anyway.

PhantomLord wrote:
You said that you're new to mf, well it's hard to believe Wink as the results are great.

Thank you sir! I tried my best. Smile By the way, I'm in the beginning for real; from ten pictures, there are five or six where the focus is on the desired place. But that is not that bad yet, I think. Smile

PhantomLord wrote:
If you don't know about MagicLantern for Canon Dslrs, try it as it has some very useful features for focusing manual lenses with LiveView (my personal favorite is 5x or 10x auto magnification on selected focus point when I half-press shutter button). As I remember it is available for 1100d, and I couldn't imagine mf lenses without it.

I heard an read about the MagicLantern, and I find that is still beta-ish on 1100D, so I haven't tried it yet. Maybe a bit later, when I see some real evidence 'bout it on the 1100D. Smile Anyway, I tried the "built-in" live-view, but from hand (and with the J37A) it was highly useless by the shaking. I have a cheapo tripod, so I'll test it while the camera is mounted to that; that LiveView stuff is so cool. I just purhased an EOS-M42 adapter with a focus chip (my recent adapter haven't got it), I hope that little thing will help me a lot. Especially since with the chipless adapter I can't shot a video with the Jupiter; the camera thinks that there are no lenses attached.

Thank you for your kind words,
cheers,
Peter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Peter,

I'll be honest with you, when considering focusing, chip adapters are pretty useless. I have plenty of M42,P/K to EOS adapters with simple chips as well as with EMF chips which allow Micro Focus Adjustment, but in the end of the day I think only LiveView is 100% reliable. About shaking, I also had such problem, but with longer lenses. However solution for me was buying LCD Loupe (like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Portable-V3-LCD-Viewfinder-Loupe-for-Canon-600D-/380642644321?pt=UK_Photography_Viewfinders_Eyecups&hash=item58a011d161) what gives me possibility to support the camera on the eye like you do with normal viewfinder. It's great solution as it's a lot easier and gives more pleasure to compose a photo with this than just on plain liveview with all distractions all around.
Other probably good solution is to buy special focusing screen with microprism for manual lenses, but it's a little bit costly, as for my 600d it is from 80Euro for a proper, not Chinese one. I didn't test this idea, but from other members feedback it seem to work about 90% of the time.
EMF chip adapters are good for recording EXIF information, as you can program into it focal length and max aperture for your manual lens, which appear later in EXIF data with your photos. This is useful feature for me.

I don't know if the "Best Lenses Gallery" is the proper place to discuss this, but maybe moderators won't be mad Wink

Regards
Mateusz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This LCD loupe looks funny. Very Happy But if it's work, who cares? I'll look up if there is an 1100D version of it.
I hope that I didn't make a bad trade with the focus-chip'd adapter, and it could help a litte bit.. I'll train my eye and hand to find the correct focal point, but if the adaptor's trick slightly corrects me at the end, it will do it. If I have a chance, I'll test out the LiveView function more properly.
Thanks for your tips, Mateusz! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Jupiter 37A Reply with quote

Hello,

Those shots were really sharp, i love colors.
I am also looking for a 37A.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Jupiter 37A Reply with quote

tmprSornet wrote:
Hello,

Those shots were really sharp, i love colors.
I am also looking for a 37A.

Cheers.

Yes, it is a very good lens.
There are plenty on ebay of course and sometimes there is one for sale here on the lenses marketplace - although the last one was about a year ago.
Ebay is probably your best bet.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. still waiting for a bargain, almost all items there are 80$ above + shipping... Thanks. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmprSornet wrote:
yeah. still waiting for a bargain, almost all items there are 80$ above + shipping... Thanks. Very Happy

There are quite a few under that price including postage if you look at eastern Europe/Russia.
A great lens
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomLord wrote:

Other probably good solution is to buy special focusing screen with microprism for manual lenses, but it's a little bit costly, as for my 600d it is from 80Euro for a proper, not Chinese one. I didn't test this idea, but from other members feedback it seem to work about 90% of the time.

There are at least two challenges with custom split screens (I've experienced that with Canon's only; however I don't think it is very different across brands):
1) Calibration - it's always off even with best brands out there. You need shims, skill and patience to achieve precise visual confirmation.
2) Light meter is not working correctly in most cases (only few bodies have option for different focusing screen installed). Typical effect is overexposure with closed aperture.

And regarding Jupiter 37A - take them until they are cheap. It's real gem (especially with MC coatings). In PL it is not hard to get them for 20-30 EUR with shipping.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with pavko. I bought my copy of Jupiter 37A for 12Euro with shipping within Poland. I recommend lookig at: allegro.pl (similar to ebay) and tablica.pl (it's more like board where people post their sell advertisements).

Cheers
Mateusz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love this lens.
Thanks for the tip, is it safe to buy there? I'm from Philippines btw.